Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > XFree86

XFree86
ktolis
Mar 4, 2002, 03:59 AM

Hello..

does anyone know if XFree86 has any hardware acceleration on OSX?
am using 10.1 and when I tried to run XDarwin (the latest installer) I couldn't get any decent framerates with any window manager in any window manager in rootless and rooted mode...

am I doing anything wrong or is there no acceleration
in XFree86 for OSX ? (not Drawin...OSX)

is there maybe another package (free/nonfree) that offers hardware acceleration (2D & 3D)?

thnx

P
Mar 4, 2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by ktolis:
<STRONG>Hello..

does anyone know if XFree86 has any hardware acceleration on OSX?
am using 10.1 and when I tried to run XDarwin (the latest installer) I couldn't get any decent framerates with any window manager in any window manager in rootless and rooted mode...

am I doing anything wrong or is there no acceleration
in XFree86 for OSX ? (not Drawin...OSX)

is there maybe another package (free/nonfree) that offers hardware acceleration (2D & 3D)?

thnx</STRONG>
If you use the IOKit mode (meaning that you kill Quartz and enter the command line interface - you do this by logging in as "&gt;console") there is graphics acceleration (provided you board is supported by XFree86, but most are). This is equivalent to using Darwin.

If you use rootless mode, some operations are accelerated in OS X, but most are not. Improving this situation is one of the two major goals of current XDarwin development (the other is a built-in native window mananger). Using a window manager like OroborOSX will improve the L&F of X11 and make the speed hit seem less noticeable.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ktolis  (op)
Mar 4, 2002, 12:22 PM

well.. I think blackbox would be the best option..but on osx this is still slow... (pismo@500 / 640MB RAM)... lets see if the people at XFree get somthing out of their hat at may (4.3 release date..)

Forum Links
Forum Rules