Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod problems..

iPod problems..
ktolis
Dec 8, 2003, 02:40 PM

I have an iPod (2nd generation). I was a very happy user for about 6 months.. I recently formated the iPod with disk utility to HFS+Journaled. It couldn't read the songs although iTunes could upload them and OS X could see them clearly.. I guess it can't read the journaled hfs+..

I did a restore on the mac with the mac version of the firmware so it was ok again.. later the same week I restored the firmware with the pc version of the firmware.... so I had fat32 on the filesystem...

all went fine for about a week... after a complete battery depletion I tried to mount the iPod again.. when I plug in the firewire cable the firmware reboots and the iPod recharges but it won't show on osx, iTunes AND Disk Utility.. any help?..

can this be fixed or must I go to an apple service center? is the iPod's warranty international?

thnx

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by ktolis:
I have an iPod (2nd generation). I was a very happy user for about 6 months.. I recently formated the iPod with disk utility to HFS+Journaled.
Why did you do that in the first place?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

ktolis  (op)
Dec 8, 2003, 06:14 PM

does it really matter?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 12:11 AM

you didn't have to format with Disk Utility before restoring your ipod unless you are trying to cover up something and had to zero the disk.

I am having some problems with my iPod to about this effect.

Have you reset the iPod?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

Have you tried to wipe it?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61771

The last one will wipe your drive and then you need to open disk Utility and then do a restore.

or like me you might have a hardware problem (what I am guessing is wrong with my ipod) but I think it is just because you messed with the drive.

ktolis  (op)
Dec 9, 2003, 10:06 AM

hmm.. I have done several resets and still nothing..

the thing is that when I plug the firewire cable on the iPod after I do a reset and then press forward and backward buttons the message doesn't say do not disconnect but "ok to disconnect"...

any clues?

Truepop
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 06:57 PM

when the problem of not showing up in the finder/itunes started, did it say ok to disconnect or did it just show the Apple logo?

ktolis  (op)
Dec 9, 2003, 07:47 PM

Firewire comes in.
Doing a reset on the iPod
after the Apple Logo I press forward and backward at the same time. after a small pause the ok to disconnect appears

the correct should be do not disconnect...

Forum Links
Forum Rules