Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Hosting and working on a campus G5

Hosting and working on a campus G5
bedoughty
May 9, 2005, 04:22 PM

I work for a Student Life department of a colorado university. I need to redesign our site, and I'm considering hosting it ourselves. We have a dual 2.0 G5 powermac (1 GB ram) that I don't do much more than graphic design work on. (Running Tiger) Ideally, the site would be some kind of a CMS system, like Mambo or maybe just a blogging system like MovableType or Wordpress. I am the admin of this machine so I can install anything I need to accomplish this; software and whatnot is not what I'm concerned about.

What I'm wondering is: do y'all think this machine could handle it, while I'm doing daily office stuff, and assuming that we have the typical bandwidth available to your typical public university student life office. If a speed test helps, here is the latest test I did at dslreports.com. Yea, it's weird that my down and up are so mismatched. Something I should talk to our IT about.

Please let me know your thoughts and any other information you might need to make a decent assessment. I'll probably start playing around with this later on this week.
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

larkost
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 06:33 PM

It is generally a bad idea to host a web site on a computer that is being used as a desktop machine. You probably don't need much processor power to host your website (I would guess you don't get many hits), so just get a cheap box like a mini and be done with it.

bedoughty  (op)
May 9, 2005, 06:47 PM

Ooh Larkost, there's another angle.. we're planning on getting a fair amount of traffic as our site is the hub for events, student health insurance, notebook lease programs and a few other random things. But how 'bout this: do you think a Mac mini could handle the job if I did what you recommended and just left it dedicated to the task?
-
this isn't who it would be
if it wasn't who it is
-T.Anastasio

larkost
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 08:59 PM

Simple answer: yes.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 10, 2005, 01:57 PM

Can't they host it on a university server? IMHO, a Mac is wasted as a web server. Considering you can get a solid host for $25/month with full backup, plus every extra under the sun.

Some univ. require them to be local.

Forum Links
Forum Rules