Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Clone HD to a new Powerbook 1.67

Clone HD to a new Powerbook 1.67
john h
Mar 22, 2006, 05:06 PM

I have a new 15" G4 Powerbook 1.67 Titanium on the way. It of course comes with OS 10.4.
I am going to sell on eBay my 15" G4 Powerbook Titanium running 10.4.5. It is cloned to a Lacie external drive and is set-up just the way I like it. Never once have I even had a kernal Panic so I know the system is in good shape. I have run TechTool on it and Disk Warrior and all is well.

When my new computer arrives I would prefer to just clone my old HD right back on it as it would save me hours of installations and I like what I have. Is there any reason not to clone my drive back to my new computer. Both are G4's running 10.4.5. Only difference is the new computer has an 80GB HD and the old one 40GB and of course an 867mh vs a 1.67mh.

I am going to sell my G4 Titanium 867 on eBay. I plan to erase the HD and install OS X for the buyer and furnish him with an original OS X retail disc. This retail disc does not have OS 9 on it. I guess I will have to install the original Panther OS that came with the computer which should have OS 9 on it and then install OS X over it? Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance.

john

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by john h
I have a new 15" G4 Powerbook 1.67 Titanium on the way. It of course comes with OS 10.4.
I am going to sell on eBay my 15" G4 Powerbook Titanium running 10.4.5. It is cloned to a Lacie external drive and is set-up just the way I like it. Never once have I even had a kernal Panic so I know the system is in good shape. I have run TechTool on it and Disk Warrior and all is well.

When my new computer arrives I would prefer to just clone my old HD right back on it as it would save me hours of installations and I like what I have. Is there any reason not to clone my drive back to my new computer. Both are G4's running 10.4.5. Only difference is the new computer has an 80GB HD and the old one 40GB and of course an 867mh vs a 1.67mh.

I am going to sell my G4 Titanium 867 on eBay. I plan to erase the HD and install OS X for the buyer and furnish him with an original OS X retail disc. This retail disc does not have OS 9 on it. I guess I will have to install the original Panther OS that came with the computer which should have OS 9 on it and then install OS X over it? Does this make any sense? Thanks in advance.

john

You're better off using Migration Assistant to copy over users and applications.... in case some ports are not recognized!

john h  (op)
Mar 26, 2006, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
You're better off using Migration Assistant to copy over users and applications.... in case some ports are not recognized!
Received my new Powerbook 1.67 from MacMall. I decided to clone my old HD from my LaCie external drive to the new PB as I had never used Migration Assistant. It worked perfectly and my new PB works perfectly. When all the bugs are worked out of the new Intel models I will take a new look.

john h  (op)
Mar 26, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc
Interesting thing. I purchased the Apple Care warranty from MacMall when I purchased the new PB 1.67. When I went to activate the warranty on the internet it would not work. I called Apple. They informed me they had delivered the PB to MacMall about 6 months ago and that because of this I would have to send them a receipt showing date of purchase from MacMall to activate my Apple Care. Nothing happens easy these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules