Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > What would you do?

What would you do?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2006, 02:41 PM

Hi,

I had another post asking about people with the lower memory slot issue, but no response. Here's the situation:

I have a chance to pick up an aluminum powerbook 1ghz for $500. After seeing it, I was amazed at how nice it was. The screen was recently replace so that is brand new. The cosmetics are great, and everything works fine. And most importantly for me the airport extreme picks up the signals better than when I had my previous aluminums.

The one bad thing about is the lower memory slot issue. Again it works perfectly, but it is out of warranty.

Is this a good deal that you would take for $500? Do I have to worry about the logic board dying out suddenly when it is working fine with the 1 memory chip? I only need the machine for basic portable needs, mainly web browsing, typing, some music, movies and photos.

And for the powerbook in my sig, I have already several people in line who are willing to pay about the same amount, so this is like an even trade in terms of money.

What would you do?
I Love This Forum!
Macbook Pro 2ghz 2gb/250gb/256 Video/wireless n
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

john h
Mar 30, 2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by kmarketing
Hi,

I had another post asking about people with the lower memory slot issue, but no response. Here's the situation:

I have a chance to pick up an aluminum powerbook 1ghz for $500. After seeing it, I was amazed at how nice it was. The screen was recently replace so that is brand new. The cosmetics are great, and everything works fine. And most importantly for me the airport extreme picks up the signals better than when I had my previous aluminums.

The one bad thing about is the lower memory slot issue. Again it works perfectly, but it is out of warranty.

Is this a good deal that you would take for $500? Do I have to worry about the logic board dying out suddenly when it is working fine with the 1 memory chip? I only need the machine for basic portable needs, mainly web browsing, typing, some music, movies and photos.

And for the powerbook in my sig, I have already several people in line who are willing to pay about the same amount, so this is like an even trade in terms of money.

What would you do?
Sounds like a steal to me if it is as nice as you say. I am selling a Ti PB 867 and my current offer is $750. I expect the price to go up. It is in mint condition with a lot of extras and I am giving the buyer a 7 day return with money back if he does not like it. It has an Aiport Extreme, Bluetooth D-Link, 768 RAM, USB 2.0 Card with two USB 2.0 ports and all the original manuals, box, retail disc for Word X, and Office 98 and other good stuff. Since I basically used it as a desktop computer and used a full size screen and keyboard the keys and trackpad have hardly been touched. If you can run TechTool Pro on it prior to buying it would be worth while as you can check some of the hardware in the computer.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2006, 04:33 PM

or maybe just run the system check thats on the hardware test cd that comes with the machine...$500 is definitely a steal though.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 05:05 PM

Pay the 500.00, run.... run as fast as you can..... and do not look back. Get my drift. That is a great deal!
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone, I bought the powerbook. It really is a great machine. I've had aluminums before so I'm not new to them, but I could never justify keeping +$1000 laptop for what I needed it for. But at this price it doesn't feel like such a huge it.

The only things that I am worried about it is 1. the memory slot and 2. It doesn't go to sleep when i close the lid, so I have to put it to sleep manually.

Do you think that I will be able to keep the machine as-is, or will the logic board eventually just totally die on me?
Do you have any suggestions with the sleep issue?

I can't believe how good the screen is - no white spots or any imperfections that other older aluminums have had.

Let me know about the issues,
Thanks!!
I Love This Forum!
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 05:58 PM

I'm not clued up enough to know why the memory slot issue (which you haven't really explained) would put your logic board at greater risk than it would be anyway. I don't see why it would.

But look at it this way. I recently sold on my identical 12" AlBook to an Apple dealer for $300, when its logic board failed. And some people on this forum told me I was being ripped off. So chances are, even if your logic board fails, you'll still be able to sell the machine on for almost as much as you paid for it.

Looking at it from every angle, I can't see how you can possibly lose.

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks mintcake, that definitely made me feel better.

I really hope that nothing happens further with the logic board, and like you I think that it shouldn't get worse. I was hoping for people that have this memory slot issue to chime in and say that it works fine with 1 chip and that's the way they kept it.

Thanks again!!
I Love This Forum!
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

romeosc
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2006, 08:44 PM

Buy Safeware.com Insurance! If the memory slot or motherboard goes out.... they will replace it free! Damage would be caused by an electrical surge or mysterious damage!

kmarketing  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2006, 05:00 AM

Hey,

Safeware sounds interesting. Can I purchase that for the powerbook if I am not the original owner?

How much does something like that cost?

Thanks so much!
I Love This Forum!
Mac Mini C2D 2ghz/4gb/SD

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 31, 2006, 05:15 AM

Getting insurance to cover a 2K laptop is one thing, but to cover a $500 laptop...that's like getting comprehensive on a 1984 Camry with 150,000 miles.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 1, 2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mad cow disease
Getting insurance to cover a 2K laptop is one thing, but to cover a $500 laptop...that's like getting comprehensive on a 1984 Camry with 150,000 miles.

No it is based on value at time of insurance! Aboy $60 a year for $1500 value.... covers ipod, printer, etc. as well!

Forum Links
Forum Rules