Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > wth happened to Halo?

wth happened to Halo?
saviorass
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 03:56 AM

A long time ago, there was a lot of fuss about getting Halo out on time, then all of the sudden, the status and talk about it dropped off the face of the earth any news anyone?
Break yourself down and suck my floppy drive

AlphaQuam
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2001, 09:01 AM

Well, don't forget that Bungie was bought out by Microsoft. Microsoft is coming out with the Xbox in the fall. Don't expect to see Halo out on any platform before it's released for the Xbox (just like Office for OS X won't be out until after WinXP is released).

I believe we won't see a version until early 2002 sometime...

Hope that helps...

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 26, 2001, 11:13 AM

For clarity's sake, Microsoft hasn't suddenly pulled a fast one. They're billing Halo as a premiere X-Box title, so until the X-Box is released, desktop gamers (PC and Mac both) are in the lurch. Bungie is still hard at work on Halo, and despite the rantings of angry gamers, both PC and Mac versions are being planned. Every Monday, MacGamer.com posts their weekly Halo update. That should give some consolation, at least.
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

saviorass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2001, 07:20 PM

what pisses me off is that halo was supposed to come out on the mac a long ass time ago (atleast thats what i read). fn microsoft, gets me damn po'd

ktolis
Jul 27, 2001, 08:07 AM

hmmm...I think you are confusing something here...

HALO for the mac (9.xx) is out and working very good.
The people at Bungie clearly stated last time (E3) that they are working on the optimisation part for the GeForce3 on the XBox. The game is supported on all machines and the only problem is the release date which if M$ is correct is about november or december 2001 for the Xbox and January to February for PC & MacOS

...dudes..read the news...(carefully)

c ya

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2001, 10:03 AM

ktolis, that IS the problem. The X-Box release date is DEFINITELY holding back the release of HALO for the Mac. If Bungie had not been bought by Microsoft, then us Mac gamers (along with the PC gamers) would be playing HALO right now. Instead, both, us Mac gamers and PC gamers, have to wait until the X-box is released and then probably wait another month or two after the X-box is released, because Micro$oft wants to hype the X-box.

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

saviorass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2001, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by ktolis:
<STRONG>........ox and January to February for PC & MacOS

...dudes..read the news...(carefully)</STRONG>
read the news...(carfully)

[ 07-28-2001: Message edited by: saviorass ]

Arty50
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2001, 02:00 PM

Blah, blah, blah. Forgive my tone, but this has been rehashed a million times. The X-Box will get Halo first, and the Mac and PC versions will be released simultaneously a few months later. Everyone thinks the Mac version is delayed, dead, etc. Remember, we will be getting it at the exact same time as the PC folks. Bungie has not forgotten where they made their name.

And most importantly, the X-Box version will not be nearly as good as the Mac/PC version. The X-Box version will not support net play since the console will not have that capability until next summer at the earliest. So multiplayer on the X-Box involves split-screen, which is vastly inferior to having the screen to yourself.

So in the end who cares if the X-Box gets it first. The Mac/PC version will offer faster gameplay at higher resolutions with fully net-based multiplayer features. Basically, playing Halo on the X-Box will be similar to playing Quake III on the PS2 or Dreamcast (except the DC Q3 has netplay). It will stink in comparison.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

saviorass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2001, 03:54 PM

see, what i dont understand is, if they already have the computer versions done and ready, why dont they get them out, BEFORE the x-box comes out?? makes no logical sense to me, except for the fact that micropanzies want to get their product out first, but still...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2001, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by saviorass:
<STRONG>see, what i dont understand is, if they already have the computer versions done and ready, why dont they get them out, BEFORE the x-box comes out?? makes no logical sense to me, except for the fact that micropanzies want to get their product out first, but still...</STRONG>
That IS the reason. The only one. M$ knows that for the X-Box to survive they need a killer app(game) that is ONLY available for their system. Halo is it. But unlucky for them it is already done for Mac and Windows, so all they can do it delay it till they have had a chance to monopolize it for the X-Box.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

saviorass  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2001, 03:35 AM

go fig huh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules