Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto 1.1.1 released

iPhoto 1.1.1 released
Epicurus
May 8, 2002, 09:24 AM

Apple has updated their web page releasing iPhoto 1.1.1

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by Epicurus:
<STRONG>Apple has updated their web page releasing iPhoto 1.1.1</STRONG>
but not for download....the link is broken.

[edit] i lied, it is back up.[edit]

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: ThisGuy ]

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2002, 10:21 AM

Sigh
Still no Linen-bound book and print ordering services for anyone outside north America. I hope we see it before Christmas. Great gift ideas.

qaramel2001
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 10:28 AM

Sigh
Still no Linen-bound book and print ordering services for anyone outside north America. I hope we see it before Christmas. Great gift ideas.
Should we start a campaign with apple europe? I'm from Spain and also would like to see it!
iMac G4 700 Mhz
512 Mb Combo-drive
OS 10.1.4

murk
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 10:31 AM

This is nuts. I installed 1.1 when it was available last week. It was an improvement in speed over the previous version. The spinning beach ball of death showed up much less. Since 1.1.1 is the official release, I thought I should install it, but apparently that was a mistake. The beach ball shows up every time I move the zoom button. Is this because I installed over 1.1? Is anyone else having this trouble?

triangle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 10:44 AM

Yep it's here, but export is badly broken. At least for me, anyone else?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2002, 10:53 AM

The Enhance (Auto Levels?) code is still inside iPhoto (instructions here), so why didn't it make it into official release?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mattcunnane
May 8, 2002, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by triangle:
<STRONG>Yep it's here, but export is badly broken. At least for me, anyone else? </STRONG>
Yeah, me too. Have you installed BetterHTMLExport? It get's copied into the new iPhoto and appears to break the export feature.

I opened up iPhoto's package contents and dumped the plugin. Export now works.

To be on the safe side, I've just done a clean install (i.e. I deleted the old iPhoto before installing the new version).

Matt

MickS
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 11:27 AM

I installed over iPhoto 1.1 but have no third party plugins installed. Export works for me.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by mattcunnane:
<STRONG>

Yeah, me too. Have you installed BetterHTMLExport? It get's copied into the new iPhoto and appears to break the export feature.

I opened up iPhoto's package contents and dumped the plugin. Export now works.

To be on the safe side, I've just done a clean install (i.e. I deleted the old iPhoto before installing the new version).

Matt</STRONG>
BetterHTMLExport 1.3.6 was released because of that in 1.1 - did you update?

triangle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 11:35 AM

Yes it was the toast export plugin, once removed everything looks oke.
Hope an updated version will come soon.

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 11:47 AM

Odd, photos I import have weird lines/breaks in them... anyone else seeing this?

-mpm

oeyvind
Senior User
May 8, 2002, 12:00 PM

For those that care (and low on disk space), remember to trim down all new unwanted language resources from all the new iApps...

trimming away all but English, Korean, Trad & Simp Chinese save me 40MB of space for iPhotos.

HOWTO: Trim away unwanted language resources in native Mac OS X application

HAbaRI
May 8, 2002, 06:17 PM

iPhoto 1.1.1 is crap. I never knew that an app can be SOOO slow! it feels like i'd be using photoshop in virtual pc or something.

the one reason i installed it was that it now keeps the image filenames as the title. this alone ought to be worth the update. unfortunately it's not usable for me anymore. nothing but spinning cursors.
It's a sig. What did you expect?

CraigC
May 8, 2002, 08:48 PM

One problem that I still have with the new version is that the library organization is inaccurate. From appearances, it would seem that the pictures are organized by iPhoto into folders by the creation date of the photo. However, in my iPhoto Library, there are photos put into folders that do not match any date associated with that photo: EXIF, creation, modification. Some photos were put into folders 2 years earlier than the picture was taken.

Michael T. Doyle
Forum Regular
May 8, 2002, 10:37 PM

Yet again I've downloaded iPhoto (last time 1.0, this time 1.1.1), played with it for an hour, and deleted it in disappointment. I guess I'm just spoiled by my tried and true, and regularly updated, Graphic Converter. Sure, iPhoto is free. But what can Graphic Converter do for, what, a $30 or so shareware fee that iPhoto can't...or won't?

Utilize the Finder's own folder system (which, of course, lets you keep all your named and nested folders) instead of needlessly creating an arcane, application-specific archive, for one. Not be an awful memory suck, for another. Allow far more editing options. And still manage to let you create a photo webpage, just like iPhoto.

I can live without an Apple-branded printed photo album and a QuickTime musical slide show in order to retain the ability to organize my photo folders in the Finder. Even with 1.1.1, iPhoto still managed to take me back to 1994 when I was still in the Wintel world, running Windows 3.1 over DOS. In other words, using overhyped software jerry-rigged over the real operating system.

[ 05-08-2002: Message edited by: Michael T. Doyle ]
Mike Doyle
Chicago, IL

asxless
Mac Elite
May 8, 2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by CraigC:
One problem that I still have with the new version is that the library organization is inaccurate. From appearances, it would seem that the pictures are organized by iPhoto into folders by the creation date of the photo. However, in my iPhoto Library, there are photos put into folders that do not match any date associated with that photo: EXIF, creation, modification. Some photos were put into folders 2 years earlier than the picture was taken.
On my TiBook the photos are placed in a folder whose name/hierarchy corresponding to the day I _imported_ them into iPhoto. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Edit: FWIW iPhoto 1.1.1 converts the file name into a time stamp YYYYMMDDHHMMxxxx (where xxxx is probably miliseconds) based on the time of import.

asxless in iLand

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: asxless ]

Doerter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 11:10 PM

I'm not sure what is going on but since I've upgraded to 1.1.1, everytime I run the "slide show" if freezes in the middle of a transition between pictures. The music still plays but the rest of the machine is dead... can't force quit or anything. I end up having to hit the reset button. I've tried it 5 times so far, with different pictures and/or different music but I get a total lockup everytime.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2002, 01:03 AM

I'm not sure what is going on but since I've upgraded to 1.1.1, everytime I run the "slide show" if freezes in the middle of a transition between pictures. The music still plays but the rest of the machine is dead... can't force quit or anything. I end up having to hit the reset button.
This happened to me in 1.0. I decided not to use that feature anymore. I haven't tested in 1.1.1, cuz I got a good uptime goin.

Juggler
Forum Regular
May 9, 2002, 01:55 AM

Originally posted by Doerter:
<STRONG>I'm not sure what is going on but since I've upgraded to 1.1.1, everytime I run the "slide show" if freezes in the middle of a transition between pictures. The music still plays but the rest of the machine is dead... can't force quit or anything. I end up having to hit the reset button. I've tried it 5 times so far, with different pictures and/or different music but I get a total lockup everytime. </STRONG>
I am having the same problem. This is very frustrating. The Slide Show used to work like a charm with iPhoto 1.0, but now it is just a pain in the ass. Doerter, how fast is your machine? Mine is a powerbook 333Mhz. Maybe is too slow.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2002, 03:12 PM

iPhoto is totally useless for me because it still COPIES EVERY PHOTO to its own weird directory structure. Great, two copies of every pic on my hard drive. Why doesn't it just create links like iTunes?

Folks, check out iView MediaPro instead. It doesn't duplicate them.

If you want to order a book, just create an iPhoto album and delete it after you order the book. Oh, BTW, even if you remove the pics, iPhoto still leaves the folders behind. Real nice.

losgatos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2002, 07:11 PM

1.1.1 is a real hassle. I import photos, iPhoto creates a directory and saves them, but next time I launch it, the pictures don't show up. Can't Export, won't remember to show most recent photos first, crashes when I try to import files. Slooowww, too.

Regretting that I updated from 1.0...
::: losgatos :::
12" PB 1.33GHz

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2002, 07:34 PM

When I run the slide show, it is as if my computer (PowerBook G3 400, Firewire) .... I don't know. Dragging windows around becomes unbearably slow, and the slideshow itself is slower than in iPhoto 1.0.

road runner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2002, 07:39 PM

There is a rather nasty bug in iPhoto that causes it to crash, I am running 10.1.4 on an iMac 600 cdrw, I first noticed it soon after I had installed iPhoto 1.1.1 which updated my existing iPhoto library to work in 1.1.1.....

Steps to reproduce

1. open iPhoto

2. Now select and open a picture.

(at the moment in my toolbar their is "Zoom"+"Fit"+"Rotate"+"Seperator"+"Constrain"+"Cus tom"+"crop"+"Seperator"+"Red-Eye"+"Customize")

3. Click on Customize, and then remove "Red-Eye" (you should see a poof) and then click Done to close the customising pulldown.

4. try and select some of the picture with the mouse.

5. Observe with annoyance at:

"The application iPhoto has unexpectedly quit.
The system and other applications have not been affected."

and yes I have have sent this to apple along with the crash.log

Tarabella
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2002, 09:44 PM

iSloto

Forum Links
Forum Rules