Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > g4 ibook pictures

g4 ibook pictures
moonsocket
Nov 12, 2003, 10:30 PM

got my G4 ibook today.
stock config 800mhz. sure is nice!
here it is!
not the best pictures but there ya go!

Carnage Visors
Nov 12, 2003, 10:48 PM

Just spoke with apple and my g4 ibook should be here today. Woo!

Benjamin
I saw two shooting stars last night,
I wished on them, but they were only satilites,
its wrong to wish on space hardware,
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Billy Bragg -- New England.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by moonsocket:
got my G4 ibook today.
here it is!
whooo prettty =)

Almost makes me want to trade in my old 600 and buy a new one, but I don't think I will it's been such a trooper.

moonsocket  (op)
Nov 12, 2003, 10:56 PM

another billy bragg lover!
cool

Carnage Visors
Nov 13, 2003, 03:05 AM

another billy bragg lover!
cool
Yep I am a billy bragg fan

anyway my iBook arived, I am so happy, this is such a vast improvement over my old slot loading iMac (350MHz one)

Woo

Benjamin
I saw two shooting stars last night,
I wished on them, but they were only satilites,
its wrong to wish on space hardware,
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Billy Bragg -- New England.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 04:17 PM

Just saw Billy Bragg last weekend. He kicked off his "Tell Us The Truth Tour". Brilliant show!

I'm almost there on the iBook G4....
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2003, 07:53 PM

got my G4 ibook today.
here it is!
Those things look incredible. I still haven't had a chance to use one in person, but I am sure that they are great machines.

Congratulations!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

jamester
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 08:44 PM

ty moonsocket for the pics - it was great to live vicariously for a few minutes - a good slideshow. I'm ORDERING my iBook G4 800 tomorrow morning - YAY!

I've got an iBook G3 600 now, and it'll be going to the wife who's become quite taken with it... she never uses PC anymore, hehe.

Hopefully it'll only be a week or two until I get to go through the same opening-the-box process!

James
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 13, 2003, 11:37 PM

Very sweet pictures. I love those out of box pics. Ordered a 933 14" yesterday and hoping it arrives by next week (with express shipping.)

Someone else's (MTrauffer) iBook 14" pics here:

www.paxilprogress.org/ibook/
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

moonsocket  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 12:43 AM

is that a blue tooth module in the USB port?

moonsocket  (op)
Nov 14, 2003, 12:55 AM

also, do you have to buy .Mac when you order your ibook to get the deal or can you get it afterwards?

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 09:45 AM

It looks like one of those keychain jump drives to me.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

DennyA
Nov 14, 2003, 11:38 AM

Looks like you have to order .Mac with the computer to get the cheap price. I didn't, and in the followup emails I got, etc. after the purchase I got no offers of .Mac discounts.

I'd hate to get dependent on it anyway, when the $99 renewal came up. It's a cool service, but the yearly price is a bit steep compared to comparable services (assuming you're not going to use the backup feature, which is admittedly cool). Apple's gotten much more reasonable on some things, but some prices are still a bit out of line with the rest of the industry.

fraeone
Nov 14, 2003, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
It looks like one of those keychain jump drives to me.
Or a non-bluetooth wireless receiver for that mouse.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by fraeone:
Or a non-bluetooth wireless receiver for that mouse.
Ah, oops. Didn't see that wireless mouse. Sherlock Holmes I am not!

pismo-user
Nov 15, 2003, 02:00 AM

Just out of curiosity, why do people buy the 14" iBook? It has the same screen resolution (therefore, the same amount of effective screen size) as the 12" and is basically just bulkier and heavier with no apparent advantage. I'm not bashing, I just would like to know.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by pismo-user:
Just out of curiosity, why do people buy the 14" iBook? It has the same screen resolution (therefore, the same amount of effective screen size) as the 12" and is basically just bulkier and heavier with no apparent advantage. I'm not bashing, I just would like to know.
Well, putting aside readability... Let's say you're watching a DVD. The larger screen would be nice. Let's say you're putting on a slide show for your friends with your latest photos. The larger screen would be nice. Let's say you just like to stare at the iTunes visualizer. The larger screen would be nice. Lots of folks buy notebooks not just for portability; they buy them for versatility.

When it was first introduced, I thought the 14" iBook was a bad idea but I've changed my mind. I've had a 12" iBook for a couple of years and while I like it, have thought about trading up to a 14" model. I might wait awhile longer though, to see if Apple comes out with a wide-screen iBook sometime soon.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by pismo-user:
Choice is good.

I also know people who want an inexpensive laptop but find a 12" screen just too small to view comfortably.

And, pismo-user... the 14" iBook is essentially a modern Pismo!


darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2003, 09:52 AM

I ordered the 14" (just left the TW airport today yay!) because:

1-I will find myself not sitting very close to it, like when I'm sequencing on MIDI devices. The bigger screen (if stretched or not, there is still a larger image) will help.

2-I like the configuration and price point.

3-I'm not that much of a portable user (this will be my first!), but need to be able to take my computer places. I'm trying to break the chains from the desk!

4-I gave away all desk/surface type furniture. Hate having too much bulky stuff.

5-It's replacing an iMac DV SE 400mhz from 1999. The 14" will do just fine considering I'm used to 15" CRT.

6-Tried both the 12" and 14" and found myself wanting to sit too close to the 12" screen just to see comfortably. (This is subjective, I know.)

7-G4 config is faster with the 14"

8-More space to evenly disperse heat within the machine

9-I can sit cross legged on the couch and have the machine propped on my knees better etc.

10-Games look better/bigger, aiming is less strenuous visually. You can see smaller targets sooner given a certain eye distance from the screen.

11-I actually like the space on the sides of the keyboard to grip the laptop with.

12-Been looking at photos of the iBooks for years and spontaneously/intuitively react more favorably to the 14.

It's just the one for me. Although I consider specs/price/features, in the end it it has to FEEL right despite logic.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2003, 11:11 AM

cool...thanks for the pics...and i think the pictures you took look fine i used to have a 600mhz ibook g3...i dont know how much i like the all white...i think apple came out with that right after my model??? looks nice but looks kind of cheap to me..does it feel cheap?

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2003, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by nredman:
cool...thanks for the pics...and i think the pictures you took look fine i used to have a 600mhz ibook g3...i dont know how much i like the all white...i think apple came out with that right after my model??? looks nice but looks kind of cheap to me..does it feel cheap?
I have a 466 Graphite iBook. When the "icebooks" came out I was a bit unimpressed. However, since I don't have an Apple store near me I never got to really use one until last year. Went to the Atlanta and got to play around with a new iBook. Very nice. My wife, who loved the clamshell hated the icebooks until she played with one about a month ago in Durham NC. They don't feel cheap though I miss the handle. They are very stylish and feel pretty solid.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
Like you, I had the iBook 600 (combo, Nov 2001) and just received my iBook G4 800 yesterday. I was very concerned about the case, fit, and finish, compared to my iBook 600 which I considered perfect. I hadn't seen the new iBook until I received mine, but I knew I disliked the iBook 800/900 style. My thoughts:

1. The outer case is different than ours, but it's the best one since the iBook500/600 design. It's not quite as cool, but it looks good.

2. The outer case feels solid everywhere except around the hinge. I tend to grip my laptop there when carrying it and that area is firm on the iBook 600 but it flexes and makes flexing noises on the iBook G4. I'll have to learn not to squeeze it too much there. I think this is metal vs. plastic, but I haven't really checked.

3. The inner plastic around the keyboard is grey instead of silver. This is better than the last iBooks by a mile, but nowhere near as nice as the iBook 500/600 design. It's also not as slick or smooth, which I loved on the old one. But it's okay.

4. The plastic below my left palm creaks a little. There's flex in it. It's rock solid on the iBook 600.

5. The keyboard is firmer. This is supposed to be better but I liked the old keyboard. Too early to say which one I like better.

6. The screen is better. I haven't done enough side by side comparisons yet, but it seems brighter when I switch back and forth during setup.

My partner, who didn't want to hear anything more than the words "it's faster" when I went on and on about the details, and thus isn't a geek like me, looked at it and said he liked the way the old one looked better, both inside and outside. He preferred the way the keyboard looked on the old one. He liked the slot loading drive.

I haven't made up my mind yet about the casing. It's definitely acceptable. I wouldn't have bought the G3 800/900 series due to appearance. I knew the G4 appearance was better but I wasn't sure from photos. I'm happy with the appearance but not sure if I like it as much as the G3 600 look. However, when I balance that with the increased performance, I'm very happy with my purchase.

A couple of extra observations since you have the same model as me:

1. Performance: It rocks. I'm very glad I upgraded.

2. Heat: It does get a bit warmer than the G3 600. Not a lot warmer like a PBook 12, but somewhat warmer. This may be more spread across the bottom although it's still concentrated under your left palm. It's fine in my opinion.

3. Noise: From a cold start, it's quieter than my 600. Hard drive, fan, all quieter. The optical drive is much noisier because it spins faster, more like a desktop drive.

Mike

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by mgl:
6. The screen is better. I haven't done enough side by side comparisons yet, but it seems brighter when I switch back and forth during setup.
I did some side-by-side comparisons. The iBook G4 screen is much, much brigher than the G3 screen. Not just a little bit either. More like an iMac screen.

I also appear to have lucked out with a perfect screen again.

Mike

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 01:37 PM

Since, the pictures are of my computer, I should answer this...

The device in the USB port is a receiver for my wireless mouse. I use a Logitech wireless mouse for notebooks, which was on sale at Staples for $30. This mouse works great. Just plug it in an, there it is...

Still glad I made the switch!!!
I gotta have more cowbell.

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2003, 05:32 PM

7-G4 config is faster with the 14"
Could you explain this?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by nica:
Could you explain this?
The 14" comes with a 933Mhz or 1Ghz G4 processor vs. a 800Mhz on the 12" model

garetjax
Nov 21, 2003, 09:09 PM

got my G4 ibook today.
here it is!
Thanks for the pics!
What's the red button on the right above the keyboard for? Or is it just a sticker?

If you plan on owning for more than a year, make sure you get Applecare.

GJ

moonsocket  (op)
Nov 21, 2003, 09:53 PM

What's the red button on the right above the keyboard for? Or is it just a sticker?

its a sticker. it tells you what button to push to eject the cd

g3_brandon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2003, 02:58 PM

Looks great, even though I won't be getting one (as I just bought a Dual 2 G5, which I love). One little thing I'd like to point out which is something most people don't notice, but Apple does that most PC manufacturers don't bother with. On those pictures, you see the green light around the power adaptor? Apple sends their laptops out of the factory with a full charge, anything less when you get it is just from it sitting there in the box waiting for a new owner. So when you get a new Mac, you just pull it out and turn it on. Most PCs have no battery power on arrival. Just another nice thing Apple does for us.
Brandon
--
Dual 2.0GHz G5, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 Pro

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2003, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
I did some side-by-side comparisons. The iBook G4 screen is much, much brigher than the G3 screen. Not just a little bit either. More like an iMac screen.

Mike
This isn't always a fair comparison. LCDs fade over time, so new displays always seem brighter than old ones.

That's not to say the new screen isn't better than the older one, but it's best to go into it with your eyes open (so to speak)

-- james

Forum Links
Forum Rules