Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > shapeshifter, haxie questions

shapeshifter, haxie questions
cryer
Jul 6, 2005, 04:27 AM

im totally new to this theming stuff with shapeshifter, etc. (but have viewed the many many cool desktops in the screenshots thread) and had a couple questions concerning how safe it is to do this stuff.

first of all.. what is a haxie? is something like this going to potentially be dangerous for my system (crashing or the chance of things being deleted, modified, etc?) this question not only goes for shapeshifter but other unsanity products as well (windowshade and all others).

and application enhancer by unsanity.. does any other product use this thats not made by unsanity? and if i uninstall an unsanity app, does application enhancer stay behind and i have to uninstall it individually? or does it uninstall along with the original app?

also, whenever you try to install an unsanity app, it needs administrator access and asks for your password.. when installing apps in general and this happens, what are the potential risks involved with doing this? im not really talking about something stealing the password, just more along the lines of what could happen if i give it access.. it installs.. and then i find out that the installation messed something up with my system because it needed admin access to change stuff it couldnt change without admin access.

i apologize if these things have been asked but i couldnt find anything searching through the forum. any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2005, 10:51 AM

Don't worry about it asking for a password, that's just a precaution that's built-in to OSX. There are no risks when using it with Unsanity products.

As far as Shapeshifter, and other "haxies" go, while you *may* find a few people that complain of problems with the products, I have found, like thousands of others, that their haxies (and APE in general) are quite stable. Most of the people that complain about it causing problems would most likely be having the problems anyway.

Shapeshifter does NOT ALTER any system files. It simply intercepts (so to speak) the system's call to get a particular piece of the GUI and sends it to another one (the theme).

Changing your desktop is perfectly safe, the only problem you could possibly have is trying to load a 500MB image as a desktop photo... which would surely lead to a major slowdown of the system! :-)
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

cryer  (op)
Jul 6, 2005, 01:16 PM

thanks for the explanation, that really helps me in deciding whether or not to use shapeshifter (which i really would like to do!)

speaking of slowing down the system, would shapeshifter cause my system to slow down at all? even in the slightest bit? for example, being cpu intensive or hogging lots of memory. one major reason, besides the risk of damaging my system, to not use shapeshifter is slowing down performance of my computer. will this happen at all? this question goes for any unsanity apps like windowshade, silk, labels x, or the cleardock app as well

also, about themepark, does this do the same thing as shapeshifter? if not, could i be using both themepark and shapeshifter in conjunction? would this present any conflicts?

and about candybar, any risks involved with using that app? im assuming no but i'd just like to make sure if anyone knows for sure.

ps. what is APE?
( Last edited by cryer; Jul 6, 2005 at 01:23 PM. )

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 01:39 PM

ThemePark is an application to design the graphic elements that make up the GUI. You'd typically save this TP file as a guiKit, ready to apply using ShapeShifter.
ShapeShifter is a System Preference Pane where you can drag-and-drop guiKits to, in order to apply them on your computer interface.
Guikits can contain graphic elements like buttons, but also iconsets, desktop pictures, cursors…

As of me, a few warnings perhaps :

- prior to a System update or Security update, I always follow these steps :

1° set theme and icons to default aqua (using ShapeShifter)
2° log out and in
3° repair permissions
4° apply update
5° repair permissions
6° apply theme (using ShapeShifter)
7° log out and in

- my backup/synchronize app seems to check on app icons (yes I do backup my App folder because of the numerous stationary files, libraries…). If p.e. iTunes is updated, I need to perform a backup/sync action between steps 5 and 6 above.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2005, 01:43 PM

Candybar is safe to use aslong as you don't use the builtin iconchanger in ShapeShifter. There's some conflict there.

I have not noticed any slowdown with haxies and i'm sure you won't either.
( Last edited by Fonzie; Jul 6, 2005 at 01:44 PM. Reason: someone already posted the same thing as me.)
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

smoke-tetsu
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 05:35 PM

You can't use both candybar and shapeshifter togethr they won't let you.

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by smoke-tetsu
You can't use both candybar and shapeshifter togethr they won't let you.
That's funny... I use them both with no problem. Of course, I don't use Shapeshifter for changing icons, maybe that's why I'm able to use them both.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

cryer  (op)
Jul 6, 2005, 08:54 PM

so is shapeshifter's ability to change icons the same as candybar's? or does candybar have more features/options?

Jay Condon
Jul 6, 2005, 09:28 PM

Cryer, take my advice, and avoid candybar, shapeshifter, and ALL Gui haxies. Not so much becuase they're dangerous for your system, 'cuz they're perfectly safe. Also, not becuase of any performance issues you might encounter...my system still runs like a top.

The problem is that is that six months from now, you'll find yourself up at three in the morning, tweaking the upteenth version of a theme mod you've been working on, and wondering what became of your pathetic existence as you strive to create the perfect finder window widget.

Sage
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 10:47 PM

CandyBar has more options (quite honestly, I've forgotten what they are though, because it's been a long time since I last tried CB – I usually use ShapeShifter for changing my icons).

ThemePark makes themes; ShapeShifter applies themes (so, TP is for developers, SS is for users).

APE is a system framework thingie that allows you to install a lot of different hacks (such as, as you know, ShapeShifter). APE is basically what powers Haxies.

ShapeShifter will only cause a minor slowdown when launching apps (since that's when it's "telling" the application to look for GUI resources elsewhere), but it's very minor (less than a second), and it doesn't affect performance at all while you're using the application, just launching. I don't know about other Haxies, although I know ClearDock won't such up any power either.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2005, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jay Condon
The problem is that is that six months from now, you'll find yourself up at three in the morning, tweaking the upteenth version of a theme mod you've been working on, and wondering what became of your pathetic existence as you strive to create the perfect finder window widget.
Sad, but oh so true…

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sage
ShapeShifter will only cause a minor slowdown when launching apps (since that's when it's "telling" the application to look for GUI resources elsewhere), but it's very minor (less than a second), and it doesn't affect performance at all while you're using the application, just launching. I don't know about other Haxies, although I know ClearDock won't such up any power either.

I disagree. Shapeshifter slows the Finder and iChat down on my dual 1.42ghz G4. Perhaps it slows down Cocoa applications? I recently updated to 10.4.2 and was amazed at the speed of the Finder. I then re-themed the GUI with Shapeshifter and things promptly became slower. Window resizing, scrolling, moving...the list goes on.

If you would be willing, I recommend you do an aqua-restore and log out and then back in. Things may be twice as snappy for you.

That said, fixing Apple's mess of a GUI via Shapeshifter is worth the relatively minor speed hit.

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 06:58 PM

ShapeShifter on Tiger does slow down window operations like moving and resizing windows. I think I've got this nailed for 2.1.2, though, and if so, SS will be back to its normal inconspicuous speed hit.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 07:00 PM

I have a question in regards to shapeshifter...if someone downloads it and it messes up the system or whatever...then would your warranty be void? I mean do haxies like this void your warranty like does apple want people to change the themes, if they didn't make os x to be themed in the first place. Sorry if this is a silly question.

I really do like the themes out there, they are awesome but this thing always scared me...because I wasn't sure if a person is allowed to mess with the system with haxies...like if I did it i hope that my computer wouldnt break...ive been told the worse thing that could happen is me having to do a restore!

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 07:31 PM

No, using ShapeShifter does not void your warranty with Apple. I don't think Apple could sell any computers if they considered installing software to void the warranty.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

cryer  (op)
Jul 12, 2005, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sweetymac
I have a question in regards to shapeshifter...if someone downloads it and it messes up the system or whatever...then would your warranty be void? I mean do haxies like this void your warranty like does apple want people to change the themes, if they didn't make os x to be themed in the first place. Sorry if this is a silly question.

I really do like the themes out there, they are awesome but this thing always scared me...because I wasn't sure if a person is allowed to mess with the system with haxies...like if I did it i hope that my computer wouldnt break...ive been told the worse thing that could happen is me having to do a restore!
well, according to some here, they're saying that system files are not touched by shapeshifter and there shouldnt be any problems regarding messing up the system or breaking the computer (am i right...? anyone who absolutely knows for sure?)

also, about slow-down and stuff, im on panther 10.3.9
will i be experiencing this slowdown that some are talking about here? or is it strictly within tiger?

smeger
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 08:00 PM

cryer, I'm the author of ShapeShifter. ShapeShifter does not modify anything in /System. Turn it off, log out, log in, and your're back to your defaults.

ShapeShifter does most of its work when you launch an application. On my test machine, it adds roughly 1/2 second to the time required to launch an application. Once the app has finished launching, the performance hit is negligible.

The issue I referred to earlier regarding window dragging and resizing is a bug, and as I said, I think I've got it nailed for the 2.1.2 release. I think it's a Tiger-only bug, but I'm not sure.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 08:13 PM

smeger this means apple doesnt have a problem if a person uses shapeshifter? b/c i heard somewhere that apple doesnt want you to modify the themees and stuff...coz i really like shapeshifter i think it looks so neat but this has always scared me away that my warranty would be voided im new to m ac so i dont know much

Mike S.
Senior User
Jul 12, 2005, 09:54 PM

Apple has a problem with a lot of things but that's irrelevant.

I don't know of any software that can void a warranty except, maybe, if you're doing some advanced BSD level stuff like trying to manually set CRT refresh rates and somehow get it to fry the CRT. Of course, they'd have to be able to prove that you did this which would be very difficult since you could restore the software and claim that was a troubleshooting measure.

Basically, Apple's warranty covers hardware. What you do with software is your business since software doesn't physically damage computers.

I've been using ShapeShifter since one of the early 1.x series and it's never given me any grief. I'm running it on a very old Mac too, if there's a performance hit I don't notice it so if you're on anything modern I doubt you will either.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 10:02 PM

Thanks Mike

I never knew that about apple's warranty, I appreciate the info. I think I will get shapeshifter because when I had my windows pc I would always theme it constantly and that is one thing I missed when I got mac, and wasn't sure if it was safe.

Thanks again for all the info!

cryer  (op)
Jul 12, 2005, 11:31 PM

hey sweeety, is theming a windows pc safe? i've never done it myself, for fear of risking any sort of system stability.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 12:15 AM

cryer
I used to theme in windows a lot, that is what got me into mac...I seen all these windows people making their desktops look like mac...I never had any experience with mac my entire life so I started getting used to the look and studied a bit more on apples and decided to buy one! And I love it. I never had a problem I used to use stylexp then eventually this uxtheme.dll patch at neowin...because with the patch it didnt slow down my system as much...some people say they have problems and their pcs crash but mine never did i guess it depends. I just love the look of themes!!! I've used theme programs on 3 of my old windows pcs, and nothing wrong ever happened. If you want to know more about windows and theming there is this site aquasoft its pretty good or neowin or wincustomize.

cryer  (op)
Jul 13, 2005, 01:02 AM

cool, thanks for the info!
i've heard of software called "windowblinds," what do you think about that?

one big influence in me getting a mac was the very visually appealing interface, definitely something that makes using macs fun and exciting. im also new to macs, just got my brand new powerbook a few months ago! love it!

esXXI
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 01:03 AM

sweetymac your sig is far too large, it should be 200x50px maximum.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 01:28 AM

oh im so sorry exxi...i will change it thanks for letting me know!!!! is there a rules page?

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 03:10 AM

The rules page is the very first thing on this forum.

If you can do ANYTHING in software that would void the warranty then it is a huge bug in OS X. Heck, if you can even cause a kernel panic outside of a kernel extension, then it's a huge bug in OS X.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 03:32 AM

Thanks Rosyna

I will read the rules...and thanks for the info about the software-warranty issue, take care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules