Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Some dock features I'd like in a future shareware app.

Some dock features I'd like in a future shareware app.
sc_markt
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 05:24 PM

Does anybody think it would be useful if you could double click an open running app icon in the dock and it brought that app to the front AND hid all other apps at the same time (like taskmenubar did)? In fact, there are several other features that taskmenubar had that I also wouldn't mind seeing in the dock.

I also think it would be nice (but not useful) if you had an option to make the dock automatically fit across the entire screen bottom (or sides or top depending on where it is) so that you don't have to see that wasted space at both ends of the dock. I can't stand the way it gets longer or shorter depending on how many apps there are open.

- Mark

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 05:38 PM

You can currently use Option++Click on an icon to hide all but that app.

If the dock went all the way across the bottom, wouldn't that just put the wasted space in between the icons? You can stretch it across the bottom already, but that mean super huge icons (which i'm sure you knew).

I don't know if that answers your questions, but i hope it helps.

sc_markt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by nbn22385
You can currently use Option++Click on an icon to hide all but that app.

If the dock went all the way across the bottom, wouldn't that just put the wasted space in between the icons? You can stretch it across the bottom already, but that mean super huge icons (which i'm sure you knew).

I don't know if that answers your questions, but i hope it helps.
I did not know that clicking the option/apple/click does this. However, this way I have to use both arms. The way I suggested only uses 1 arm which is easier.

Regarding the dock suggestion, the icons don't have to be super huge or spaced far apart if the dock was stretched side to side and not full of icons. I would just rather see that wasted space used by the dock. Plus, I can't stand how the dock re-sizes. I think my way would reduce or almost eliminate the resizing and then you'd have your favorite dock icons always in the same place. At least this way, the trash can would ALWAYS be in the same place. I can't stand how the trash can is never in the same place if you open or delete apps.

Note that I'm not trying to start another dock argument. I'm trying to suggest ideas to make using OS X easier.

Thanks for the reply.

- Mark

bmzollinhofer
Jul 20, 2005, 09:35 PM

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I use TinkerTool to set my dock to the bottom right of my screen, and my trash is always the right most icon. It is always in the same place. Again, I understand what you are saying, but this could solve a tiny problem...
-Brian
Click Away
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

sc_markt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by bmzollinhofer
I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I use TinkerTool to set my dock to the bottom right of my screen, and my trash is always the right most icon. It is always in the same place. Again, I understand what you are saying, but this could solve a tiny problem...
-Brian
I already tried that but then the finder and other icons move up and down.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Mark

Jay Condon
Jul 21, 2005, 07:33 AM

Use Drag Thing Instead of The Dock. You can customize it any which way you want.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 11:35 AM

if you stick *all* the apps you use regularly into the dock, like *all* of them... then unless you minimize a window your dock icons will always stay put.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

bkelly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2005, 01:07 PM

Transparent Dock gives you the option to keep the dock from floating on top of your windows. No more wasted space!

It's available on Version Tracker.

sc_markt  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
if you stick *all* the apps you use regularly into the dock, like *all* of them... then unless you minimize a window your dock icons will always stay put.
Never thought of trying that. Thanks.

I'd still like to be able to double-click on an open app icon in the dock to hide all other apps AND bringing that app to the front at the same time. I know an earlier poster said there is a way to do it but it requires two hands vs 1 hand if you could double-click it.

- Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules