Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Note to Unsanity

Note to Unsanity
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2006, 02:19 AM

Hey boyz and galz!

Take a look at THIS kind of dedication!
http://www.kaleidoscope.net/Version_History.html

Hurry up... The MacTels are getting cold.

R

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 13, 2006, 02:36 AM

Er…wha? You think Kaleidoscope might beat them to the punch and bring out an OS X version before they make Shapeshifter universal?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 13, 2006, 11:59 AM

NO. I was just pointing you that Kaleidoscope was quick to adjust for years and years... Why unsanity is dragging its feet...?

R

smellycat
May 14, 2006, 10:41 PM

last i read it was because his mactel was sitting in russian customs

Syzygy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2006, 04:38 PM

Yeah, I don't think kaleidoscope had things like a completely new processor architecture to update for... or did they?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2006, 04:54 PM

In fairness, Kaleidoscope still hasn't released an OS X version, so Unsanity is a step ahead there.
Chuck
___

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2006, 10:17 AM

Unsanity does seem to be rather slow. Many of their haxies took a while to even be Tiger compatible. The Intel change has been public knowledge for almst a year now, devlopment systems available since June of last year. Even with customs issues they would have had quite a while to work on things.
I certainly am second guessing using their products after this long of a wait. I found the great UNO unified theme that has it's own installer, it's good enough for a theme at this point. Now if I could find an alternative to windowshade I'd be set.

Jay Condon
May 17, 2006, 01:12 PM

I can't begin to count the number of great shareware apps for Macs that have been abandoned by developers over the years.

I'm guessing it's for two major reasons: 1) There really isn't a lot of money in it, and 2) No matter how great a product is or frequent the update schedule, theres always a handful of people complaining "If only the app could do this or that I would buy it" or "the developer isn't responsive enough".

If I were a member of unsanity's team and had been reading these boards lately (as I'm sure they do), I'd pretty much be at the end of my rope and about to say $%&^ it, it's just not worth it anymore.

The facts are the Mac theming community isn't what it used to be (most of the leading artists from just a year or two back have gone), and Unsanity isn't making much money selling Shapeshifter to the less than 5% of Mac users who give a crap about theming on a platform with 2% marketshare.

I'm surprised (and relieved) that they are updating SS for ICBM's at all, and for that I am grateful. If you want to piss and moan at a developer call Adobe.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 01:48 PM

wtf? Nobody's even mentioned the obvious reason yet?

It's hard

APE isn't exactly a normal app, and it's definitely nowhere *close* to being a "check the checkbox, done" universal transition for them. Sure Uno was updated faster, but it's really a much much simpler thing (just replaces system files with modified ones).

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 02:03 PM

Very good points sir. Thank you.

No pissing or moaning here. Just wanted to put a little fire under some feet.

Relieved for the updates too. Heck I would pay to upgrade to the Intel versions if I had to. Like $10? Dunno, any incentive to finish is good.

Yeah. Hoping Adobe gets on the ball. They really really have no excuse. Sheesh. Oh, that's right... It's hard

- R

Originally Posted by Jay Condon
I can't begin to count the number of great shareware apps for Macs that have been abandoned by developers over the years.

I'm guessing it's for two major reasons: 1) There really isn't a lot of money in it, and 2) No matter how great a product is or frequent the update schedule, theres always a handful of people complaining "If only the app could do this or that I would buy it" or "the developer isn't responsive enough".

If I were a member of unsanity's team and had been reading these boards lately (as I'm sure they do), I'd pretty much be at the end of my rope and about to say $%&^ it, it's just not worth it anymore.

The facts are the Mac theming community isn't what it used to be (most of the leading artists from just a year or two back have gone), and Unsanity isn't making much money selling Shapeshifter to the less than 5% of Mac users who give a crap about theming on a platform with 2% marketshare.

I'm surprised (and relieved) that they are updating SS for ICBM's at all, and for that I am grateful. If you want to piss and moan at a developer call Adobe.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 02:14 PM

Adobe's situation is really nasty actually. They've got tons and tons of infrastructure built up around CodeWarrior.

Anyway, about unsanity: http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000457.php

With any luck that means a universal shapeshifter is sometime fairly soon

siMac
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 04:56 AM

I can't begin to count the number of great themes for Macs that have been abandoned by themers over the years.

I'm guessing it's for two major reasons: 1) There really isn't a lot of money in it, and 2) No matter how great a product is or frequent the update schedule, theres always a handful of people complaining "If only the theme could do this or that" or "the developer isn't responsive enough".

If I were a themer and had been reading these boards lately (as I'm sure they do), I'd pretty much be at the end of my rope and about to say $%&^ it, it's just not worth it anymore.

The facts are the Mac theming community isn't what it used to be (most of the leading artists from just a year or two back have gone), and themers aren't making any money giving themes to the less than 5% of Mac users who give a crap about theming on a platform with 2% marketshare.

I'm surprised (and relieved) that they are updating themes at all, and for that I am grateful. If you want to piss and moan at a developer call Unsanity.
Fixed™ for perspective. Unsanity charge for their product. That should be enough motivation to get updates out the door. I appreciate the fact that SS updates have been free so far, but if charging for the updates is what it takes to get the app up to date then that's the way it is.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

siMac
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Adobe's situation is really nasty actually. They've got tons and tons of infrastructure built up around CodeWarrior.
That's their own stupid fault. Apple have been telling developers for years to move to XCode. I appreciate that that may represent a lot of work, but it's not like there aren't advantages/incentives.

Jay Condon
May 18, 2006, 08:29 AM

Fixed™ for perspective.
Funny, I didn't think it was broken. If you'd like to discuss the generosity of themers, perhaps another thread would be appropriate. it's an entirely different subject.

siMac
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 09:01 AM

it's an entirely different subject.
Exactly, hence 'perspective'. I'm not disagreeing with you, I was just trying to make a point about motivation.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by siMac
That's their own stupid fault. Apple have been telling developers for years to move to XCode. I appreciate that that may represent a lot of work, but it's not like there aren't advantages/incentives.

If someone told you for years to move to something without giving you any kind of reason for it, and you've already spent a ton on your current infrastructure, and it works, would you move? I sure wouldn't.

This is why some companies put out their business plans years in advance for major changes, so that vendors aren't stuck like this.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 08:31 PM

Besides that, requiring companies to use one environment seems a little stupid to me. I guess it's CodeWarrior's fault for not being on the UB ball.
Chuck
___

Kevin
Baninated
May 23, 2006, 07:18 AM

It used to be more close. It used to be more about sharing and respect.

Now it's about ripping other people's ideas off, charging people, and bitching.

No wonder the few of us that helped in the beginning quit.

When the reason one does something in no longer there, it tends not be fun anymore.

I wont go into the rip-off artists that disrespect theme authors.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 24, 2006, 02:50 AM

A-Freekin'-Men!
Man... People really have lost the spirit of "community" here... Oh well. Lets hope that Unsanity or whoever makes it a bit easier to make themes... I'm sure we would get a flood of all qualities from many more interested parties.

Thanks for the precision.

R

Originally Posted by Kevin
It used to be more close. It used to be more about sharing and respect.

Now it's about ripping other people's ideas off, charging people, and bitching.

No wonder the few of us that helped in the beginning quit.

When the reason one does something in no longer there, it tends not be fun anymore.

I wont go into the rip-off artists that disrespect theme authors.

Forum Links
Forum Rules