Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9.1 issues

9.1 issues
Tristrami
Senior User
Jul 16, 2001, 09:45 AM

Just upgraded to 9.1 and now I can't see CDs or ZIP disks on my desktop? Is this a known bug, or just my G3 having problems?

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2001, 11:43 AM

try rebuilding your desktop, it sometimes gets corrupted when you upgrade the os

[ 07-16-2001: Message edited by: Jsnuff1 ]

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2001, 07:21 PM

a few things you might want to check...
1. Apple System Profiler under Apple Menu, go to the hardware tab, and see if the IDE bus still recognizes the zip and CD-ROM drive.
2. If not recognized...open up the box, check the connections, and reset the CUDA (a little black button next to the internal battery.
If still not recognized, call Apple Care
3. If recognized, see if it is recognized by softwares such as Norton Utilities, and see if such software allow you to mount it.
4. If not, TechToolPro3 is the only thing I can think of that performs any kind of checking...other than a potential problem with some type of bad driver installation...If it does mount, try resetting the PRAM (cmd+opt+p+r on reboot, wait for 2 more reboot sounds, release), delete the System preference (inside the Preference folder inside System files), and rebuild the desktop (either through Norton, or cmd+opt after control panels and before Finder loads during reboot, in other words, the second or two frame when your desktop is being deplayed but not the desktop file/folders yet).
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 06:58 AM

Was the updater the CD or download?

If its the download... theres your prob, possibly. It was a pathetic update.

Check your extensions folder for the "Apple CD/DVD Driver", "Audio CD Access", and the mass storage extension (not sure of its name)...

I think your extensions have been... *ahem*, "misplaced".

And if you don't burn with DiscBurner or iTunes, remove the Authoring Support garbage.

CountBezukhov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2001, 08:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cipher13:
[QB]Was the updater the CD or download?

> If its the download... theres your prob, possibly. It was a pathetic
> update.

I also can't see CD's, nor boot off one (I have no Zip, still think SyQuest was a far better product up until near the end when they started having to cut corners; anybody want to buy 200 shares? They're still worth almost a penny each). However, I can SOMETIMES see the CD on the internal player when I boot off an external scsi hd running 9. I also can always mount the CD on my scsi burner with Toast with 9.1. Sometimes can mount the internal CD with the Toast copy feature in 9.1, but not reliably.

I haven't figured it out yet, but note additional hints in the thread "G3 Rejects even the OS 9 CD." Mine was, btw, the downloaded version, though Apple CD/DVD and Audio CD Access are where they belong; couldn't find the mass storage extension mentioned, but don't really know what I'm looking for. Rebuilding desktop didn't help; don't recall if I zapped or not.
Never anthropomorphize computers; they hate that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules