Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Installing new OS??

Installing new OS??
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 01:21 PM

Hi

I just got home my very first powerbook. Since i live in Norway all the documentation is written in norwegian ( of course ) and the OS is of course also in norwegian. I would like to replace this OS with the US english version. Now i do have a OS8.6/9.0/9.0.4 webupdate/ and finally 9.1 in US english versions from my G4 tower. Can i use these discs to reinstall my OS to US english? And if so, what is the correct procedure to do it?

Thanks.
Tom

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 03:57 PM

Hi

Oops, i really feel like a newbie now. Truth is, i am when it comes to these topics . After some reading/thinking/searching i guess i just have to go and buy another OS package anyway. Licensing etc.

Just need to ask another newbie qustion, powerbooks and desktops do use the same version of OS, right? Or are there specific versions for powerbooks/ibooks due to battery issues and such?

Thanks.
Tom

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2001, 06:20 AM

The "local" apple service center fixed it.
Case closed

Tom

Cipher13
Jul 20, 2001, 09:08 PM

For future reference, you can update any language OS with any updater with a little messing around... I did that after downloading the 9.1 US updater and realising I had intl English

I assume its the same with others but it could be very very different...

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2001, 04:12 AM

Hi

Thanks for replying C.
When you say "messing around", is it a complex procedure?
I`ve just realized that i don`t know half as much about installing/modification of the OS as i thought i did

Tom

Cipher13
Jul 22, 2001, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by tomra:
<STRONG>Hi

Thanks for replying C.
When you say "messing around", is it a complex procedure?
I`ve just realized that i don`t know half as much about installing/modification of the OS as i thought i did

Tom</STRONG>
I can't remember the exact procedure. Its pretty simple.

I could do it again if you wanted to know how.

I just remember getting the wrong updater, and the intl eng one wasn't available, so I found a way around the prob.

It involves lots of file moving.

Launch the updater. Move all the System files outta the System Folder (the Enabler, ROM, etc), proceed along the updater, move this file back, proceed further, move that one back, etc.

The method basically makes the updater think you have the right system by getting rid of the components, then it makes the updater update the intl eng to US by updating the wrong components.

Hehe, it was sorta a hit and miss affair, but hey, it worked.

I dunno if it would work on a system so different though - one language to another and all...

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2001, 07:30 AM

Hi

Sounds like a thing i`m not ready to attempt to do
Thanks again for replying, i`ll get back to you if i find myself in a situation where i`ll "need" to do it.

Thanks.
Tom

Cipher13
Jul 22, 2001, 07:49 AM

No problemo, feel free to contact me via any of the methods listed in my sig.

Forum Links
Forum Rules