Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 2 problems

2 problems
Trash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2001, 01:17 AM

Ok, I'm having two issues with Mac OS that I can't quite fix. Keep in mind I'm running a middle-end iBook2 with OS 9.1 (mainly) and 10.0, 128 ram and 10gbhd.

1) OS 9 sometimes takes a looong time to load. Loading time with the startup screen is normal, but then the desktop appears and everything is unclicable for an obsene amount of time (usually around 7 minutes)--during this time, the control strip doens't appear, and you can only start working when the control strip appears. How do I fix this?

2) I changed the startup disk to OS X today, and when I was going to switch it back, the System Preferences panel somehow found OS 8 in my system. It listed 9, X, and 8. I've never installed 8 here--how did that happen?

Thank you for your time.

lucylawless
Mac Elite
Location: adrift in a sea of decadent luxury and meaningless sex
Jul 27, 2001, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Trash:
<STRONG>
1) OS 9 sometimes takes a looong time to load. Loading time with the startup screen is normal, but then the desktop appears and everything is unclicable for an obsene amount of time (usually around 7 minutes)--during this time, the control strip doens't appear, and you can only start working when the control strip appears. How do I fix this?
</STRONG>
I saw a problem like this once on a Ti, and the cause was that it was looking for several servers that were on the network at work. Look in "/System Folder/Servers/" and if there are any in there (alias's probably), they will cause a huge delay after the finder loads. FYI, force quitting the finder during the freeze was a decent work-around
blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. the X makes it sound cool

Cipher13
Jul 27, 2001, 08:08 AM

Delete the contents of the Servers folder within the System Folder.

I've got a script that empties it at shutdown if you like... comes in handy.

<anonymous>
Jul 27, 2001, 11:50 AM

Toss your Control Strip prefs. If that doesn't help, then do the standard extension conlict trouble shooting, but this time with the Control Strip (CS) Modules in the CS folder (remove them all and then add back 1 at a time between reboots).

Chuck_star
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2001, 02:23 AM

2) I changed the startup disk to OS X today, and when I was going to switch it back, the System Preferences panel somehow found OS 8 in my system. It listed 9, X, and 8. I've never installed 8 here--how did that happen?

You may have copied a file from an older computer that had an OS 8 system folder copied into it. Have your finder search for "system folder ". I'd imagine it would have to be on a media drive. Or get rid of it because you shouldn't have more than one system folder on your startup drive.
Later
Chuck

Forum Links
Forum Rules