Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quadra 800 internal hd woes

Quadra 800 internal hd woes
mqymouse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2001, 09:22 AM

Hi,

I have a Quadra 800 whose internal hard drive simply refuses to be recognized. I know it's there, I've touched it. It's a factory issue 530 MB internal drive. It's connected to the SCSI ribbon cable and the power supply. Apple HD SC Setup recognizes it, but when I initialize the hard disk, it just kinda freezes while updating the driver. I started the initialization process at around 10:30 pm last night and went to bed. When I woke up just a half an hour ago (roughly 6 am PDT), it was still trying to update the driver. I kinda don't think that's what Apple had in mind.

I have an external SCSI drive with OS 7.6.1 installed and running the thing now. Is there anything I can do to save this hard drive? When I acquired the machine, it gave me the flashing-question-mark-diskette, which prompted me to connect this SCSI drive to help it out.

I appreciate any help at all. Thanks,

Michael
Le ver vert va vers le verre vert.

maclove
Jun 30, 2001, 10:55 AM

Sorry can't help you but do you know were I can get a copy of OS 7.6.1 Thanks

WillyB
Jul 1, 2001, 04:24 PM

When you are booted from the other drive, when you open the Startup Disk Control Panel , does the original drive show up there? If so, try selecting that drive as your startup drive, and re-boot... <---(after installing a version of Mac OS on it of course!)

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: WillyB ]
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2001, 10:26 AM

Try using Disk Warrior. Drive Setup 2.03 works for 68040s but I don't know if it can be run on 68k or is ppc only. Take a new drive and use quality 68-50 pin adapter and you can have a nice 9GB drive for under $200 from www.macgurus.com and www.hypemicro.com

New drives tend to be quieter and cooler (relatively) - I rarely find that the "deals" on places like OWC for narrow drives are real deals at all and best avoided, better luck on ebay if you don't want to spend much.

Disk Warrior? Indespensible!

Thunderbird
Senior User
Jul 27, 2001, 03:48 PM

Do you possibly have a SCSI ID conflict? When you see the drive in Drive Setup, does it have a unique ID vs. your external drive and any other SCSI devices on the chain?

If not, it sounds like a bad drive. You could try doing a low-level format on the drive. It will take a while, but will map out all of the bad sectors on the drive and possibly make it usable again.

Apple still provides free tech support for this machine (if you are the original owner.) You could always try calling them (1-800-SOS-APPL).

Forum Links
Forum Rules