Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > LC PDS

LC PDS
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2001, 12:13 AM

Is there such a thing as a FAST LC PDS ethernet Card? (10/100) it occured to me that, instead of building a Drive tower and attatching it to a computer, You could put an LCII motherboard in the drive tower case with its powersupply and a fast ethernet card and essentially make your tower a Network Drive. Cool eh?

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 12:48 AM

I've only seen 10Mbps cards. I have one, and it was quite a waste for me. I bought it almost 2 years ago thinking that I could put my LC II on my home network and actually use the machine (I already had an AppleTalk bridge but that wasn't good enough for me). I haven't used the LC II in 18 months. After years of trying to find a use for it I have concluded that it is completely useless. It was outdated technology even when it was introduced. I really don't think any of those machines would be useful with a 100Mbps card.

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2001, 12:51 AM

it would be used for the SOLE purpose of sharing its hard drive(s). This isn't for me, this is for a friend, i'm just 'thinking' for him. I guess I'll just pick a nubus mac with a physically small motherboard and powersupply.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2001, 03:47 AM

The idea of using an LCII as a network appliance is unique, but is suffers from too many internal bus speed problems to actually be useful.

The SCSI subsystem is way too slow to handel the data load that you could get with it as network drive. The SCSI system is slow enough that a 10BaseT connection could concievably tax the drive and data subsystem enough that it would perform way below your standards.

If you want dedicated network drives, I would suggest a Snap Applicance.

Forum Links
Forum Rules