Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > ATA-SCSI converter thingy?

ATA-SCSI converter thingy?
Yuri1419
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2001, 09:29 AM

Not the ATA PCI card that acard OEM's for everyone, I already have that in my 7500. Great product, but I'm plagued with the stuttering audio issues, which I need to fix since I'd like to use my 7500 as an MP3 player and place it in my stereo rack once the new G4 arrives.

I'm pretty sure I once saw a very small converter that would plug into the back of the ATA drive and convert it to the internal SCSI. Slower, but wasn't plagued with the skipping problems.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about, and where to find it?

Thanks!

<Mad_Hatter>
Jul 21, 2001, 06:00 PM

I don't think that is possible. FireWire to SCSI. IDE to FireWire. Check out the Sonnet ATA/100 due in a month or two. Otherwise, how about a U2 Inito SCSI card and some external lvd drives? That'll work like a champ.

Yuri1419  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2001, 11:11 AM

Yes it is possible- I found the adapter:
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/IDE/IDE_t...i_adapter.html

It's more of a sled + adapter than just a little adapter, but this was the thing I was trying to recall.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2001, 05:40 AM

I was at first quite skeptical about such a conversion. I know that the main difference between, say, a 40g IDE drive and a 40g SCSI drive was the logic board that is on the bottom of every disk drive, and that in the actual manufacturing of the drive the physical parts are all the same.

This is really a revelation. I'm glad to know about this and might just use this some time in the future to augment some of my older hardware that act in an AppleShare capacity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules