Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iDisk Access

iDisk Access
krove
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2001, 07:31 PM

I haven't accesses my iDisk in a while, and when I went to open it (through the browser), I could not. IE just sat there, and finally it let me do other stuff, but the disk wasn't on the desktop. So I tried to access it through the chooser (idisk.mac.com), and the "server could not be reached."

I'd really like to see some of the new stuff for OS X that Apple's put in! BTW, I'm running OS 9 now (not classic), with OS X installed (could affect something, but what, I do not know).

Thanks for any help,
krove

*The next sentece is true...
*The previous sentence is false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2001, 12:54 AM

Why not download a newer version of the iTools plug in and reestablish your account?
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

krove  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2001, 05:59 AM

Tried that already...

Why would I have to re-establish my account anyway? I use my mac.com email address, just not the iDisk (very often)...

Any help?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

bleen
Senior User
Jan 8, 2001, 01:38 PM

I tried connecting to my iDisk a few days ago. The last time I did was back during the summer of 2000. (right after Jobs' MWNY keynote talking about iDisk expansion at a charge) When I tried a few days ago it took forever to load. I waiting about 3 minutes for the iDisk to mount, I knew it doing something becasue my system was at a hault for those 3 minutes.

Hopefully tomorrow will being information on what's going on with iDisk/iTools.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2001, 06:32 PM

I logged into my iTools account, then iDisk. That is the lamest excuse for a feature. Locks up system, and tried to download some of the new utilities posted, it used half or less available bandwidth (dual 56k). Sorry piece of technology for real use.

And why does it prevent other activity... does it need the cpu just to open? I normally dowload at 8k/sec but not from iDisk. Reminds me more of 2400 baud modem... so I HOPE Apple doesn't plan on making use of it unless they fix it. So far, they don't seem to see it as broken though.

Gregory

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2001, 07:47 PM

I think the servers were really slow. I noticed a similar slowdown in speed when accessing homepages.mac.com if my iDisk was equally painful to use.
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules