Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Virtual Memory problems...

Virtual Memory problems...
tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2001, 02:24 PM

I've got a few serious bugs with OS 9.1.

I have 640 MB of RAM on my TiBook, so I don't want to use virtual memory. Unfortunately, turning off VM causes SERIOUS stability problems.

First, if I have any desktop picture, changing the display to 256 colors will freeze the machine 9 out of 10 times. I've tried allocating more memory to the appearance control panel, but this does not fix the problem.

Second, if I have Multiple Users acivated, I constantly get a message on startup "Multiple Users is running low on Memory..." but clicking OK works every time.

I have also had to disable the Location Manager, because of memory-related problems.

By the way, these things all happened even before I installed my expansion RAM, so this is not the problem.

Turning on VM solves all of this, but of course, it takes a big chunk out of my tiny 10GB drive.

Any ideas? Will 9.2 solve this? From what I hear, if you have a gig of RAM, the OS won't even let you turn on VM. Does Apple really test the software?
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Cipher13
Jul 22, 2001, 07:47 PM

Yeah, VM always was good at solving general stability/speed issues

I suggest you downgrade to OS 9.04. That will fix your probs, I'd say.

Or... did 9.1 come with it?

Is it the 9.1 updater, or a real full 9.1?

Perhaps you need to zap your PRAM and reinstall the system...

Forum Links
Forum Rules