Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Leopard Screen Sharing remote control of a Mac outside of my LAN?

Leopard Screen Sharing remote control of a Mac outside of my LAN?
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2008, 06:48 PM

I would like to use Leopard's ScreenSharing.app to remotely control my Dad's Mac Desktop, but I am not sure how to go about doing this, seeing as how:

--He lives in a different state, so he's obviously not on my Local Network...

--Situations have come up in the past where I've needed to control his computer when he is not present at the remote workstation (i.e. not available to accept an iChat screen sharing invitation)...

I'd previously used LogMeIn Free when I was running Tiger 10.4.x, but I know that with leopard, there must be some way to accomplish this 'in-house' using the ScreenSharing.app

I do have his Mac's Admin password, as well as all of his router/firewall/LAN details, and if need be, I could set him up with a dyndns dynamic domain name, or something of the likes...

Anyone have an ideas as to what I would have to do to accomplish this task?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ibook_steve
Jul 30, 2008, 07:57 PM

If you're both using Leopard, just use the screen sharing in iChat. That's the easiest way to go. Search http://www.macfixit.com. They did an article a few months ago about the different ways of screen sharing.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

m021478  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 30, 2008, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, I guess...

but if you'd read my initial post closer you would have read that using iChat is not a viable option for me because many times I need to connect to and control his computer, he is not currently available to accept my iChat Screen Sharing Invitation...

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Brass
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 11:39 PM

Just do a Go -> Connect to Server (in the Finder) or Command-K, then enter:

vnc://host.domain.com/

Works for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules