Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > WoW and G5...Final say

WoW and G5...Final say
Dwillis03
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2005, 10:23 PM

Hello everybody,

I know for a fact there is a copy of WoW sitting for me under the christmas tree and had a few questions...

My specs are as follows:

Second gen iMac G5

20" 1680x1050 screen
1.5 gigs of DDR ram
Single 2ghz CPU
128mb Radeon 9600

Maine Question: Will I be able to run this game on medium with AVERAGE performance when huting and DECENT performance (not skipping around like mad, but still a little laggy) in cities such as Ironforge?

If you have played it please make sure that you have the 9600 NOT the x600 as this is the one main things I am concerned about.

Also if I were to sell my mac (3 months old) how much do you think I would get for it? (not as important as first question).

Thanks much
( Last edited by Dwillis03; Dec 20, 2005 at 10:31 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2005, 11:42 PM

At your screen's native resolution? Slideshow with high quality settings.
In a smaller window? Playable.

I'd say $1400-1500 for your iMac based on the current iMacs and recently completed eBay sales.

Duracell
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2005, 06:34 AM

Runs fine on high settings (View distance set to low) at 1024x1280 (widescreen I think). Although, I say that but most people think that if it's below 40000000000000000 FPS IT IS UNPLAYABLE OH GOD OH GOD UNPLAYABLE.

Ironforge is a bit laggy for me when it's full (I play on a populated server), some big raid groups pull me down a bit too, the rest of the time I get a decept avarage FPS and is highly playable for me.

But, ss long as you're having fun, who cares.

(I can't complain though, I went form a 1.2ghz Windows PC with 256 RAM and an awful graphics card so it was a huge upgrade for me, kind of depressing too considering even my iBook wipes the floor with my (now thrown out) old PC)

Edit - More RAM than my set up and that makes all the difference in WoW.
Macbook Pro 15" Rev: Feb08
iPhone & iPod Touch

20" iMac G5, Mac Mini G4 and an iBook G4, all retired.

esXXI
Senior User
Dec 21, 2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
At your screen's native resolution? Slideshow with high quality settings.
In a smaller window? Playable.

I'd say $1400-1500 for your iMac based on the current iMacs and recently completed eBay sales.
It should play fine on medium textures and detail with shaders off at 1680x1050. I can play with nearly everything maxed on native resolution on the newer 20" (1.5GB RAM) and get 20-25FPS constant. If I'm going to be playing in a very busy instance I simply turn shaders off and enjoy the extra 10FPS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules