Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Funny or obnoxious Halo 3 "review"?

Funny or obnoxious Halo 3 "review"?
starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 12:13 AM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...tuation-Halo-3

It's OK to laugh at something, it's not OK to take the .01% of the flaws of the game, focus on them, and write up an entire flash animation to show the work just how pompus you are, and how much you think that these pittly tidbits are enough to blow a hole in Master Chief's armor.

Sorry, I think the guy's just sour grapes.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 03:47 AM

I really enjoyed the video. How's it sour grapes if he just plain didn't enjoy what I hear is a far-too-short and over-rated single player campaign?

Why's it whenever someone says "I don't want to play against 13 year olds online" people automatically dismiss their review?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 4, 2007, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
The Escapist : Zero Punctuation: Halo 3

It's OK to laugh at something, it's not OK to take the .01% of the flaws of the game, focus on them, and write up an entire flash animation to show the work just how pompus you are, and how much you think that these pittly tidbits are enough to blow a hole in Master Chief's armor.

I want to make this clear to you: you don't need to like or pretend to like a game because the whole world likes or pretends to like a game. I know it's hard when you're surrounded by friends that sleep with Master Chief dolls at night but just because the masses loves something it doesn't necessarily mean it's excellent or even good. Take Windows for example.

Halo is like a half-assed Marathon but with 2005 graphics. The graphics and sounds is everything you would expect from an evolution between Marathon and Halo. The multiplayer hasn't evolved since I found Halo multiplayer to be about the same as Marathon's (ie excellent). But it's evident that the storyline was rushed. I haven't played Halo 3 but Halo 1 and Halo 2 had a lackluster story: a 10 year old with half an imagination could have written it.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I haven't played Halo 3
I want to make this clear to you: if you haven't actually played the game, then STFU.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Oct 4, 2007, 09:38 AM

It was funny, good review style, no idea on the accuracy of the content though!

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 10:07 AM

The problem with its "accuracy" is that he basically took the .0001% of the game and focused on it. $10 bucks says people think he's smart because he does these unique reviews with a British accent so it sounds regal . The fact is, he hasn't played Halo 1 and 2 so right off the bat anything he has to say about the story is bollucks. He didn't mention anything good about the game, didn't mention Forge or Theater (when was the last time you could record your entire campaign in a console or PC game?).

So like I said: sour grapes.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 12:17 PM

Theater alone makes the game worth it, christ, I spend more time looking at my previous Matchmaking game then I did playing it.

The haters will always hate. I dunno why everyone is so hung-up on the goddamn single player campaign. Halo 3's is much longer than 2, and has more variety than 1. Not to mention the game is not supposed to be judged on single-player alone. Bioshock would rule all if that were the case... but it isn't. I played through Bioshock 3 times and I already have logged more hours in Halo 3. I've got Campaign beaten, 100+ Matchmaking games, 7 screenshots, 20 movie clips, and a few levels done in forge.

What other game offers these characteristics?

Edit: I think the people who say the Halo series sucks are just not into the kind of gameplay that halo offers. In which case, why must they talk about something they never liked in the first place as if the game makers owe them a 'better' game? Halo 3 is the pinnacle of the pure FPS genre, if you don't like it then I guess Wii games might be more your speed. Not that I'm dissing on the Wii, I'd own on if it were financially feasible, but you have to agree the 360 aims its' games at an entirely different group of people.
( Last edited by sek929; Oct 4, 2007 at 12:24 PM. )

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 12:48 PM

sek, that always happens. There are people that push against the masses because for some reason they don't want to be lemmings. There was a forum post I read somewhere where the person said they were against watching Galactica for the longest time because everyone was doing it, and when they finally sat down to watch it they were blown away.

I'm not sure what to make of this Yahtzee guy. Are his videos supposed to be actual reviews, or is this some kind of shtick where he intentionally pulls out the bad parts of a game and does reviews solely on that (with accent!)?

What's funny are the comments. People praising this guy for "telling it like it is". Like WHAT is? That it made $170 million on DAY ONE? Even Mario couldn't pull that in. That's why I think the guy's sour grapes. There are so many positive and amazing things about Halo 3 that this guy doesn't care to look at them and offer a non-biased review. Instead, we get some lackey who admitted to never playing either prequel and doesn't care about multiplayer. And yet, he "tells it like it is".

Uh huh.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 02:34 PM

No game is perfect, and Halo 3 is no exception.

But to call the entire game out on the campaign just shows how little someone actually knows about Halo.

I DESPISE people who won't try something just because it's popular. I consider that mentality worse than those who try something specifically because it's popular.

Maybe, just maybe, some are so anti-M$ that they must be bitter that Halo 1 launched the XBox platform, Halo 2 launched XBox Live, and Halo 3 made (as you said) 170 mil on the first fu**in' day!!.

Mac fans, I know you're pissed M$ bought Bungie when we were supposed to get Halo first, but it's time to get over it. I doubt Halo 3 would have had the budget (or existence) it does now without M$.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 02:46 PM

Hey, I miss Bungie as a Mac game company, and I do think the Xbox 360 has an annoying interface (which may or may not be influenced by my feelings for Microsoft), but I still loves me some Halo.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 04:14 PM

Hahahahahahaha. I thought the video was hilarious. But his points are valid and simple enough. The video was worth it. Hahaha.

He didn't like it as much as everyone else with raging hard-ons for the game. I get it. What's the big deal?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad View Post
Hahahahahahaha. I thought the video was hilarious. But his points are valid and simple enough. The video was worth it. Hahaha.

He didn't like it as much as everyone else with raging hard-ons for the game. I get it. What's the big deal?
I thought it was funny as well. I don't care for Halo, either. I don't get the hype on it, but that's my opinion. Since I'm the one that has to spend the money, my opinion for me is final.

He doesn't like it as well. I don't see a problem, here. Not everyone has to like the same things. That's why we have fifty thousand FPSs out there. I'm sure there is something for everyone in the genre.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2007, 06:08 PM

I thought it was hilarious.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 07:12 PM

For the record, I loved Halo one. (More, of course, for its online gameplay, not the meager and repetitive singe player, though it wasn't horrible like most claim—but, admittedly, it was no Metroid Prime campaign in my opinion.) I've only played bits and pieces of part two's campaign and a little of the online, also quite fun. Halo 3 looks like more of the same fun.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2007, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I thought it was funny as well. I don't care for Halo, either. I don't get the hype on it, but that's my opinion. Since I'm the one that has to spend the money, my opinion for me is final.

He doesn't like it as well. I don't see a problem, here. Not everyone has to like the same things. That's why we have fifty thousand FPSs out there. I'm sure there is something for everyone in the genre.
Excalibur, watch the video where he rags on Heavenly Sword and then tell me it's funny.

He does make points, but the problem is that the points themselves are a insignificant problem with the game.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2007, 08:06 PM

That's his opinion on Heavenly Sword. I don't care what other people think about a game. I don't buy things based on what other people think, I could care less. The benefit of being an adult is I get to choose what I like and buy, and I get the final call. Everyone has their opinion, and I can respect it... I just don't have to agree with it. This is no different that hearing people cry and rag on the PlayStation 3 all the time. I'm having fun with it so why should I care what someone else has to say? Why should I take it personal?

I like Heavenly Sword, more so than the reviews. Since I am the one buying it, I'm the one it has to impress over anyone.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2007, 08:58 PM

This guy's a known cynic, and he's funny as hell. The only game i've ever heard him not slam is Psychonauts, purely based on its uniqueness. Don't take him seriously, just enjoy his bastardly rants for what they are...

Halo 3 is my favourite game at the moment, I loved every minute of the campaign, but I still laughed my ass of at this video. Don't take it personally, he ALWAYS rags on games and always focusses on the negative.. and just coz he's focussing on a tiny part of the game doesn't mean he's not right about that part - that's what makes it so funny. Picking things apart and being unfairly brutal to them - isn't that what all great comedians do??
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
,,,But it's evident that the storyline was rushed.
Bull. shite. Your username precedes you!

Bungie's primary focus and drive in the Halo and Marathon universe has always been story. The fact that you don't follow or understand the story means you either:

1: Didn't follow it carefully enough - Bungie are actually deceptively subtle with their storytelling, there are many hidden moments in Halo/Halo2/Halo3 cutscenes and you have to watch them multiple times to fully understand. They don't expect people to sit through 20 minute cutscenes, they'd rather give you often-mysterious snapshots and let you research it for yourself if you're interested.

or..
2: You've never looked beyond what you see in the game. There's an enormous amount of story content available online and in the Halo novels. Even just reading though a plot summary taken directly from the games, without the gameplay in between allowing you to forget the details, you'll find an engaging, mysterious and well structured story that actually does make sense, despite what some say
( Last edited by pyrite; Oct 4, 2007 at 09:55 PM. )

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 4, 2007, 09:16 PM

^^ qualifying the above, I understand that Halo 2 has been slammed for its story development and cliffhanger ending.. Bungie have expressed their disappointment with the ending, but the the story up until that cliffhanger was exactly as intended, and makes perfect sense when you put it together with Halo 3.
Halo 2 was originally supposed to 'finish the fight', but they simply didn't have enough time to cram that much more story into it by release date.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Hey, I miss Bungie as a Mac game company, and I do think the Xbox 360 has an annoying interface (which may or may not be influenced by my feelings for Microsoft), but I still loves me some Halo.
I miss the friends menu in Halo 2. It was quick and easy to use, unlike the sluggish 360 interface. (especially when in the middle of a game)

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2007, 09:03 AM

well, i can't read it becausa the wii opera browser can't do flash 8.

but he's probably right. BUT, for the real ending, u have to beat the game on legendary. no biggie, it only takes 5 hours...compared to 12 on H2...or 20-40 on H1. the campaigns were lame on H2 and 3, yes. yes, they were, especially if you read the novels.

but the games are still too much fun. i probably played 5-6000 games on live the 1st year of H2 until modders got ridiculous and i deleted my account.

the only other games that give me such fond memories as the halo series are WCII, Starcraft, galaga, goldeneye, metroid prime, many zeldas, and mario cart.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 01:51 AM

I've been playing H3 for a few days and I have to say it's pretty much what I expected: a lot of hype. It's a fun game, don't get me wrong, and it looks great but compared to Bioshock, a game that may go down as my alltime favourite fps, the storyline and rigid pacing really is lacking.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2007, 10:51 AM

so good.
we don't have time to stop for gas

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2007, 11:28 PM

Thumbs up to that reviewer.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2007, 05:55 AM

The guy is a genius - check out his other videos too, so so funny
we don't have time to stop for gas

richwig83
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2007, 06:30 AM

That's hilarious, all reviews should be like that!!!! The head crabs in half-life were genius.....
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2007, 05:37 PM

The reviewer was spot-on about H3, the game wasn't bad but I was seriously disappointed.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 12:43 AM

I want to make this clear to you: if you haven't actually played the game, then STFU.
Sniff, sniff...I think I smell a fanboy.

Did you notice the theme of the site where the review is posted? He trashes everything, no? Relax. Go play your Halo.

Rowen
Oct 31, 2007, 12:48 AM

I personally will join the resistance against the Microsoft Overlords and Mining Colonies.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 12:49 AM

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...tuation-Halo-3

OMG...THANK YOU!

I laughed so hard I wept. That was the funniest god damned thing I've seen in ages. Thank you, thank you, little fanboy for objecting to this game for without you acting like (what did this reviewer call it?) a "****" I would never have seen this hilarious review.

That is exactly what I think of Halo. There is absolutely nothing remarkable about it. It is an average FPS. I see nothing to differentiate it from, say, Unreal Tournament.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2007, 02:01 AM

Haha. That was hilarious!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2007, 07:27 AM

Its an entertaining review with good points. While he does nit pick, he also has a lot of good points. Watch his Bio Shock review. Its good. Games have different meanings for different people, to each their own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules