Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Avatar

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2009, 03:24 PM

Sounds like an excited golfer.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Yes, much bellow par
Well to tell you the truth even with the bad script it is more exciting then the MacNN forums.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Well to tell you the truth even with the bad script it is more exciting then the MacNN forums.
That hurts.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

downinflames68
Baninated
Dec 30, 2009, 06:34 PM

Yeah these things are dragging.

Sealobo
Dec 30, 2009, 09:01 PM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Sadly enough I have to differ... what can I say, I lurve you guys
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2010, 03:42 AM

Rumor
Jan 2, 2010, 02:29 AM

Just got back from seeing it. Visually it was stunning and very well done. The plot was mediocre, but I already knew it from seeing the commercials.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 11:57 AM

Well, that's impressive. As of last week, Avatar has taken in $760 million worldwide, making it top 30 of all time so far despite the fact it only came out 2 weeks ago.

It's well on its way to surpass $300 million US domestic, and $500 million international... and that would be getting into the territory of Spider-Man and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. It's already long passed the first Transformers by over $50 million.

It's also the #2 3D domestic release in history, with Up being #1. However, Up's lead isn't going to last long, since the lead is less than $10 million.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 2, 2010, 12:03 PM

Eug, it's very fitting that it be next to transformers, somehow. Both relied on effects to cover up a horrible story.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2010, 02:16 PM

Being it's all about the money, I'm sure they will get over it. History is starting to prove that you will ALWAYS make more money paying ILM than you will a writer, huh? LOL

Rumor
Jan 2, 2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Eug, it's very fitting that it be next to transformers, somehow. Both relied on effects to cover up a horrible story.
I wouldn't call the story horrible. Predictable and mediocre, but not horrible.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The story was reasonable, and well-crafted. It was a basically a well-written mainstream Disney movie, just not a super deep cutting edge drama.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Being it's all about the money, I'm sure they will get over it. History is starting to prove that you will ALWAYS make more money paying ILM than you will a writer, huh? LOL
Terminator Salvation. GI Joe.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2010, 02:44 PM

Terminator Budget - $200 million
Terminator Box Office Gross - $372,046,055
Link

G.I. Joe Budget - $175 million
G.I. Joe Box Office Gross - $301,543,074
Link

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Terminator Budget - $200 million
Terminator Box Office Gross - $372,046,055
Link

G.I. Joe Budget - $175 million
G.I. Joe Box Office Gross - $301,543,074
Link
Indeed. Both movies were hoped to make much more than that. There weren't failures financially, but with a better plotline, direction, and flow would probably have done better.

Terminator Salvation made $125 mil. domestic. GI Joe made $150 mil. domestic. That's pretty mediocre for PG-13 movies of those budgets. Hell, even District 9 with no-name actors and an R-rating made $115 million domestic, and it had a production budget of $30 million. It "only" made $200 million worldwide though.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 2, 2010 at 03:15 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2010, 03:14 PM

Everyone HOPES to make more and more money with every film they do. They made double their budget, hard to sit there moping about it. I understand what you are saying but its not like they lost money on the project.

For the record, I thought G.I.Joe was garbage, and am glad I didn't pay to see it. Once I saw the cast it pretty much was DOA.

Terminator I actually liked though.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Jan 2, 2010 at 03:56 PM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 03:14 PM

Why does a story have to be brand new for it to be good? There are many, many, many stories that we have enjoyed for years that have been based on other stories - e.g. Romeo and Juliet. Sometimes simply telling an old story in slightly new ways, or in a new medium can carry the weight.

I don't necessarily think that Avatar really tells the story in profoundly new ways, but it was a satisfying retelling of this classic story. It could have been a little more subtle, but I just don't think that the movie should be condemned to the extent in which some of you are.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2010, 03:54 PM

I don't enjoy Romeo and Juliet at all. Nothing is appealing about an emo chick and an emo dude falling in love and killing themselves.
Except for when it's Twilight.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Why does a story have to be brand new for it to be good? There are many, many, many stories that we have enjoyed for years that have been based on other stories - e.g. Romeo and Juliet. Sometimes simply telling an old story in slightly new ways, or in a new medium can carry the weight.

I don't necessarily think that Avatar really tells the story in profoundly new ways, but it was a satisfying retelling of this classic story. It could have been a little more subtle, but I just don't think that the movie should be condemned to the extent in which some of you are.
I generally agree with you. But i have the complete opposite opinion of this movie than you do(i think).

Lets just assume that the story itself is irrelevant. The movies that come to my mind are Dances With Wolves and Atlantis that have very similar stories to Avatar.

Dances of Wolves is in my all-time top 5, the quality of the fundamentals (script, characters, direction, acting, pacing, etc) were all awesome. They all contributed to an amazing emotional experience.

With Avatar..... the 'feeling' i got was similar to what i felt when i watched those new star wars movies.... a genuine lack of love(from the creators).... with a lot of special effects to woo the target audience. The lack in quality of the fundamentals cannot be covered up with great special effects.

So two movies, almost identical plot lines at two different ends of the spectrum of quality(to me).

Some could argue that District 9 had a very similar story as well(with the exception of the love interest), yet the execution and quality of the fundamentals were complete opposite imo (D9 actually delivered something refreshing, a new angle, a great format, and better(imo) special effects etc)

I think Titanic(despite the opinions of the academy) bastardized a story and a history with a poor script, bad acting and cliche' love story, but with amazing special effects. Just as that movie was catering to a specific demographic(people who like 'love stories'/'chick flicks'), so too does Avatar do the same except the target demographic is the 'sci-fi-fan', who is primarily wooed by(imo) space themes and special effects.

I'll hand it to Cameron, he knows how to milk his target demographic and push all their right buttons(at least in Titanic and Avatar).... i just wish he did it with a quality product as opposed to a crap product masquerading in pretty special effects.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 09:34 PM

Hawkeye, disregarding the story and characters (as you said you were), what grave failings did you find in the movie?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4 View Post
But your D9 BlueRay that's gotten fumbled by the post office is from 2010 ?

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2010, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But your D9 BlueRay that's gotten fumbled by the post office is from 2010 ?

-t
What is it with ze Chermans and their inability to recognize irony and lighthearted banter?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
What is it with ze Chermans and their inability to recognize irony and lighthearted banter?
Same could be said about you. Did you even get what I was referring to ?

-t

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Hawkeye, disregarding the story and characters (as you said you were), what grave failings did you find in the movie?
I said disregard the story, cause its been a cut-n-past story as mentioned before. The characters cannot be ignored imo. For example if D9 and Avatar have the save story arches, compare the main dude from Avatar to the main dude from D9. The characters from Avatar seemed like they were taken from a clip-art-gallery of characters and put into the movie.... the military dude, the scientist, the 'unlikely hero'(handicapped in this case), the beautiful 'savage' princess, her family, etc.... it wasnt any of them specifically, but despite the story being familiar, these characters were too familiar(to me), and the actors/director didnt even do a good job of giving them any depth.

As far as the other 'failings' of Avatar, the script sucked...... reminded me of that line "I don't like sand, sand is coarse n rough..."(or whatever from that Star Wars movie).

It was entertaining in theater, but im not impressed by special effects if the fundamentals are so poor, (new star wars movies, matrix 2 & 3, etc)
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 3, 2010 at 08:48 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 02:15 AM

I'm assuming you mean the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies? The first, IMHO, was easily the best of the lot.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 02:34 AM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2010, 07:13 AM

Finally saw it yesterday after a failed attempt last week (completely sold out).
As others have said, visually VERY impressive. Weak story but entertaining nonetheless.
Didn't really get the "3D headache" that I did get with Ice Age in 3D. But there were 2 things that were VERY annoying. First one is the subtitles: you need to actually refocus your eyes to read them. (and Papyrus wtf?)
Secondly, and most importantly: they REALLY need to up the framerate for 3D movies. Even relatively slow movements have motion blur.
Oh and one more thing, those glasses do make the movie pretty dim. But not annoyingly. I think they did make the movie pretty bright to compensate for the glasses.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2010, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm assuming you mean the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies? The first, IMHO, was easily the best of the lot.
Yup that was a typo. And yeah i really liked the first Matrix, despite the comparatively lesser emphasis on special effects. the characters had depth, the story was original and the script didnt suck.

Great/amazing special effects cannot make up for poor fundamentals imo. but if there are good fundamentals, and the special effects are less than amazing it would still be a good movie in my book.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Secondly, and most importantly: they REALLY need to up the framerate for 3D movies. Even relatively slow movements have motion blur.
That really annoyed the crap out of me too. Avatar was the first 3D movie I've seen since I was a kid, and that was the first thing I noticed.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 12:47 PM

Not motion blur. Motion blur is intentional and has little to do with the the frame rate. Motion blur has to do with the shutter speed. ie. You can have a 24 fps movie with minimal motion blur, by increasing the shutter speed to say 1/125. What you'll have is a succession of very crisp images with no motion blur, but at 24 fps. This is actually much worse. They use this for zombie movies, etc.

For example, if you watch Pixar movies, you'll notice they have tons of motion blur. They do that on purpose, because it looks real. If you don't put motion blur in the motion scenes, they look fake. One of the big advances in CG animation was incorporation of motion blur algorithms.

I suspect what you're describing is what James Cameron describes as strobing, which seems to be more obvious in 3D. Unfortunately, our digital theatres are equipped to display movies filmed for 48 fps in 3D. They can in 2D, but not 3D. They don't bother with 48 fps in 2D either though, because it's more expensive and more of a hassle, and most people don't complain for 2D anyway.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Dances of Wolves is in my all-time top 5, the quality of the fundamentals (script, characters, direction, acting, pacing, etc) were all awesome. They all contributed to an amazing emotional experience.

With Avatar..... the 'feeling' i got was similar to what i felt when i watched those new star wars movies.... a genuine lack of love(from the creators).... with a lot of special effects to woo the target audience. The lack in quality of the fundamentals cannot be covered up with great special effects.

So two movies, almost identical plot lines at two different ends of the spectrum of quality(to me).
Yep. It seemed like Avatar just moved through a list of things that needed to be checked off in order to tell that story. Here's the reason we have an unlikely hero. Here's the person that really cares about the natives. Here's the guy that hates them and wants to kill them. Here's the guy that just wants money. Here's the reason the natives accept the hero. Etc. It didn't flow well, and you instantly recognized each person or situation for what it was - it was extremely transparent and thin.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 06:02 PM

I agree it was transparent but I thought it flowed well.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Not motion blur. Motion blur is intentional and has little to do with the the frame rate. Motion blur has to do with the shutter speed. ie. You can have a 24 fps movie with minimal motion blur, by increasing the shutter speed to say 1/125. What you'll have is a succession of very crisp images with no motion blur, but at 24 fps. This is actually much worse. They use this for zombie movies, etc.

For example, if you watch Pixar movies, you'll notice they have tons of motion blur. They do that on purpose, because it looks real. If you don't put motion blur in the motion scenes, they look fake. One of the big advances in CG animation was incorporation of motion blur algorithms.

I suspect what you're describing is what James Cameron describes as strobing, which seems to be more obvious in 3D. Unfortunately, our digital theatres are equipped to display movies filmed for 48 fps in 3D. They can in 2D, but not 3D. They don't bother with 48 fps in 2D either though, because it's more expensive and more of a hassle, and most people don't complain for 2D anyway.
Yeah well you know what I mean I'm a photographer, so for me it looked like motion blur. As if they couldn't keep the camera stable. Maybe motion blur isn't the correct technical term so strobing it is! It was the first word that came up when trying to give it a name.

Point is: it's very annoying and distracting sometimes.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 06:57 PM

All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Sealobo
Jan 3, 2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post

All Time Worldwide Box Office Grosses
Is this list inflationary adjusted?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
Is this list inflationary adjusted?
No. It's a worthless statistic.

You can check the Top100 in Waybachmachine, going back to 2001.
All Time Worldwide Box Office

The numbers have only changed slightly (< 1%), which could not be inflation adjustments.

-t

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2010, 09:21 PM

Saw it in IMAX 3D and was impressed. No story comments. The movie really opened up what is possible. Who cares about 3D? It would be amazing in 2D!

Except for the fact that there wasn't an original concept in the whole movie, I though that this is what Lucas' Star Wars Prequels should have looked like, except they didn't.

I'm not sure if this is going to spawn a whole bunch of copy-cats. Unless the process starts getting cheaper really quickly, it will mean that there will only be a movie here and there for a while. Costs too much.

There might be some cheap-ass rip-off on sci-fi, er... I mean, SyFy, that looks like a cheap video game. Er... OK. Never mind.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 09:58 PM

Yeah, $1 billion in three weeks. Truly remarkable.

For inflation adjusted, it ($352 million) probably wouldn't make the top 100 for domestic... yet. It will definitely make the list though eventually.

The top 10 domestic are:

Gone With The Wind
Star Wars
The Sound Of Music
ET: The Extraterrestrial
The Ten Commandments
Titanic
Jaws
Dr. Zhivago
The Exorcist
Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 3, 2010, 10:57 PM

Just a tiny nit to pick, Eug-US or Canadian "domestic?" I think they'll track pretty closely to each other, but the order might be different.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 3, 2010, 11:10 PM

I believe "domestic" means US + Canada (although it could be US-only - not 100% sure).

---

Top 10 movie budgets of all time

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
Titanic
Spider-Man 3
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
King Kong
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Quantum of Solace
Superman Returns
Spider-Man 2

Note that Avatar wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure where it would fit on that list, since the budget estimates for that movie are all over the map. However, it is definitely on the top ten list somewhere.

I predict that Avatar will become the second highest grossing movie (not adjusted for inflation) of all time. When that prediction comes true, that will mean that James Cameron will have directed the two top grossers of all time, with two of the top 10 budgets of all time too.

BTW, my favourite James Cameron movie is The Terminator, which ironically had a production budget of just $6.4 million.
( Last edited by Eug; Jan 4, 2010 at 02:00 AM. )

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2010, 02:40 AM

Just watched it in 3D....

I walked in not knowing what to expect, I had not read anything about the story... nothing...

I knew it would be a retelling of all the stories we have heard in the past... honestly, which movie isn't?

I LOVED it... it was visually AMAZING, WELL WORTH THE 3D PRICE!

however, if you expect some amazing storyline you will be disappointed... but it is a truely amazing way to tell that particular story...

and I can't believe no one has mentioned this... but THIS IS FERNGULLY in the future... in space... with aliens... the scene with the doser really made that clear...

I want to watch it in IMAX 3D...

-Zach

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2010, 09:30 AM

I was in Santo Domingo over the weekend and was surprised to see they were showing it in 3D. The theater was packed and I ended up sitting a little closer to the screen than I like but it didn't prove to be a problem. Although I went in expecting to be disappointed I have to say I really enjoyed the movie. It was my first 3D movie (I'm still trying to figure out how at 46 years of age I've never seen a 3D movie). Suffered none of the eye strain/headache issues that have been mentioned. Found it very easy to watch. (This was with the 3D glasses over my regular glasses). Yes the story was predictable but I was in awe from beginning to end at the visuals. Totally worth the $7.50. I think that's one thing you have to put into the equation when reviewing a movie. It's pretty cheap entertainment.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Totally worth the $7.50. I think that's one thing you have to put into the equation when reviewing a movie. It's pretty cheap entertainment.
$29 for two tickets to see it in 3D here in the US. Ridiculous.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
$29 for two tickets to see it in 3D here in the US. Ridiculous.
So about $5.75/hr or so? Still seems like pretty cheap entertainment to me.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2010, 01:00 PM

While I don't think that $15 per tiecket is cheap, it's also not very expensive for 3 hours of entertainment.

Compare it to sports events or entertainment like musicals or theater, where you easily pay multiple times as much.

-t

pooka
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2010, 03:28 PM

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 4, 2010, 06:23 PM

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 4, 2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I believe "domestic" means US + Canada (although it could be US-only - not 100% sure).

---

Top 10 movie budgets of all time

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End
Titanic
Spider-Man 3
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
King Kong
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian
Quantum of Solace
Superman Returns
Spider-Man 2

Note that Avatar wasn't mentioned. I'm not sure where it would fit on that list, since the budget estimates for that movie are all over the map. However, it is definitely on the top ten list somewhere.

I predict that Avatar will become the second highest grossing movie (not adjusted for inflation) of all time. When that prediction comes true, that will mean that James Cameron will have directed the two top grossers of all time, with two of the top 10 budgets of all time too.

BTW, my favourite James Cameron movie is The Terminator, which ironically had a production budget of just $6.4 million.
Man, really?! Most of those movies are garbage, and also very recent. Does this mean that our culture is a sinking ship, that more people are going to movies to escape their own realities? I would have thought E.T. and a few others would be on there... but titanic?! Ugh.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2010, 06:31 PM

Inflation? ...ever heard of it?

Not only that, but these costs are way inflated by the studios for various reasons.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Nice.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Forum Links
Forum Rules