Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Virus Scan??

Virus Scan??
kramer3380
Dec 23, 2007, 01:36 PM

Hey guys, my mac has recently been running slow and my internet has been crashing when i have 3 windows open. I think i may have a virus. I know that it is rare to get a virus on a mac but i have been downloading lots of music and movies off of file sharing programs. Is there any free virus scan software that i can get that will allow me to detect and clean a possible virus if i have one?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2007, 01:57 PM

ClamXav

You won't find a virus though. There are probably other reasons for your browser crashes (I hope it's not your Internet that is crashing, because it's my Internet as well (there is only one) and I like it up and running).

Don't pirate. If you don't have lots of money settle on quality instead of quantity.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 02:01 PM

^ What he said.

How much free space do you have on your internal hard drive?

Cold Warrior
Dec 23, 2007, 02:53 PM

There was a thread just like yours recently. Maybe it'll answer your questions and concerns.

http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...worm-software/

kramer3380  (op)
Dec 23, 2007, 04:13 PM

i have a little bit over 50 gigs left on my hard drive... so i dont think of that

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2007, 04:32 PM

There are no viruses in the wild for OS X.

kramer3380  (op)
Dec 23, 2007, 05:53 PM

Could it be that the network that I am on is just not up to par?? because it is my house network. i have a regular cable modem with a wireless router and there are two computers that connect to it wirelessly and one computer that hooks right into the modem itself. I had a feeling that there would not be any virus but i just wanted to make sure. i ran a check and it came up with nothing as most of you said it would.

Cold Warrior
Dec 23, 2007, 05:56 PM

Try changing your DNS servers to something besides your ISP's. Use opendns (OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 23, 2007, 06:14 PM

For your peace of mind, download and run the (free) ClamXAV. Once it tells you that you have no viruses, take a look at what you're actually doing with the computer. Downloading a bunch of torrents at once? Processing video? Both at once? What computer do you have, and how much RAM does it have? I'd bet you don't have the RAM maxed out. And it's possible that there's something running in the background that is eating up clock cycles, but it's almost definitely something you intentionally installed or gave permission to run.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 06:32 PM

If you're running a lot of torrent stuff, be aware that you MUST limit its upstream bandwidth (to something like 70 or 80% of your maximum bandwidth), or you will starve your downstream internet connection, as well.

The reason for this is that everything little packet of data you receive from the internet gets a quick receipt acknowledgement from your computer. If your piracy endeavors are hogging your upstream, those receipts are delayed. If a server that's sending out data doesn't get those acknowledgements, it will stop sending data until it receives another sign of life from your machine, since sending to a dead connection would be a waste of computing power and bandwidth.

It may seem like your internet connection is dying, but YOU are the one that's killing it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2007, 07:03 PM

Perhaps an FAQ on how to optimize your internet connection for media piracy is in order?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 23, 2007, 07:45 PM

Throw in an FAQ about how to use the ****ING SEARCH ENGINE, while you're at it.

This forum is just a series of goddamn re-runs.

Time to retire, methinks.

bmwparamedic
Jan 13, 2008, 03:01 AM

Do you happen to be using comcast as your ISP?

Forum Links
Forum Rules