Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > [FL] Shuttle launch tonight

[FL] Shuttle launch tonight
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2008, 11:21 PM

Everyone look towards Cape Canaveral at 2:28AM. Make it a party if you want.
I will miss it AGAIN because of work. Can't you NASA guys ever launch on a weekend?

Gator Lager
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 12:14 AM

hey I just work on them. but you can't beat a night launch.

I didn't want to deal with the post launch traffic. so I came on home.
I wish everyone could get close to a launch. no way to explain it. you hear it and fell it.

so look for the early morning sunrise. 0228 shuttle rise that is.

Gator Lager
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 12:49 AM

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 01:18 AM

20 Minutes and holding.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2008, 01:49 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Gator Lager
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
who the heck is this person ? he made a comment about challenger doing an abort to orbit. huh ?? never happened. it lost one of the main engines on ascent, but it made it to orbit. we have never had an ascent to orbit abort. and he has said some other off the wall stuff.

don't get me wrong I like seeing people interested in the space program. I just want the info they give out to be correct.

but at least it a positive site about the shuttle.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 02:20 AM

I never considered Challengers explosion as an abort. During launch they called it a major malfunction (or something like that).

Gator Lager
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 02:37 AM

I was referring to the comment he said about the lost of main engine during ascent. he stated that they had to do an abort to orbit. that never happened.

an dammit I could not see the launch because of the clouds.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2008, 02:41 AM

I couldn't see it through the clouds either And to make things worse, it always steers away from our continent.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2008, 02:41 AM

I looked north but couldn't see it, there was a bit of cloud cover blocking my view. I've seen it before from my house, 200 miles south of Cape Canaveral.

Every time there's a shuttle thread I repeat how I saw a launch from a gator infested lakeside spot that I imagined was about as close as you could possibly get as a human without burning up. It was awesome, and I'm recalling that it was in the wee hours of the morning, I think right before sunrise perhaps. We took lots of rolls of film but I don't know where those are now. : \ Dunno what year it was, but it was surely the Challenger.
ice

Gator Lager
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I looked north but couldn't see it, there was a bit of cloud cover blocking my view. I've seen it before from my house, 200 miles south of Cape Canaveral.

Every time there's a shuttle thread I repeat how I saw a launch from a gator infested lakeside spot that I imagined was about as close as you could possibly get as a human without burning up. It was awesome, and I'm recalling that it was in the wee hours of the morning, I think right before sunrise perhaps. We took lots of rolls of film but I don't know where those are now. : \ Dunno what year it was, but it was surely the Challenger.
was it a V.I.P. viewing ?
if so I know were you where. and yep they are a large number of gators out their. big suckers.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2008, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post
was it a V.I.P. viewing ?
if so I know were you where. and yep they are a large number of gators out their. big suckers.
Dad worked at the AP. Apparently we could have been closer, but we stayed with a more family oriented group of people instead of braving the scary area where **** falls from the sky.
ice

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager View Post
I was referring to the comment he said about the lost of main engine during ascent. he stated that they had to do an abort to orbit. that never happened.
Challenger had an ATO on mission 51-F. Maybe that's what was referred to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules