Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Comparison between speeds

Comparison between speeds
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2004, 08:28 AM

I wonder what the difference in speed there can be between my dual G4 867 MDD and the new iMac G5 1.8 Ghz. Because all the websites always compare the speeds between new systems, never with older ones.

Any idea ?

Thanks
S k y p a t

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2004, 12:53 PM

I think that you can ask bare feats to do a comparison for you but I'm not sure.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Skypat:
I wonder what the difference in speed there can be between my dual G4 867 MDD and the new iMac G5 1.8 Ghz.
Any idea ?

Thanks
That may depend on the code you want to test. Generally, even if a program can fully exploit the two processors, it cannot run more fast on the 2x867 MHz G4 than on the 1.8 GHz G5, because of the low clock frequency of the MDD. I believe only such programs would run at comparable speeds in the two machines. Otherwise, I expect the iMac to be faster overall, especially in floating point code or when much bandwidth is required, situations where the G5 excels.

You can perhaps run some test in your machine, and ask others here with an iMac G5 to do the same and post the results. It would be interesting to see comparative results on the same code and same settings.

chrisrb2004
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2004, 03:51 AM

I was intrested in this also, so I followed a test on i think barefeats, in which they exported a quicktime movie and timed the exporting, on the G5 it took 39 seconds. on my G4 800 imac with max ram it took 4 mins.... ordered the G5 20" shortly therafter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules