Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Flappy Bird not pulled because of Nintendo, company insists

Flappy Bird not pulled because of Nintendo, company insists
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 10, 2014, 03:04 PM

The creator of Flappy Bird, Dong Nguyen, didn't pull the app because of threats from Nintendo, a spokesman for the latter suggests. Although very different in terms of gameplay, many people have commented that the pipes in Flappy Bird look similar or identical to those from Nintendo's Super Mario Bros. series. In a new email, spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa repeats the position that Nintendo has never made any complaints.

"While we usually do not comment on the rumors and speculations, we have already denied the speculation," Minagawa says.

Before its removal Flappy Bird was enormously successful, generating over 50 million downloads and more than $50,000 a day in ad revenue. Nguyen has complained about being overwhelmed by the attention though, and has said he won't return the game online unless he feels otherwise.

jdonahoe
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2014, 05:50 PM

If I was making $50000 a day, I'd put up with a LOT of abuse!

It may be the lawyers at Nintendo really spooked him with non disclosure tied to their desist and decease.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2014, 06:05 PM

There are lots of similarities from that game to SuperMario. Not just the pipes, it's the whole feel of it including background, the pixelated bird (16bit SNES look character).... etc.
( Last edited by coffeetime; Feb 11, 2014 at 01:51 PM. )

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2014, 08:16 AM

I really cannot see why the game was popular - I thought it sucked, and deleted it after several minutes of play.

sammaffei
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2014, 10:43 AM

But "auto_immune" you did download it and was fed at least one ad. So, it worked from the author's standpoint.

Forum Links
Forum Rules