Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo galleries online : how

Photo galleries online : how
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 08:00 AM

Hi. I would like to post my pictures on the web. I know iPhoto does it but I think �99 is too expensive for a .mac account.

Do you know how I could make photo galleries and put them online ? Is there a program I could use ? iPhoto can prepare a gallery (with big and small pictures), but how can I use the files to put them online ?

Thanks !
S k y p a t

macnnhelpme
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 09:05 AM

photopost will do what you want, www.photopost.com. Spymac's gallery runs on it.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 01:51 PM

Photoshop does a very nice web gallery automatically. If you know HTML you can go in and tweek the code to customize the pages.

Most of SD45.com a railroad photography website I do

http://www.sd45.com

was prepared just using Photoshop's web gallery generator, and the code lightly changed for captions/logos etc.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 27, 2003, 04:19 PM

Thank you for your ideas ... Photopost seems interesting. And your site looks great NYCFarmboy ! ;-)
S k y p a t

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2003, 05:57 AM

Photoshop Elements 2 and iPhoto work well, too.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

frates
Aug 30, 2003, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Skypat:
H iPhoto can prepare a gallery (with big and small pictures), but how can I use the files to put them online ?
use any ftp client program to send the resulting files to a webspace (any, maybe the one you've certainly got from your ISP, or another, there are a lot of free ones).

If you want a better export, more customizable for your galleries from iphoto, you should check Galerie , it's free and quite powerfull

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 08:20 PM

Use iphoto, but get the 'better html export' plugin- loads of templates, variable jpeg compression (thumbs and full size) very very good. The only difference between iphoto and this is that you have to export and upload- instead of on the fly. The resuts are great though- the templates on the site mimic .mac ones (and sometimes better)

http://www.droolingcat.com/software/betterhtmlexport/

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2003, 10:35 PM

You can get your own domain for $10 and then get a host for $7.95 a month with ipowerweb.com - 500mb of space you should be able to show all the photos you want!
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2003, 11:55 PM

most of the off-the-shelf php folder/gallery viewrs are good...

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 1, 2003, 04:41 AM

"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 8, 2003, 10:10 AM

My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:47 AM

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 01:48 AM

its good stuff, i use it for most of my stuff that I don't use flash/xml for, its real nice and easy. I keep meaning on writing a flash front end for it and haven't got around to it yet. if anyone does let me know.

Robert Hicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2003, 12:07 PM

What is the better photo gallery generator for .Mac accounts? Most of the ones listed here require PHP and some require Mysql.

I currently use Gallery and love it but for various reasons would rather use my .Mac homepage space(and purchase more storage).

Are there any comparison example web pages that show the difference between Photoshop and various other photo album exports?

Robert

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 9, 2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
gallery
what he said. it's what i use.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by chris.p:
Use iphoto, but get the 'better html export' plugin- loads of templates, variable jpeg compression (thumbs and full size) very very good. The only difference between iphoto and this is that you have to export and upload- instead of on the fly. The resuts are great though- the templates on the site mimic .mac ones (and sometimes better)

http://www.droolingcat.com/software/betterhtmlexport/
This program is GREAT!! I'm trying it right now and am VERY impressed! Give it a shot!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 01:26 AM

yellowlab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2004, 08:41 AM

I have many many online photo albums, and the best by far is pbase.com
You can put in captions, customize, view your pictures at various sizes, change, add, and edit constantly, its the most versitile album site available.
You can do a Tripod photo album too.
Remember with your .mac albums, you cannot edit and add pictures as you go along. You have to have them all ready and put them up all at once. You can import from iPhoto this way, but it takes longer.

Pbase is my favourite. You also can just send a link for an individual picture with them.
The only thing they dont do is make prints,as that is not their real purpose, you can use Shutterfly, ClubPhoto, or one of those for that. They are reasonably priced also.
Pbase is only $23 a year, and you can start out with a trial free account to see how you like it. No, I dont work for them, I just have been using them from the beginning.
Jane

Forum Links
Forum Rules