Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What is the point of the floatin keyboard?

What is the point of the floatin keyboard?
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 02:39 PM

I loaded up Garage Band for the first time and a keyboard was floating in the middle. I hit the keys for a little while and it was fun, but I didn't see the point of it. I can't click the piano keys fast enough to make a song, so what is it for?

hotani
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 05:36 PM

i haven't even seen this app, but i'm gonna go ahead and throw out an answer here.

I'm sure it is not for playing anything, but for finding a pitch, for a vocalist or something. Nice to have the notes right there in front of you if you need them.

how's that sound?
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 05:47 PM

You're right, it's not very useful. But I did use it last night. I needed to transpose a couple of the loops from C major to the C blues scale. In that scale, both G and Gb (read G flat) are allowed. I needed to see which would sound better, and since I don't have a keyboard (yet) I used to floating window.

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2004, 01:51 AM

My guitar tuner ran out of batteries so I used it to tune them up. worked like a charm.
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2004, 09:18 AM

Using the keyboard's a kludge, but it helps, as someone said, to find a sound without moving your body towards the keyboard on your desk.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 10:03 AM

"What is the point of the floatin keyboard?"

to play music...duh.
no seriously...

for those that dont have a keyboard it is useful. also useful for tuning and other things.
i use mine to do pplay around and fine nice little tunes until my KB arrives.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by dwishbone:

to play music...duh.
no seriously...

for those that dont have a keyboard it is useful. also useful for tuning and other things.
i use mine to do pplay around and fine nice little tunes until my KB arrives.
Yeah but its rather useless having only mouse control. plunk-plunk-plunk doesn't go very far. I was amazed that GB doesn't have an actual keyboard mode to control the keyboard...

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2004, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
Yeah but its rather useless having only mouse control. plunk-plunk-plunk doesn't go very far. I was amazed that GB doesn't have an actual keyboard mode to control the keyboard...
yeah that would have been nice. use the feeback link and suggest it
i would like a toilet made of solid gold...but its not in the cards is it.
im in a weird mood today...sorry.
anyway, id like the ability to mixdown WITHOUT going to iTunes...because i always have to go delete it out of my library. mixdown to desktop would be fine with me.
adding some common effects that can be added to individual tracks at only specific times would be good.
i mean GB is great for what it is...and ill take it over Acid Pro 4 that I have on my PC any day. for $49 you can't beat GB.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

absmiths
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Silky Voice of The Gorn:
I really don't see the point in that. If I need to "play" a keyboard, I will use a real keyboard with force feedback, etc. I don't want to have to learn to make music on a typewriter to use GB. I do wish that the dumb thing didn't come up by DEFAULT with every new project.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by dwishbone:

to play music...duh.
no seriously...

I don't believe anyone in his right mind would have considered that keyboard a tool for making music.

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 05:25 PM

Hey if you don't like it you can click it away.

-

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 10:03 PM

I actually composed and played a song on it. It wasn't great, because I was making it up as I went along and I had to keep moving the mouse, but it actually wasn't too bad. (Granted, it wasn't NEARLY as good as if I had an actual keyboard but -- hey -- my 14-year-old was impressed! All those years of piano lessons so long ago paid off...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules