Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new displays at apple stores...

new displays at apple stores...
action
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2004, 12:26 PM

hi gang,

as the new screens are shipping and folks are actually receiving them, has anyone heard when the retail and resellers will be receiving them.

i called apple soho and spoke with several people and they all gave me the same line: the screens will be shipping at the end of summer.

when i reminded them the apple website states they are now shipping they act like i'm lying to them.

this surprises me since the apple retail stores usually receives some quanities of any items that first ships.

thanks for any insight.

chung

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by action:
hi gang,

as the new screens are shipping and folks are actually receiving them, has anyone heard when the retail and resellers will be receiving them.

i called apple soho and spoke with several people and they all gave me the same line: the screens will be shipping at the end of summer.

when i reminded them the apple website states they are now shipping they act like i'm lying to them.

this surprises me since the apple retail stores usually receives some quanities of any items that first ships.

thanks for any insight.

chung
Got mine today. Check out the pics:

http://homepage.mac.com/waltafalla/PhotoAlbum10.html

Enjoy!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2004, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Xterratop:

Enjoy!
What are your initial thoughts on it? Great pictures...

osxisfun
Jul 14, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Xterratop:

Enjoy!

nice...

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
What are your initial thoughts on it? Great pictures...
My initial thoughts:

Well, when the FedEx man gave me the box after signing off for it, I was amazed at how light it was compared to the old 20" displays. Four months ago I helped a buddy of mine with his new G5 and 20" display (it was the old 20" sawtooth display), and I noticed how heavy it was because of the materials that were used to make the display. When I opened the box, I noticed how small the frame looked compared to my old Sony 19" CRT monitor.

Hooking it up was very simple. I particularly like the cables- it was one cable that branched out into different cables to connect to the CPU. Once I hooked everything up, I noticed how wide it was- a little longer than the side length of the G5. Again, I still felt it looked a little small though. But once I turned it on, it looked so much bigger. I like the screen size and after taking a few pictures, I noticed that I could eventually add another 20" display and still have space on my desk.

I then grabbed my loop magnifier to search for any dead pixels. There were NO dead pixels on this baby. The base is a good size to hold the display. The brushed aluminum matched the G5 perfectly and I particularly liked how Apple made their logo stand out as a non-brushed aluminum logo. When you tilt the display, it moves very smoothly just like when you open a Powerbook or adjust the tilt of a iMac. I do wish that Apple should have designed the neck of the display to move up and down as well.

The controls are located on the right side of the display. They are very SENSITIVE to the touch when you adjust the brightness. The power button is located there also.

Overall, compared to the other displays on the market, this one wins hands down when it comes to clarity of screen, design, and functionality. Before I got my 20" display, I borrowed a friend's 19" NEC LCD display and comparing the two was no competition. I sometimes forget that I'm looking at a LCD display because I was so used to working on large CRT displays.

If you have the money, and don't need tons of screen space but enough to get by, go for the 20". I'm sure the 23" is even more stunning but the 20" is just right for me. I can't wait to see the new 30" in the Apple stores. I wouldn't want something that big but having this 20" really makes me look forward to adding another in the next year or two from now. Cheers!

Enjoy!

dirtbikephil
Jul 14, 2004, 11:32 PM

Sweetness!!! I really want a 20" really bad, but I guess I'll just stick w/my 19" and 17" setup

mosespatrader
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2004, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by action:
hi gang,

thanks for any insight.

chung
I also called an Apple store (Dallas, TX). They also give me the company stance "end of week". The person I talked to said no one has received shipment yet. So I told him to go to macnn.com or macrumors.com.

You would think Apple would tell their own people when products ship. Or the sales people would have enough common sense to visit the apple website once in a while.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2004, 01:03 AM

The guy in the Las Vegas store told me July 23rd or 30th. Seems a little too specific, huh?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2004, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by mosespatrader:
I also called an Apple store (Dallas, TX). They also give me the company stance "end of week". The person I talked to said no one has received shipment yet. So I told him to go to macnn.com or macrumors.com.

You would think Apple would tell their own people when products ship. Or the sales people would have enough common sense to visit the apple website once in a while.
I usually have more knowledge of new products than the people at my Apple Store. It seems kind of pathetic sometimes. Their hiring policies are baffling.

aruba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 05:19 PM

I was able to inspect the new 23" HD monitor today at my local Apple Store. In a word, this new monitor is stunning. The resolution is incredibly sharp. The physical form of the monitor is just as slick as the online photos on the Apple web site. The movement of the monitor in its stand is smooth. I did notice that the monitor case was very warm, in fact I would describe it as hot. There was an old version of the 20" monitor at the store that was cool by comparison. The Apple store had two of the new 23" monitors on display and both were hot to the touch.

Comments from those running the monitor at home?

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by aruba:
I was able to inspect the new 23" HD monitor today at my local Apple Store. In a word, this new monitor is stunning. The resolution is incredibly sharp. The physical form of the monitor is just as slick as the online photos on the Apple web site. The movement of the monitor in its stand is smooth. I did notice that the monitor case was very warm, in fact I would describe it as hot. There was an old version of the 20" monitor at the store that was cool by comparison. The Apple store had two of the new 23" monitors on display and both were hot to the touch.

Comments from those running the monitor at home?

My 20" display isn't hot at all. Its a little warm but not hot like a powerbook. I'm curious about comparing the 20" to the 23" when my local Apple store gets them.

Xterratop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by mosespatrader:

Just to let you know, I ordered mine through my education sales representative at Apple. I've been dealing business with this guy for quite some time and he's done well over the years. I make my purchase right when they announced the new displays (06/28). He told me that the online sales and Apple stores are two seperate parts of the company. I received my 20" display before both stores in the Dallas area would get them in stock. Single orders that people make online or over the phone are sent out faster than a dozen of them sent to the Apple store.

Personally, I think that Apple needs to make their announcements when they have mass manufactured their products and stocked in their stores. I hate it when they announce the new product and then you have to wait 3-4 weeks to get the darn thing. Heck, I'm still waiting for them to announce that Motion is being shipped.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2004, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by aruba:
I did notice that the monitor case was very warm, in fact I would describe it as hot. There was an old version of the 20" monitor at the store that was cool by comparison. The Apple store had two of the new 23" monitors on display and both were hot to the touch.
I had wondered about that. The old displays had big vents on the back and the new ones have none. I suppose the aluminum is supposed to reduce the heat without venting?

action  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 01:19 PM

hi folks,

my ordeal is finally over. after calling apple soho for the last three days asking if they had the displays and getting an end of summer response, a macnn member said apple white plains had them in stock.

i called apple white plains and they had one 23 incher left and was ready to drive there to get one if soho didn't have them.

i waited till the morning and called apple soho and yes in deed they had only the 23 inchers. the salesperson said she didn't expect them to last the day.

i went at noon and picked one up.

when i purchesed the g5 last august i didn't purchase a cinenma display then in anticipation of new displays being released. little did i know it would take almost 10 months.

i just didn't want to spend that much money on a monitor that was 4 years old. i'm glad i waited and now i love my new display.

it's definitely brighter and the colors pop. the older 23's were rather dull compared to the older 20's. the new 23's are as good as the old 20's.

it's freakin beautyfull.

monitor was purchased for photoshop and final cut pro and related apps.

i have an important editing job that's starts on sunday and this is will make it that much easier. ultimately that's what i want my machines to do, make my life easier.

chung

ps, the white accents on the side actually makes the white keyboard and my ibook match the entire system. that was a nice bonus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules