Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G5: Bluetooth 1 or 2 ?

New G5: Bluetooth 1 or 2 ?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005, 10:18 AM

I can't find the info on Apple website ...

I hope it is bluetooth 2 !

Thanks
S k y p a t

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 09:30 AM

No one knows ?
S k y p a t

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 09:47 AM

Internal Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) Module:
Apple's internal Bluetooth module fits completely inside the computer so there's nothing that sticks out or can break off and it's easy to secure. This module allows you to connect your Power Mac G5 with Bluetooth-enabled peripheral devices, such as the Apple Wireless Keyboard or Wireless Mouse, mobile phones and PDAs wirelessly. Synchronize data or send files without using an inch of cable.

Bluetooth unplugs your digital peripherals and makes cable clutter a thing of the past. Bluetooth is an open specification for wireless data transmission that operates on the globally available 2.4GHz radio frequency. Bluetooth devices can communicate with each other within a 30-foot range. Using Bluetooth, personal digital assistants, cellular phones, and other devices can connect wirelessly with your Mac.

Bluetooth opens up a new world of possibilities. Together, Apple's iSync application and Bluetooth allow you to easily synchronize your address book and calendar with your mobile phone and your Palm powered PDA without even having to plug them into the computer. Additionally, you will be able to manage many of your mobile phones features from your Macintosh. By linking your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone with Apple's address book in Mac OS X you can dial your contacts, send SMS text messages, and managing incoming voice calls right from your desktop1. Bluetooth opens up a new dimension in wireless communication. Go cable free, share, send, and synchronize with Bluetooth. It's easy and fun!
BZ

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 03:36 PM

Is that for the new PowerMacs only? What about the low end 1.8GHz?

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by BZ

BZ
Where did you read the info ? Do you have a link ? Thank you !
S k y p a t

curmi
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 08:20 AM

I too can find no mention of this on the web page. Apple's own Bluetooth page mentions Bluetooth 2 is only in the powerbooks.

It seems odd to me - only the PowerBooks have Bluetooth 2. The recently introduced mini, and possible the new PowerMac, have Bluetooth 1. It would seem the new iMacs (when announced) will also be Bluetooth 1. Apple might as well not bothered with Bluetooth 2...

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 09:34 AM

Yes ... I agree. Bluetooth 2 is much better compared to BT1 with BT2 compatible devices. I am specially thinking of longer battery life or wider range ... I hope the new towers come with the latest generation of BT but I doubt it ...
S k y p a t

Andrew Ruess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Skypat
Where did you read the info ? Do you have a link ? Thank you !
It is weird that Apple's Power Mac G5 Technical Specifications do not list Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, but you can easily find it listed in their online store. Odd, no?

Go to the Apple Store, click on the Power Macs, select any of the Dual 2.0s or above, and then under the Wireless Options click Learn More. The page that loads lists Bluetooth 2.0+EDR as the Bluetooth you would be installing in the BTO.

Originally Posted by Apple Online Store Power Mac G5 Configuration Page
Internal Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) Module:

Apple's internal Bluetooth module fits completely inside the computer so there's nothing that sticks out or can break off and it's easy to secure. This module allows you to connect your Power Mac G5 with Bluetooth-enabled peripheral devices, such as the Apple Wireless Keyboard or Wireless Mouse, mobile phones and PDAs wirelessly. Synchronize data or send files without using an inch of cable.
Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the Single 1.8Ghz machine only supports Bluetooth 1.0. Probably because Apple didn't update the interior; it is the same model that was being sold last week.

The wonderful thing about the Bluetooth modules, however, is that they are not soldered on the system board. It merely connects via an internal USB header and sits on two risers above the system board. You can buy after-market upgrade kits from retailers like Small Dog (for example, the antenna or the actual board) and simply install it yourself (as shown in this guide).

And this little snippet from the Official Apple Power Mac G5 Technical Specifications page gives me hope:

Originally Posted by Official Apple Power Mac G5 Technical Specifications
Wireless Options:

AirPort Extreme ready (based on 802.11g specification; IEEE 802.11b Wi-Fi certified); Bluetooth option (build-to-order option; also available as an Apple Authorized Service Provider upgrade kit on dual-processor systems)
Bold text is my emphasis. I hopety hope hope hope this means soon I will be able to buy the Bluetooth 2.0+EDR internal board & antenna from some random online parts purveyor like Small Dog or simply take it back to the Apple Store for upgrade.

The downside is that so far *no one* knows this is possible, or even realizes the part is orderable from Apple or AppleCare. Having called official Apple Stores in Portland, Seattle, San Franscisco, Chicago, and New York (what? I have Vonage!) some of the geniuses I get on the phone say, "Sorry, can't be done. You're smoking crack." I direct them to the page, they see it, and say, "Uh... might be a typo. Can't be done. You're smoking crack." The other half say, "You know, entirely possible. They released an upgrade kit for the Mac mini a month or so after it was released... call us back in a few weeks, we might know more."

I already have the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and can't use it. My future phone and 12" PowerBook will both have Bluetooth 2.0+EDR, so it would be nice to have it on my desktop too. Since it is just an internal USB install, I'm almost willing to order one of the Bluetooth 1.0 boards and slap it in there... but I think I will give it a month or so for the Apple people to let their stores and Authorized Service Providers know upgrading a Power Mac G5 with an internal Bluetooth 2.0+EDR kit *is* something they can accomplish.
( Last edited by Andrew Ruess; May 1, 2005 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added link to Bluetooth 1.0 Upgrade Kit.)
Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz | 23" ACD | ATI Radeon 9650; Soon to be ATI X800 XT
15" PowerBook 1.25Ghz | ATI Radeon 9600 | 1.25Gb RAM | 100Gb 5400 RPM Hard Drive | SuperDrive
Athlon 64 3500+ | XFX GeForce 6800GT 256Mb VRAM

badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 04:30 AM

any update on this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules