Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Are the 23" Cinema display ok now ?

Are the 23" Cinema display ok now ?
Skypat
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2005, 07:35 AM

Hi

I would like to replace my 20" cinema display (allu) by a 23" from Apple. I've heard that the 23" suffered from some color problems (sort of pink shadows on the screen) etc.

I would like to know if there are still quality issues with the models that are produced today. Could you tell me?

Thank you !!
S k y p a t

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2005, 04:25 PM

I own a 23" alu cinema display. As far as I know, everything has been worked out for some time now. Mine is gorgeous.

Go for it =)
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2005, 06:20 PM

been great for a while now.

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2005, 03:44 AM

Good. But is the color problem (yellow corners and pink shadow) noticable right out of the box or it takes time to appear ? Thanks!
S k y p a t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2005, 07:18 AM

right away.

I haven't seen that problem in over half a year.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2005, 09:44 AM

I'm on the new 23" and it's brighter then the old 23", smaller and SO MUCH lighter. I see no color issue but I do recommend calibrating it.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

havocidal
Oct 28, 2005, 11:49 PM

despite reading all ur posts here... im still skeptical about the 23" partially due to all the posts I've read in the apple discussion boards...

still contemplating between the 20" and the 23"... so anyway those of u who have excellent 23" displays... when did u receive yours?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2005, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by havocidal
despite reading all ur posts here... im still skeptical about the 23" partially due to all the posts I've read in the apple discussion boards...
Look at the dates on those discussions.

I *sell* these things, and we haven't had any problems in over six months.

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
I *sell* these things, and we haven't had any problems in over six months.
If there is a problem, will Apple repair or replace a 23" ADC with a red/pink caste?

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 09:38 PM

delete

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2005, 09:40 PM

delete

Skypat  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2005, 10:49 AM

Has anyone here seen a 24" Dell flat panel and an Apple 23" side by side ? The specs of the Dell seem impressive ... I am wondering if Apple is planning an upgrade of their cinema displays lineup in terms of performance (speed, contrast ratio etc.). What do you think ?
S k y p a t

voo
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Skypat
Has anyone here seen a 24" Dell flat panel and an Apple 23" side by side ? The specs of the Dell seem impressive ... I am wondering if Apple is planning an upgrade of their cinema displays lineup in terms of performance (speed, contrast ratio etc.). What do you think ?
The Dell 24" is alot brighter than the 23" ACD, I even have the Dell set to 0 for brightness and its still pretty retna bright. To be honest the brightness is actually just perfect through the day but its when at night its so bright it feels like its sucking your eyes out.

Though both screens seem to be on par for speed, the Dell is a great screen but I just love the apple display for using as the grey frame is not one bit distracting like the black for the Dell.

Speaking of updates Dell is actually coming out with a 3007fpw and 2007fpw sometime next year, hdcp hdi/dvi honestly don't know what resolutions they will support.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2005, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by voo
Speaking of updates Dell is actually coming out with a 3007fpw and 2007fpw sometime next year, hdcp hdi/dvi honestly don't know what resolutions they will support.
If that's true, I'm predicting a $2000 launch price (minus the usual discounts makes $1500-1600 ) for the 3007FPW. Media card readers on both (like the 2405 has)... and maybe a Firewire hub? I don't know that consumers are demanding a FW hub since most people have only one Firewire device.
And watch for Apple to start slashing prices on the 30" like they have with the 20" and 23" in the last year or so.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2005, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
If that's true, I'm predicting a $2000 launch price (minus the usual discounts makes $1500-1600 ) for the 3007FPW. Media card readers on both (like the 2405 has)... and maybe a Firewire hub? I don't know that consumers are demanding a FW hub since most people have only one Firewire device.
And watch for Apple to start slashing prices on the 30" like they have with the 20" and 23" in the last year or so.
I doubt seriously that Dell would put Firewire on a display. USB 2.0 is likely but Firewire? Ain't gonna happen.

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2005, 11:52 PM

for the people who have the 23" apple display, did you choose it over the 20" because of the greater resolution?

voo
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 02:29 AM

Yep, lovely res is 1920x1200. The 20" would feel too small and 30" just too big.

voo
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2005, 04:18 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2005, 05:37 PM

I'd get the Dell monitor instead. Gorgeous screen, more ports, and cheaper.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules