Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > internet cable dodgy connection

internet cable dodgy connection
ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2006, 09:32 AM

The cable is a cable. It's a standard thing; there is no such thing as a Mac or PC network cable. Push it in harder and it should click in. Really, it's that simple.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 09:34 AM

Ethernet cable is ethernet cable. Doesn't matter Mac or PC.
Two possibilities... One is you're not pushing it in far enough to get it to click in. Or two, there's something blocking or obstructing your ability to put it in far enough. Check for bent pins or anything looking amiss.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 26, 2006, 01:21 PM

Hi,

The cables don't click on my MacBook either. However, it doesn't slip out or anything of that sort and maintains a steady connection. Just push it in further.

tether
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 03:11 PM

the cable that connects my powerbook to the internet box doesnt click into the port on my powerbook. like it goes in, but it slips and breaks the connection very easily. i think its an ethernet cable.

it says cat.5E on the cable

i bought a new cable, and its a bit better but it still doesnt click in.

is it cos its a mac and the cable is designed for pc? or something else?

tether
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2006, 03:16 PM

however hard i push it in it doesnt click, and its sometimes difficult to get the connection, looking in the port hole there doesnt seem to be any obstruction or dirt or any bent bits or anything.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 05:32 PM

CAT5/5e is the right kind... maybe it's just a cheap cable and wasn't designed right! All the ethernet cables I've used have clicked in very firmly to any ethernet port. I suppose it's possible there's something wrong with your Macs port, but it seems unlikely.

There's usually a plastic tab on the top that is the part that "clicks" in. Should look something like this

Originally Posted by tether
is it cos its a mac and the cable is designed for pc?
Originally Posted by ghporter
there is no such thing as a Mac or PC network cable.
( Last edited by Apfhex; Jun 27, 2006 at 05:38 PM. )
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

tether
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2006, 01:36 PM

that's exactly what it looks like; i dont think its a cheap and nasty - the cable that came with the broadband box didnt click in, and then i bought a new one and thats the same.

when i look in the port, i see 8 contacts. the ones on the outside, on either side, are pushed down further than the other 6. is that normal? they dont look bent - they kind of look like theyre supposed to be like that - since either side looks the same.

though that would only seem to be part of it - one aspect of the prob is that the thing doesnt click and hold. the other that is that even if i hold it in firmly with my hand, often the connection is still difficult to get - i cant get a connection at all at the mo - i'm on dialup.

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Jun 28, 2006, 07:59 PM

When you push the connector in, push UP on the tab. If the tab is properly made, it should lock into place and hold the cable in securely. If not, it will either not pop up into the locking recess or will not stay up. Either way, you need a new cable. Get a high quality one, such as from Monster-they're expensive but worth it if yoru connection doesn't fall out all the time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tether
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 02:28 AM

i tried pushing up and it doesnt click in. but neither does it connect At All. I tried holding it with my thumb wedged under the tab to hold the thing down onto the contacts; i tried angling it slightly up/down/ to the side, but nothing works. The thing has made a connection before, though it would lose the connection sometimes. Now I cant get any connection. Surely the cable can't be that badly made that it won't give me any connection?

Forum Links
Forum Rules