Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 vs. Powerbook - Durability

iBook G4 vs. Powerbook - Durability
HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 02:11 PM

I'm planning on buying an Apple notebook soon, probably at Apple store in mid-January. I was wondering, what of durability between the iBook and the Powerbook? I'm gonna be carrying the iBook around a lot more, probably sticking it in my backpack with my books and such.

I'm also pretty clumsy, and I know accidents will happen.

So has anyone ever accidently dropped their iBook or Powerbook? Or maybe experience a hard bump?

Thanks.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2003, 05:38 PM

i never dropped my ibook, but it had a few bumps, nothing too hard mind you, and it took them like a champ. to me the ibook looks like a solid laptop. it has that thick plastic _casing_ on it which the powerbook does not have.

i think if you are going to be very careful with either, they should be fine, but if you know you are accident prone, or are just going to toss the laptop in a backpack with books and stuff, then maybe the, to my eyes, studier ibook is a better choice.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 28, 2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by HotSoup:
I'm planning on buying an Apple notebook soon, probably at Apple store in mid-January. I was wondering, what of durability between the iBook and the Powerbook? I'm gonna be carrying the iBook around a lot more, probably sticking it in my backpack with my books and such.

I'm also pretty clumsy, and I know accidents will happen.

So has anyone ever accidently dropped their iBook or Powerbook? Or maybe experience a hard bump?

Thanks.
I know a friend of mine who has a the old 15" TiBook who innocently drop his notebook case while the TiBook was in it and it was dented in the front corner. Now I don't know if there's any difference w/ the newer AlBooks.

As for the iBook I accidently drop mines when loaded in my lapcase and forgot to strap it down and zip up my bag. I was in a hurry and doing 5 things at once, lift up my bag and out it came and crashed on the floor. There's no visable signs of damage nor was there any internal signs of damage. After that I decided to get on those bags that was design for my iBook.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by CeRtiFiedSkitZo:
As for the iBook I accidently drop mines when loaded in my lapcase...
Wow. I'm a bit clumsy myself but I've never dropped mines on my iBook!!!

iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Wow. I'm a bit clumsy myself but I've never dropped mines on my iBook!!!

LOL! the mines are dropped when the iBook is in the case. He does not say where the mines are dropped. Presumably, the case is very sturdy.

bimmerphile
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 10:27 AM

Thin metal....thick plastic...

This one really is as much of a no-brainer as it seems
-Kris Olson | 12" PBG4 1.5GHz

Monde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 05:33 PM

I've had a G3 800mhz iBook since it's revision came out and it has held up famously. While I cannot say I've dropped it, I would say it can endure reasonable knocks and bumps. The only downshot I can see to this machine is that the keys are a little flimsy. Considering I plug in a external keyboard for anything wordy, that isn't too much of an issue. Whatever you do-get the Applecare-it is a portable after all and things can happen. Best Luck
----------------------------
We are the music makers
And we are the dreamers of Dreams
----------------------------

ou_bobcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 06:57 PM

this is one of the prime reasons that I chose the ibook over the powerbook. i've read about people with dented and warped cases. I didn't need the extra power and the lower price didnt hurt either!

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2004, 08:10 AM

I dropped my iBook 12 to 18 inches onto asphalt. Not a single scratch, no problems. I was probably very luck on the angle at which it hit.

And if youre wondering how on earth I let this happen, my briefcase opened accidentally while I picked it off a car seat, spilling its contents on the ground. Don't try this at home.

m_young
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by mgl:
I dropped my iBook 12 to 18 inches onto asphalt. Not a single scratch, no problems. I was probably very luck on the angle at which it hit.

And if youre wondering how on earth I let this happen, my briefcase opened accidentally while I picked it off a car seat, spilling its contents on the ground. Don't try this at home.
How could it not scratch? My ibook has scratches everywhere, and it never gets dropped.

pysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 03:12 PM

I personally take my iBook to school with me everyday, just stacked in my backpack w/ all my books and binders, and it has performed marvelously! Now mind you it is fairly scuffed, although the new iBook G4's take this better than the clear G3 iBooks, as I have had both. I'm sure my iBook gets knocked around a bit on the train and bus on the way to school, but I have never had a single issue with mine. I really don't see the need for a specialized case for my iBook, although after feeling and playing with Powerbooks, I don't think my opinion would be the same with those. As someone mentioned earlier, thin metal vs. thick plastic. Good luck with the decision!
iMac G5 1.8 17" SD/768MB/80GB
iPod Mini 4gb Rev. B
external firewire 400 120GB drive

Necrocool
Forum Regular
Jan 27, 2004, 02:43 PM

For durability, I think you also have to take scratches into consideration. Most people will probably not drop their laptop... (but unfortunately i just dropped my 12" ... bent on one corner... but later i bent it back... not bad) .. My iBook I had before the PowerBook got scratches all over the place and especially on the bottom. My PowerBook has yet got get any visible scratches. So if you really like to baby your computer, PowerBook is the way to go.... So you won't cry looking at all the scratches on the iBook

Forum Links
Forum Rules