Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > iTunes keeps crashing

iTunes keeps crashing
Sam I Am
Jan 17, 2002, 03:27 AM

Why I don't know...

It was playing fine this morning, I logged out and went to work. Came back launch it, but as soon as i pressed play, it quit and gave me the iTunes unexpectantly quit, no other applications have been effected... Tried again same thing, so i deleted iTunes and reinstalled it from the installer... It did the same thing, so i deleted the preferences the plists com.apple.blah.blah and I got it working for less than a second It's back to the same problem.. It just won't run... Has anyone had a similar experience?

SamIAm

PS what other mp3 players are out there for os x?

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2002, 08:26 AM

Audion.

Played with it in public beta, not since then. Looks way cooler than itunes, but I think you have to pay $20 for it which is why I would choose itunes. Does ogg vorbis though (i think)

check out Panic

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 10:37 AM

The current Audion cannot play files encoded by Ogg Vorbis RC3, which is what I use. I emailed about that and they said that they are working on it. For MP3 playing, however, it works great.

For playing Ogg Vorbis (RC3) files, I currently use Mint Audio, which also runs good. They are selling it for $7.00 the last time I checked.

Agent69
Agent69

Agent69
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2002, 10:39 AM

Oh, and both Audion and Mint Audio work in MacOS X and MacOS 9.

Agent69
Agent69

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 10:47 AM

A patch can be downloaded to play ogg files.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

tony.eastwood
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2002, 11:57 AM

Not sure if I am missing something here - and I may be wrong too - but if you have Sound Jam installed too there may be a conflict as, I am led to believe, iTunes and SoundJam share the same code. I think I read they are, in essence, the same programme...

Could this be the problem? Has anyone else heard/read this? Or have I dreamt it?

Just a thought... Try uninstalling SoundJam if you have it.

Sam I Am  (op)
Jan 17, 2002, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by tony.eastwood:
<STRONG>Not sure if I am missing something here - and I may be wrong too - but if you have Sound Jam installed too there may be a conflict as, I am led to believe, iTunes and SoundJam share the same code. I think I read they are, in essence, the same programme...

Could this be the problem? Has anyone else heard/read this? Or have I dreamt it?

Just a thought... Try uninstalling SoundJam if you have it.</STRONG>
It could be, because the last time I was in OS X i tried playing SJ in classic, it worked but as i'm on a G3 it cut out everytime the computer had to think... however during that same session iTunes worked as well... it wasn't until i rebooted that iTunes unexpectantly quit...

Anyways this is all a moot point now. I went and bought Mint Audio after playing with the demo... Only the second peice of shareware that i've ever bought (the other being EV Override)... It's that good...

MacEgo
Jan 17, 2002, 05:14 PM

A little off topic - but still.....Am I the only one that thinks Itunes sucks!!
It seems like everybody loves it - I can't even use it....I mean isn't a mp3player more than anything a way to organize the 1000s of songs on your harddisk...but itunes won't let u organize AT ALL ...U can make a ton of different playlists - but thats it.
The biggest problem is that you can't make Folders (like Soundjam which I love..)...so U can't have a playlist that consists of albums AND artists at the same time..In playlist mode you have to see each individual song which make long playlists - well very long.

Maybe I'm just missing something...but right now Itunes is the main reason why I'm not buying an Ipod - it's just not the program I want to keep track of 200+ albums.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MacEgo ]

Sam I Am  (op)
Jan 17, 2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by MacEgo:
<STRONG>A little off topic - but still.....Am I the only one that thinks Itunes sucks!!
It seems like everybody loves it - I can't even use it....I mean isn't a mp3player more than anything a way to organize the 1000s of songs on your harddisk...but itunes won't let u organize AT ALL ...U can make a ton of different playlists - but thats it.
The biggest problem is that you can't make Folders (like Soundjam which I love..)...so U can't have a playlist that consists of albums AND artists at the same time..In playlist mode you have to see each individual song which make long playlists - well very long.

Maybe I'm just missing something...but right now Itunes is the main reason why I'm not buying an Ipod - it's just not the program I want to keep track of 200+ albums.

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: MacEgo ]</STRONG>
I'm with you on that... I really would have liked it if SoundJam had continued on and made an OS X version... it was by far the best mp3 player/encoder out there... *sigh*

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2002, 08:54 PM

I guess people vary on their opinions greatly. I just think that iTunes organizesyour files nicely, and at the same time, it can rip and burn your music.

As Apple says, "Rip. Mix. Burn."
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules