Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Best & Stable browser?

Best & Stable browser?
Stan Jobson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 10:30 AM

I'm looking for the best and most stable browser for OS 9. I'm using 9.2.2 now and IE has always been...not that stable. How is Netscape, iCab, Mozilla, etc? I need something stable and fast...any suggestions?

Smokerz
Dec 12, 2001, 09:58 PM

try Netscape Communicator 479

trash all the AOL stuff(check the startup cdev, two extensions and a cmm), talk back folder and the beatnik plugins...give her lots of ram and enjoy.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 03:01 AM

Geez, how many times is this conversation gonna show up in these forum? It always starts with how Netscape is either good/crappy, goes to the merits of Internet Explorer, then a comparison of the two. Eventually someone brings up iCab and Opera and we get to hear about how iCab has so much potential but the wait has been too long for anything serious to develope. We hear about how Opera is fast but not complete enough. Finally someone will bring up Mozilla as the best, a ton of new posters chime in and agree.

I'll just save you the time and tell you to get Mozilla 5.0. End of story.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 13, 2001, 04:11 AM

I like Internet Explorer 5, because ... well, it works. It's not the most stable or fast browser, but it works with pretty much everything I throw at it.

Opera is shaping out to be very nice, too. It's fast and stable, but it doesn't render (poorly written for MSIE) HTML like it should. And the design could use a little ... modification. And it's not free. I'm not paying for a beta.

Netscape 6 and Mozilla are just too damned slow for me. A web browser shouldn't require a 500 MHz G4 and 128 MB of RAM just to render a web page within 30 seconds. And they crash constantly. But I blame that on Mac OS 9, it doesn't seem to like open-source programs. But, they render HTML good (other than the fugly Windows-style buttons in web pages) and are full-featured.

iCab was interesting 2 years ago, but it has been updated seldom, and the updates aren't that major. The last major update I can think of was the inclusion of a hack of Javascript. But, that may have changed by now. It's fast and not very needy, but it's just not powerful enough for me.

Everything else isn't even worth mentioning.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2001, 10:51 AM

IE 5 is stable for me. Its my favorite browser. My second would be Netscape 6.2. Its a little slow and sluggish but it has a nice interface. If you have a fast computer, it should be fine.

Cipher13
Dec 14, 2001, 05:42 AM

Mozilla... IE5... Netscape Communicator... take your pick from those three really.

Don't like iCab... Opera... meh.

Go CyberDog!!!

tinrib
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2001, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
<STRONG>Geez, how many times is this conversation gonna show up in these forum? It always starts with how Netscape is either good/crappy, goes to the merits of Internet Explorer, then a comparison of the two. Eventually someone brings up iCab and Opera and we get to hear about how iCab has so much potential but the wait has been too long for anything serious to develope. We hear about how Opera is fast but not complete enough. Finally someone will bring up Mozilla as the best, a ton of new posters chime in and agree.

I'll just save you the time and tell you to get Mozilla 5.0. End of story.</STRONG>
LOL

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2002, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by iNub:
<STRONG>iCab was interesting 2 years ago, but it has been updated seldom, and the updates aren't that major. The last major update I can think of was the inclusion of a hack of Javascript. But, that may have changed by now. It's fast and not very needy, but it's just not powerful enough for me.
</STRONG>
Agreed that iCab updates aren't coming out as quickly as one might like, but the last release is pretty darn good. Still a bit quirky on maybe 1% of the pages i load, but now has almost complete Javascript and CSS support. There's not too much missing at this point.

Powerful enough for me, fast and lean. Plus the look is customizable.

VRL
Senior User
Jan 14, 2002, 11:28 AM

Netscape 4.7x
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Mac-Guy
Jan 14, 2002, 04:31 PM

I, too, used to prefer Netscape--mostly because it wasn't from Msft. But now I find most Netscape browsers too big, too lumbering, too clunky. It's Java support is iffy at best. Opera works fine, but I'm not paying for a browser. Day in and day out I use IE5 with OS 9.04.

I'd try Mozilla if I had a clue how to go about trying it.

...my two farthings.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2002, 02:13 PM

iCab has come a long way - it's small and fast and works on every page I go to.

IE is too slow (and a Microsoft product - BTW what's with all the system extensions anyway) and Netscape is too buggy for me.

iCab was recently updated - all my plugins work and javascript works perfectly, give it a shot.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2002, 02:48 PM

So what if IE is a Microsoft product? It's the best browser available for OS X.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules