Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Repeal of Obamacare

Repeal of Obamacare (Page 17)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2017, 03:35 PM

How about some more sabotage?

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2017, 04:06 PM

He said it his first monologue after returning, that no baby should have to die because they don't have health insurance. May 1. He's too busy crying and thanking everyone at the hospitals to go into it more, posting a link to donate to the hospital... but he is clearer the next night.

https://youtu.be/MmWWoMcGmo0?t=10m25s

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 05:37 PM

No, that's not what I was talking about. I said, he didn't reveal he wasn't personally using the "benefits" of the ACA until much later. I'm fully aware the he cried on TV, trying to promote Obamacare. It's just too bad that it's virtually worthless to most and not nearly what he and others build it up to be.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
No, that's not what I was talking about. I said, he didn't reveal he wasn't personally using the "benefits" of the ACA until much later. I'm fully aware the he cried on TV, trying to promote Obamacare. It's just too bad that it's virtually worthless to most and not nearly what he and others build it up to be.

What is the right doing to improve it? Kimmel is simply trying to not make American healthcare worse.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2017, 06:47 PM

I don't know what you're saying besson, but if you're trying to talk to me you can save it. I'm not opening your blocked comments.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2017, 08:32 PM

I have no idea what you said Tightpants, I have you blocked.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2017, 09:27 AM

Trump ending CSR payments. That's not even sabotage. That's murder.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 13, 2017, 01:08 PM

And multiple states say they're going to sue. Trump can't change the law by executive order.

Trump claims the CSR payments are unconstitutional, hence how he can end them. But if my civics lessons are accurate, it is the courts that can declare a law unconstitutional, not the executive. Trump should have sued to overturn that part of the law, and asked the court to order suspension of payments.

Skipping those step will cause him to lose the case in my opinion. Lower courts practice "constitutional avoidance" where they leave Constitutional challenges to higher courts whenever procedural rules or precedence can resolve a case. And Trump short-circuited procedure, as well as usurped judicial authority. So I expect him to lose at lower courts, probably with a protective order reinstating the CSR payments. He can argue the constitutionality at circuit appeals courts or SCOTUS, but from a bad starting position.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2017, 01:31 PM

The GOP did sue that they were unconstitutional, but Trump stopping payments made that moot.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 13, 2017, 10:00 PM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2017, 03:53 PM

Trump stops CSRs and insurance rates get large hikes. You can't explain that!

reader50
Administrator
Oct 16, 2017, 04:03 PM

What's to explain? Trump improved health insurance for millions, just like he said. Improved their rates upwards.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 16, 2017, 04:06 PM

I'm mocking the very clear cause/effect that no doubt republicans will pretend doesn't exist.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2017, 02:26 PM

There seems to be a tentative deal to fund CSRs. Assuming leadership doesn't torpedo it and it passes, I assume it's too late for Pennsylvanians and Floridians facing massive premium hikes.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2017, 04:09 PM

Arizona’s “benchmark” plan already went up 116% earlier this year.
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 17, 2017, 07:02 PM

Pondering how this could be ****ed up while bored at the gym and figure Trump will say he'll sign it after tax 'reform' or some other months long process to come.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 19, 2017, 01:44 PM

Graham AND Cassidy are sponsoring the CSR bill, which is kind of ****ed. Also ****ed up - that piece of shit Heller isn't.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2017, 02:53 PM

https://www.propublica.org/article/d...-for-the-waste
In the early 1990s, Bill York recalled his bosses at Alcon coming to him with a pressing request. Patients were complaining that some of the company’s drops caused stinging and burning in their eyes. Could he find a fix?

York, head of the research lab at the company’s Fort Worth, Texas, headquarters, knew one way to ease the irritation: Make the drops smaller. The size of eyedrops isn’t regulated, he said recently. Some are over 50 microliters, more than twice what the eye can hold.
Back in the early 1990s, Jerry Cagle was the head of product development at Alcon. Cagle, who has a doctorate in microbiology, retired in 2008 after 32 years at the company. He said the microdrop project failed because it raised too many questions — all of them about profits.
So, what's the free market solution to this kind of thinking?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2017, 06:15 PM

And despite the Trump Administration's ongoing efforts to sabotage the ACA ...

A record number of people signed up for ObamaCare in the first few days of open enrollment this year compared to the same period in previous years, several sources close to the process told The Hill.

The surge in sign-ups, which was confirmed by an administration official, comes despite fears from Democrats that enrollment would fall off due to the Trump administration's cutbacks in outreach and advertising.

On the first day of enrollment alone, Nov. 1, one source close to the process told The Hill that more than 200,000 people selected a plan for 2018, compared to around 100,000 last year. More than 1 million people visited healthcare.gov that day, compared to around 750,000 last year, the source said.

It is still early in the process and it is unclear how the final sign-up numbers will come out. Sign-ups early in the enrollment season are often people renewing their coverage, not new enrollees.

Standard & Poor’s forecasted last week that enrollment could drop by as much as 1.6 million people below last year’s level of 12.2 million signups, in part due to uncertainty from the administration's actions.

The enrollment period is also about half as long this year, ending Dec. 15.

But the spike in sign-ups is some positive news for supporters of the health law who have been worrying about its fate under Republican control of Washington.

“The first few days of Open Enrollment for the Federal Health Insurance Exchange went smoothly," said a spokesperson for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees the health law. "The website performed optimally and consumers easily accessed enrollment tools to compare plans and prices."

Acting Health and Human Services Secretary Eric Hargan said in a speech last week that the administration wants the sign-up period to be "as consumer friendly as possible."

The administration cut the outreach budget by 90 percent and cut back on grants to outside groups called navigators that help people enroll.
ObamaCare signups surge in early days to set new record | TheHill.com

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 6, 2017, 06:28 PM

I think the overall numbers will still be lower. It'd almost be impossible for them not to be given the smaller signup window and higher rates.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2017, 07:04 PM

^^^

There is that.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 19, 2017, 11:16 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...re-unworkable?
"Arguably, doing away with the individual mandate makes the Affordable Care Act unworkable -- not that it was particularly great beforehand,” Cornyn said. “Hopefully this will precipitate the bipartisan negotiation on what we need to do as an alternative."
"We're sabotaging it and hoping Democrats have the conscience we lack."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2017, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
And despite the Trump Administration's ongoing efforts to sabotage the ACA ...

ObamaCare signups surge in early days to set new record | TheHill.com

OAW
Final tally is at 8.8 mil s 9.2 last year. That blows away my expectations. Very pleasantly surprised

Thorzdad
Dec 22, 2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Final tally is at 8.8 mil s 9.2 last year. That blows away my expectations. Very pleasantly surprised
Considering the sign-up period was halved, the budget for navigators was slashed, and the website purposely doctored to remove a lot of helpful info, the number is pretty amazing. I was one of the 8.8M.

But, regardless, you know Trump is going to use the slightly lower number as "proof" that Ocare is failing (or has completely failed).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2018, 09:43 PM

reader50
Administrator
Jan 11, 2018, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by the article
The document, revealed for the first time by POLITICO, shows that despite the chaos surrounding repeal, the administration had an elaborate plan to take apart the law using executive authority.
Recommended read.

It increasingly feels like a corrupt government. Steady attacks on services to ordinary people, FCC policy changes for the industry, lots of Russians hanging around, tax cuts for the rich, incompetent judicial appointments. This administration works hard.

Thorzdad
Jan 11, 2018, 12:14 AM

It’s as if the administration is trying to live up to damned near every negative stereotype of consevatism and Republicans out there.

OreoCookie
Jan 11, 2018, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
It’s as if the administration is trying to live up to damned near every negative stereotype of consevatism and Republicans out there.
Don't forget about the (formerly offensive) joke “In some states Republicans would vote for a child molester if he had an R next to his name!”
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2018, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
This administration works hard.
Except Trump who watches 8 hours of Fox News a day while stuffing his face with fast food. When he isn't playing golf that is.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2018, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Don't forget about the (formerly offensive) joke “In some states Republicans would vote for a child molester if he had an R next to his name!”
Formerly offensive or formerly a joke?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Jan 11, 2018, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Formerly offensive or formerly a joke?
The latter — if it is true, it can still hurt, can't it?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
The latter — if it is true, it can still hurt, can't it?
You'd hope. I'm not so sure.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 8, 2018, 04:26 PM

DOJ refusing to defend aspects of the law, including pre-existing conditions. Previously Trump supported this.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2018, 12:22 AM

Admin now suspending risk corridor payments.

Forum Links
Forum Rules