Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "The Superbowl was fixed" conspiracy thread

"The Superbowl was fixed" conspiracy thread
wolfen
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 01:52 PM

I wanted the Steelers to win. I'm a Steelers fan. I don't care for most things originating in Seattle.

NEVERTHELESS, the game was fixed. It was embarrassing how many calls were screwed up in favor of the Steelers. The hawks didn't impress much, but really, their score should have been doubled.

Just sayin'.

Anyone else here think the calls were suspect?
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 01:55 PM

The most BS call was when they gave Ben the TD. Theres no way the line judge saw that well enough to call it. Had the ruling on the field been no TD, it would have stood after review.

The other crap call was the pushoff in the endzone.

Theres a 14 point swing.

Imac Core Duo 1.83/1.5 GB/20 inch cinema, ibook G4 1 ghz

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2006, 01:59 PM

Yep. Calls seemed suspect.

And I make a better noise than the Rolling Stones... ...on my own (think cymbals strapped to legs and bass drum on back).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
The most BS call was when they gave Ben the TD. Theres no way the line judge saw that well enough to call it. Had the ruling on the field been no TD, it would have stood after review.

Theres a 14 point swing.
True on both counts. There was also a Steeler fumble that wasn't called a fumble at a critical moment. Holding (which happens virtually every play in the NFL) was called on the Hawks on pivotal plays, while the Steelers get to do all kinds of holding.

A sports writer pointed out (and I had forgotten) that NFL officials are not paid -- a ridiculous fact given that the NFL is one of the richest sports organizations in the world.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 02:21 PM

Uh, why would they even take the job if they're not paid? They must get some kind of compensation.

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Uh, why would they even take the job if they're not paid? They must get some kind of compensation.
Yes.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 02:40 PM

To which statement?

Monique
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 02:59 PM

How were the commercials? Would it be difficult nowadays to fix a game like the superbowl??

Ganesha
Senior User
Feb 6, 2006, 03:28 PM

The commercials were weak. In a closely matched game, all it takes is one key call to throw the game.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 03:39 PM

I don't think it was "FIXED" as many conspiracy theorists suspect. One of the reasons is bad calls WILL happen you still have to make plays. When your receiver is dropping a bunch of passes that doesn't help. If you look at the game that the Steelers played against the Colts. That was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. The steelers still over came it and won. That to me says that it's not how bad the officiating is but how well your team recovers from them.

The SeaHawks had PLENTY of chances to win the game. What about the clock management at the end of the first quarter? Was that also part of this supposed "fix?" What about the SeaHawks inablity to get better field position for the 2 field goals? Or The Steelers seeming in the first half not to start anywhere above the 20 yard line for almost the entire quarter if not the entire half? Where those also part of this "fix?"

Where they bad calls? Yes, Was the game fixed? No. Those who think it was need to stop drinking the Art Bell KoolAid.
( Last edited by typoon; Feb 6, 2006 at 04:35 PM. )
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
I don't think it was "FIXED" as many conspiracy theorists suspect. ONe of the reasons is firstly bad calls happen you still have to make plays. When your receiver is dropping a bunch of passes that doesn't help. If you look at the game that the Steelers played against the Colts. That was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. The steelers still over came it and won. That to me says that it's not how bad the officiating is but how well your team recovers from them.

The SeaHawks has PLENTY of chances to win the game. What about the clock management at the end of the first quarter? Was that also part of this supposed "fix?" What about the SeaHawks inablity to get better field position for the 2 field goals? Or The Steelers seeming in the first half not to start anywhere above the 20 yard line for almost the entire quarter? Where those also part of this "fix?"

Where they bad calls? Yes Was the game fixed? No. Those who think it was need to stop drinking the Art Bell KoolAid.

Also, re officials' compensation: IIRC they are compensated, but it is not a full-time gig. Most officials are very successful professionals who ref games on the side (or they are retired), so I don't think it would be easy to bribe them. One of them (can't remember his name, but he's an older white guy with gigantic biceps) the announcers always point out as being a partner in a major law firm somewhere.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Feb 6, 2006 at 05:03 PM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:38 PM

Yah the guys in dorm were complaining like crazy about half the calls that were being made. Several of them did seem a little silly.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:45 PM

Officials are compensated, although it is only like $25,000/year for a 1st year official. Like SpaceMonkey said, most (if not all) NFL officials have other full-time jobs and only officiate games because they enjoy it - not as a way to make a living.

GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2006, 05:15 PM

in fact the officials for the Super Bowl are well compensated. Heard an interview just last Friday regarding this . . . EACH member of the officials team get $25K for the Super Bowl from the NFL.

-Gfitzy

finboy
Feb 6, 2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by typoon
I don't think it was "FIXED" as many conspiracy theorists suspect. One of the reasons is bad calls WILL happen you still have to make plays.
[tinfoil hat]
Consider this: the Vegas spread was 4 points. Look at how long that was the actual margin in the game. Also, note that 4 points was the margin at halftime, when folks are still taking and hedging bets.

This would also explain the poor clock management on both teams' parts. Like, the poorest I can remember.

Looks fishy to me.
[/tinfoil hat]

Now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress. Do NOT look behind the curtain.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 05:55 PM

The most BS call was when they gave Ben the TD. Theres no way the line judge saw that well enough to call it.
Absoloutly. I rooted for the Steelers in the game but even so I don't agree with that being a TD. I don't like it when the team I root for in any game wins with the help of the officials - as was pretty obvious in this game IMO - I want to see my team win because they're better. I like it when they manage a TD that they are awarded a TD and not when they didn't actually make a TD.

Either way I'm no fan of either team, but of the two I like the Steelers better. I would have liked to see the Colts in the Superbowl.

Also it is always as cheesy when the winning team is declared the World Champion.

Yeah, as if the entire world is represented in the NFL.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 06:16 PM

Theres a 14 point swing.

I don't agree. Regardless of weather Roethlisberger did or did not break the plane of the goal line, it was only the 2nd down and Pittsburgh was sitting on the goal line. Everyone seems to forget that Pittsburgh still had two shots at a goal sitting on the 1 yard line... or at worst, 3 points. You are assuming Pittsburgh wouldn't have gotten the 1 yard... in 2 attempts or kicked for the three.

The push off was just bad luck. The person probably would have gotten away with it had the official not have been 5 yards away looking in that direction. It was a clear push off... and it is a penalty. Bad officiating or bad luck?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2006, 06:18 PM

You wanna seee fixed games? How about Dallas v Sharks in 2001, last game for the Stanley Cup playoffs. Argh!!! I still can't stand it. I hate Dallas with a passion, those friggin' bastards. Even though the Aves were awesome that season and probably woulda won anyway, I still think the Sharks deserved their chance at the Cup. Pisses me off.

Sharks up 2 goals. Dallas scores a VERY controversal goal. The guy was CLEARLY offsides, but wasn't called. They got the score anyway. So Sharks up 1 goal. Then shortly after, Dallas's goalie SHOULDA been penalized for hooking. But... naaaah. Only 2 minutes left in the 3rd period, what could happen? We'll just let the period play out. Sharks don't need a power play. Dallas scores in the 2 minutes Sharks shoulda had the power play!

Overtime: Dallas gets ANOTHER penalty, but the ref denies it AGAIN and tells them to play the game through!!! (even the commentators are going nuts, wondering what the hell these refs are doing?! One guy goes off on how they need a new rule so that ammature refs aren't doing playoff games.) So then they face off after the wistel. Ricci and some bloak, ref drops the puck but it doesn't even hit the ice. It BOUNCES OFF THE SHAFT OF RICCI'S STICK. Ricci pulls back expecting them to redo the faceoff, but the Ref tells them to play it through (one of the commentators yells out "You've got be kidding! Look at the replay!") At that point Dallas has the puck of course and scores shortly after, winning the game and going to the Cup.

That had to be one of the WORST games EVER. I'll hate Dallas forever.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen

Anyone else here think the calls were suspect?

yes there were some shitty calls but that doesnt mean the game was fixed - seattle did plenty to help lose that game.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
yes there were some shitty calls but that doesnt mean the game was fixed - seattle did plenty to help lose that game.
Yes, but this is a conspiracy thread.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 06:50 PM

seattle did plenty to help lose that game.
They must have been in on the conspiracy too!

This goes deeper than I thought....
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 08:18 PM

The point though is had the RIGHT calls been made they DID do enough to win the game. On another note. I agree it wasn't fixed, just a poorly officiated game. Nothing more.

teney7
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2006, 08:24 PM

Right on, excalibur... the NFL doesn't fix games, that's just another way to pass the blame for losing
Switched 7/7/05
12'' PowerBook G4 with AirPort Express, still goin' strong

wolfen  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by teney7
Right on, excalibur... the NFL doesn't fix games,
Are you asserting that the only possible agent for game-fixing here would be the NFL? How about the State of Nevada, XYZ crime family, or any Richy Rich that wants to be richer? The ground is fertile with potential handlers.

I mean, a real conspiracy thread can't hinge on just on just one possible villain. That's crazy talk.

far200
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 09:03 PM

Well there was some missed calls but the seahawks didn't play well enough to win anyways...... this super bowl was a yawner........ not much excitement this year...... the semi finals where better than the super bowl..........

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 6, 2006, 10:59 PM

Frankly I think that MOST games are full of bad calls. In spite of all the technology available to them, refs, umps and judges have to say they're still in charge, and one way they do that is by making some pretty "out there" calls. Further, rather than say "Maybe I'd better see what the cameras saw," they depend on their own powers of observation-they don't even confer with each other very often.

In any other knowledge-based profession, this would be malpractice. In sports officaldom, it's more "ensuring job security."

Conspiracy? Probably not. Bad refereeing? Most likely. Gonna keep happening? You Betcha!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I don't agree. Regardless of weather Roethlisberger did or did not break the plane of the goal line, it was only the 2nd down and Pittsburgh was sitting on the goal line. Everyone seems to forget that Pittsburgh still had two shots at a goal sitting on the 1 yard line... or at worst, 3 points. You are assuming Pittsburgh wouldn't have gotten the 1 yard... in 2 attempts or kicked for the three.

The push off was just bad luck. The person probably would have gotten away with it had the official not have been 5 yards away looking in that direction. It was a clear push off... and it is a penalty. Bad officiating or bad luck?
It was 3rd down. Bettis ran the first two attempts.

I also liked the supposed incomplete pass where Stevens caught the ball, made his turn took a step, got hit and lost the ball. It rolled towards the Seahawks endzone and went out of bounce. Should have been a completion and a fumble.

And who can forget immediately after the holding call on the pass play that gets the hawks to the 1 yard line. Then on the next a play, an interception. On the interception, Hasselback is called for blocking below the waist during the tackle, which he made!

I don't really believe it was a conspiracy, I just think it was terrible officiating. This is not the best crew or head ref in the NFL. The entire playoffs was a jumbled up crappy mess in regards to officiating. Something needs to change. Like maybe full time refs.

And oh yeah, I thought for a moment they weren't going to overturn the fumble. They took a commercial break and when they came back, the review was still underway. Crikey. What a bunch of buffoons.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by finboy
[tinfoil hat]
Consider this: the Vegas spread was 4 points. Look at how long that was the actual margin in the game. Also, note that 4 points was the margin at halftime, when folks are still taking and hedging bets.

This would also explain the poor clock management on both teams' parts. Like, the poorest I can remember.

Looks fishy to me.
[/tinfoil hat]

Now back to our regularly scheduled program, already in progress. Do NOT look behind the curtain.
If that is the case how do you explain the bad clock management at the end of the game by the seahawks? I think the 4 points was more to the due more to the Defenses and poor game play by both teams more than a conspiracy.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
It was 3rd down. Bettis ran the first two attempts.
Sorry, you are correct, it was 3rd down... regardless, I feel everyone simply thinks "oh, well take 7 points off there" when in reality, it most likely would have turned into 3 points or 7 points. Even with modern technology (a camera pointed directly at the football) we couldn't conclusively tell one way or the other.

I'm not sure about the poor officiating... they faced some very difficult calls IMHO. I think the calls simply favored Pittsburgh... but I don't feel it was a conspiracy.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey

Also, re officials' compensation: IIRC they are compensated, but it is not a full-time gig. Most officials are very successful professionals who ref games on the side (or they are retired), so I don't think it would be easy to bribe them. One of them (can't remember his name, but he's an older white guy with gigantic biceps) the announcers always point out as being a partner in a major law firm somewhere.
A lawyer? That explains a lot.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Feb 7, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
I also liked the supposed incomplete pass where Stevens caught the ball, made his turn took a step, got hit and lost the ball. It rolled towards the Seahawks endzone and went out of bounce. Should have been a completion and a fumble.

Absolutely. Stevens made at least two "football moves", the turn and the step forward. Making a football move with the ball secured is the basis of determining a completion. That ball should've been called a fumble.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
I don't agree. Regardless of weather Roethlisberger did or did not break the plane of the goal line...
What hasn't been mentioned is the fact that the ref called it a down ball initially. As he ran up to the ball, after it was down, Big Ben skillfully brought the ball forward..over the goal line. The ref reached the scene, saw that the ball was over the goal line (apparenty lacking the sense to think that Ben coulda moved it after he was tackled) and changed his mind, calling it a touchdown.

The ref was duped. he bought it. If he had stuck to his original call that would have been upheld as well. Big Ben won the game with a Pop Warner move

...still doubt it was fixed but I'd say its 80/20 at best. It certainly appeared that the fix was in...but I agree with the poster above..the Seahawks still could have overcome the bad calls..they threw it away in the end.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2006, 08:14 AM

Bad reffing doesn't mean it's fixed. A fix would only occur in connection with the betting line.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
Bad reffing doesn't mean it's fixed. A fix would only occur in connection with the betting line.
That't why some say it was because of the point spread after the first half.

Forum Links
Forum Rules