Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > SLI'd Graphics

SLI'd Graphics
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 06:00 PM

How much of a performance increase could I see in games with another graphics card?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 06:07 PM

Macs don't support SLI currently. Not sure about Crossfire though (under BootCamp of course).

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 06:40 PM

I'm talking about for my PC.

While I'm at it...
I've got a new case for my PC (It was free) and it has a temperature gage on the front. Its working, but it says my processor is running at 180ish˚. Is that normal? Is it hot? Or is the temperature reader maybe not working? As far as performance goes, I've never had a problem.
The processor is my sigged one, 3.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Also, just to brag, I got another 2 GB's of memory, and I've got it running now at full settings (except for Object Quality, couldn't change that in game) and 2x AA, but only at 800 x 600 resolution. It looks REALLY nice.

(And as you can tell, I'm in to upgrading my PC a bit.)
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Jan 28, 2008 at 07:09 PM. )

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 05:14 AM

Ahh, I assumed you were referring to a Mac.

So, to answer your question, it really depends on the game. Some games see nearly double the performance with SLI while some games actually perform slightly worse due to the additional overhead of SLI.

180 degrees F for a CPU is extremely hot. Chances are that's incorrect... check the CPU temperature in your BIOS to verify.

Also, keep in mind you'll need an Nvidia chipset (with SLI support of course) to run an SLI configuration. Crossfire, on the other hand, works on pretty much any Intel or AMD chipset with 2 PCIe x16 slots.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2008, 10:59 AM

Alright, well I'm talking about newer ones, namely Crysis, Gears of War, UT3, and so on. They're the only ones I can't play at full quality. I can get another 8600 GTS for $90, and it comes with Company of Heroes, so I figured I'd try it out.

Do more games perform better or worse with SLI? Would it be worth it? Is it safe to assume that all newer games would see an increase with SLI, while older ones would see the hit in performance, or is it just random?

Alright, I'll check BIOS, thanks. I figured that was hot. EDIT- It was. I had the temperature reader in the wrong spot. Also, I realized I should have probably put this in the Consumer Hardware Components section.

I do have an Nvidia chipset that fully supports SLI.

Sorry for the list of questions, and thanks for your help.

Actually, two more questions...

Would I be able to easily turn on and off the extra graphics card from within the operating system so there would be no performance hit on those certain games?
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Jan 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: More questions...)

Forum Links
Forum Rules