Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > buy an iphone now or wait 6 months

buy an iphone now or wait 6 months
rogermugs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 05:58 AM

I'm planning a new iphone next week.

I sold an old windows mobile HTC Hermes (TYTN) to upgrade....

my wife and mac-freak friend keep trying to convince to wait till version 2. but i live in china and 3g doesn't exist so evdo is the way to go (recently released in my city)....

I'm thinking even if the 3g version comes in the near future the hardware may be a little fancier update but i'm not expecting a fullfledged overhaul.
my thoughts being if they're just now coming out with the sdk (or will be here soon eh)... then the new iphone cant be a substantial OS revamp can it?

I say buy now. I frankly need the smartphone to keep me organized... i cant believe how useless i've been for 3 weeks since I sold the old one...

next week or hold out till june/july... my phone now is worthless... and i think its worth the 6 months of happiness...
thoughts?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2008, 10:48 AM

Up to you, but I'm not buying now.

P.S. EVDO is a form of 3G.

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2008, 07:55 PM

Are you waiting for the 3G model? I've been holding out, but with no real sign of the 3G, my resistance is wavering.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 10:10 PM

I was under the impression that EVDO was 2.5g.... either way... its slower than most* 3g.... and china is going to jump right to their own homebrewed 4g if i'm reading things right...

TravisReynolds
Mar 3, 2008, 11:00 PM

buy it now. I have an iPhone and it's already amazing. Yeah I know there going to get better but right now this is all I need. I have no problems with it. If i do decided to upgrade I can just sell my iPhone and pay an extra 100 bucks
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2008, 02:08 PM

From your post, it seems as if you're sold on it now. As with any technology, you can always look over the horizon for the "bigger and better" product. I think now is as good a time as any to get an iPhone, and as a poster above said, IF you really ever decide you NEED 3G (I doubt it'll even be that important, EDGE is fine for me for the quick uses when I'm not around wifi) you can just sell your phone for a pretty high value and get the new one for a small difference.

I vote for get it now, I love my phone and couldn't imagine going back to a regular one.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 07:39 PM

i'm leaning more and more that way... i just fear that with 3g will come like 1billion new enhancements... but i keep tryting to tell myself that it will be a 3g update and that is all... the os/software should stay basically the same... but i dont know if thats true at all.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2008, 04:44 AM

I'm really split on this issue. UMTS does exist here so waiting for the 3G iPhone sounds interesting. If you plan on getting a new phone in a month from now, the question is if you should be w/o one for another month or so or if it's not worth the wait. If I new the 3G iPhone would be here by May 15 I could justify the wait, but there is no such guarantee. If in the end it's July or August I'm not so sure that wait will be justified. The problem with the waiting game is that once you start waiting, you'll never stop.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 5, 2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The problem with the waiting game is that once you start waiting, you'll never stop.
Here here to that.

or is it hear hear?

Jammyn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2008, 08:14 PM

I am going to wait. I tested the iPhone when it first came out at an Apple store, and the volume and slow edge network were deal breakers for me. I have read that volume is still very much an issue, so hopefully Apple will have fixed that problem with the second gen phone.

Jammyn

Sn1PeR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 07:41 PM

After todays news, SDK in late June, I would wait.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2008, 07:55 PM

If I were you I would wait. Then again, its only been promised there would be a new "3G" iphone in 2008--not necessarily the summer. Apple has been known to keep its fans waiting.

njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2008, 08:05 PM

One thing to consider is that, with the increased functionality of the next-gen iphone will probably also come increased monthly charges. (Of course, if you plan on unlocking the thing, that may not matter.) I personally am waiting for the next-gen iphone, but not for the 3G (I don't care about that), but rather for the gps. If there is no gps in the next iphone, then I'll go with the n95 or something along those lines.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 03:57 AM

in light of todays announcements i have to admit that i am a little more hesitant to buy...

they did say Iphone software version 2... which sounds like the old ones might be updated... but a cisco client is definitely a BIG BIG BIG plus for me.

now i dont know what to do... i imagine I'll still cave and buy

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
... but a cisco client is definitely a BIG BIG BIG plus for me.
I'm clueless about what practical differences "a cisco client" might bring.
[ other than allowing "swiping if loss/stolen" ]

Anybody help out?
( Last edited by Love Calm Quiet; Mar 7, 2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: expand)
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 07:49 AM

If you need a mobile-phone & you like the iPhone & your need is urgent then by all means do, If your waiting for the 2nd gen iPhone I think this will be towards the end of 2008 since logically giving more time to the original iPhone to
hit it's target sales.

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Love Calm Quiet View Post
I'm clueless about what practical differences "a cisco client" might bring.
[ other than allowing "swiping if loss/stolen" ]
my company requires a cisco client to be able to check my emial... also some serious security software.... not all VPN clients are equal... and even those that are equal aren't always compatible.

qkslvr
Mar 7, 2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by njuyhb View Post
One thing to consider is that, with the increased functionality of the next-gen iphone will probably also come increased monthly charges. (Of course, if you plan on unlocking the thing, that may not matter.) I personally am waiting for the next-gen iphone, but not for the 3G (I don't care about that), but rather for the gps. If there is no gps in the next iphone, then I'll go with the n95 or something along those lines.
My feelings exactly. And this makes things look promising.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2008, 12:27 PM

Am I the only one that noticed June is only 3 months away, not 6?

Three months isn't too bad to wait if you're waiting on something you couldn't live without, but the iPhone truly is awesome and I don't regret one penny I spent on it back in July.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 03:58 AM

So did I miss something or is it just a guess that iPhone software 2.0 will coincide with iPhone 2.0?

giggs11
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So did I miss something or is it just a guess that iPhone software 2.0 will coincide with iPhone 2.0?
Sort of everyone's educated guess. Jobs and AT&T's Randall Stephenson have said there will be a 3G iPhone this year, several analysts have predicted a Q2 release, and June for the SDK. It all sort of comes together nicely.

zilla3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2008, 07:52 PM

has anyone had any experience with att giving an account credit, however nominal, for having to pay an ETF to leave another carrier? thanks

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2008, 04:33 AM

well just to let yall know, i folded, yesterday walked into the apple store and walked out with a new 8gb beauty with which I am now using to write this post. And I must say she is everything I wanted and more. I'm stinkin glad I didn't wait one day longer

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
well just to let yall know, i folded, yesterday walked into the apple store and walked out with a new 8gb beauty with which I am now using to write this post. And I must say she is everything I wanted and more. I'm stinkin glad I didn't wait one day longer
Good for you! You'll love it...

njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 04:24 PM

I'm holding out.... hoping for gps and video capture... must... hold... out... a... little... longer...

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2008, 12:37 PM

@njuyhb

if only you knew what you were missing... beauty... blooming breath taking beauty....// <- insert over the top excitment here

wolfen
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by njuyhb View Post
I'm holding out.... hoping for gps and video capture... must... hold... out... a... little... longer...
"Stay on target!"

I'm interested but waiting.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2008, 12:47 PM

I was waiting till June for SDK, enterprise, and hopefully GPS and video recording, but I picked up a $250 refurb 8GB off AT&T's website. At that price, I the upgrade path in June shouldn't be painful at all. I'm guessing I'll be able to get at least $200 for it then.

ImpulseResponse

njuyhb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
I was waiting till June for SDK, enterprise, and hopefully GPS and video recording, but I picked up a $250 refurb 8GB off AT&T's website. At that price, I the upgrade path in June shouldn't be painful at all. I'm guessing I'll be able to get at least $200 for it then.
But, you'll still have to pay an early termination fee with AT&T. I don't think they'll let you move your contract to another phone, or will they?

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2008, 07:41 PM

Since there's no subsidy with iPhone, you can buy the new version in June without any penalty, but you'll have to extend your contract to two years out (so until June 2010).

I'm going to unlock mine and use it on T-Mobile anyway, so it won't be an issue.

ImpulseResponse

rogermugs  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2008, 08:18 PM

unlock. Really the only way to live. Freedom from AT&T that is. Ah yes life can be beautiful and it begins and ends with your life on an iPhone.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2008, 10:12 AM

I got tired of waiting...and since my old phone started acting weird, that was the perfect excuse
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by GSixZero View Post
Since there's no subsidy with iPhone, you can buy the new version in June without any penalty, but you'll have to extend your contract to two years out (so until June 2010).

I'm going to unlock mine and use it on T-Mobile anyway, so it won't be an issue.
So, if you're one year into a contract with AT&T with the iphone plan and want to upgrade to a new model your contract starts over at that point? If I understand what you're saying correctly and that's true I would certainly call that a penalty--a racket actually. Any time I am willing to pay an unsubsidized price for a phone with my current carrier it doesn effect the length of the plan at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules