Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > NEW iPod Nano 4G - Discuss

NEW iPod Nano 4G - Discuss
klb5090
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 02:12 PM

iPod Nano 4G

TUAW -
The rumors were true on this one, too -- there's a new iPod nano in town, and it's sporting that long, thin, somewhat rounded design that we've seen early on. There's a new widescreen that can be turned horizontally (thanks to a new built-in accelerometer, you can also "shake to shuffle"), and in that mode, it offers a Coverflow-style interface. Features like a stopwatch and even a Voice Recorder (with mic, presumably purchased separately) are available, and the battery life has been slightly updated: you can have 24 hours of music, or four hours of video.

DISCUSS

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 02:19 PM

I hope to god you can orient it both ways. Screen left doesn't appeal to me.

outaru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2008, 02:20 PM

Another Great iPod update...

too bad i was expecting iphone firmware and more...

here's some photo's taken by B.Lam of Gimodo

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 02:39 PM

I just want to know if Apple will make the Nike+ app available to iPhone users.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 02:45 PM

Ok, discuss...

Alright then. Done.

Seriously. These look decent, but are a complete snoozer. Priced pretty well though, but for a little more the touch is a lot more appealing.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2008, 03:11 PM

Excited for this, but I have no idea why Apple made a whole press conference for these updates. I was seriously expecting a "one more thing," like new features of 2.1, GPS, something! They didn't even mention the push notification, which makes me wonder if that's going to be ready for 2.1 friday or in a separate update later in september.

Not that I'm not excited about the products--- I think they're all great enhancements, and keeps the iPod so far out in front of the competition it's not even funny.

All I know is I would have been pissed if I was a journalist that flew out to that keynote to see Jobs talk for 50 minutes about something that could have been updated with no conference. And then maybe AAPL shares wouldn't be taking either...

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 03:18 PM

The new Nano's are nice but since I have an iPhone I will never buy another iPod product again.

I am really disappointed 2.1 doesn't have the app push they promised and I get the feeling it might not make september.

Geofries
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2008, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The new Nano's are nice but since I have an iPhone I will never buy another iPod product again.

I am really disappointed 2.1 doesn't have the app push they promised and I get the feeling it might not make september.
Me too. *sigh*

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2008, 03:30 PM

Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic $79
Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic $29

Don't know if recording though a Microphone was possible in older versions
if the MIC addition is new it will be finally possible to record notes

The new iPod nano is great

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I just want to know if Apple will make the Nike+ app available to iPhone users.
I don't think it will since the Nike+ sensor is built into the new iPod touch, and currently unsupported on the iPhone. They could make the sensor work with the iPhone, and then it would be neat to have the app.

I use a 2g iPod nano when I jog (with the Nike+ system) and I really like the look of these nanos. I have no need for one, but I think I may get one since they're pretty cool.

uprisingpure
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2008, 04:16 PM

I think it is a great design. Makes me wonder why they ever made the fatty though. When they lined the previous models up next to the new 4G it looks like they just gave up last year or felt like even though they had nothing still had to bring something out.

I was pretty disappointed that the keynote didn't have a "one more thing" or at least something a little better included (new macbooks )

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 04:53 PM

Love the new design of the Nanos. Love how thin they are getting. Lots of colors to choose from. Overall, a thumbs up from me for the new Nano.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 06:30 PM

Terrible terrible screen, set up to maximize your chance of getting glare.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Terrible terrible screen, set up to maximize your chance of getting glare.
It's a clever way of leaving the door open for next year's "revision."

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 07:41 PM

Will the old iPod games run on it?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2008, 08:16 PM

Doubtful. I like the update, but I have no reason to own a nano, especially now. I am a big fan of the colors though.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 08:38 PM

Anyone else notice the price drop of the shuffles?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
Anyone else notice the price drop of the shuffles?
You mean the $10 drop on the 2gb one ?

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2008, 11:09 PM

I think they should've discontinued the 1GB shuffle.

LOVE the new Nano. Wish they'd shaved a cm or so off the height.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2008, 11:09 PM

The new orange model is a thing of beauty. I will purchase and use Nike+ with it immediately.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2008, 11:15 PM

I know this is sad, but I like the yellow one so much that I'm giving my iPhone to my mom and getting a nano. Plus I'm kinda over having to "touch my music." After the inital excitement wears off, it becomes a bit cumbersome.
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 08:14 AM

I am getting rid of my Touch and going with a Nano. Tired of driving and not being able to change songs easily.. Nice refresh.
Joe

moep
Senior User
Sep 10, 2008, 09:41 AM

iPods are completely dead to me.

It’s just a shame that Apple decided to make Nike+ iPod exclusive. I’m definitely not going to buy an iPod in addition to my iPhone just because of Nike+ although that is probably what Apple is trying to accomplish.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 10:01 AM

So do Apple retail stores have these bad boys in stock? Just curious if any one has bought one yet..
Joe

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 11:13 AM

To answer my own question, they do. I am stopping by and picking one up over lunch...
Joe

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 01:36 PM

Picked up a red one over lunch and it is very nice. Super thin, large display, very responsive. No idea on sound quality since my mac is at home, but I'll sync it up this evening,

10/10 in my opinion.
Joe

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by stwain2003 View Post
I know this is sad, but I like the yellow one so much that I'm giving my iPhone to my mom and getting a nano.
You're gonna look strange holding your nano to your ear and having a conversation.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook867 View Post
Picked up a red one over lunch and it is very nice. Super thin, large display, very responsive. No idea on sound quality since my mac is at home, but I'll sync it up this evening,

10/10 in my opinion.
8 or 16gb? And which city/store?

nash1017
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2008, 02:19 PM

The new nano is growing on me. I love the new colors. I already have an iPhone so I don't know if I'll pick one up.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2008, 02:37 PM

I am in Kansas City. They had 8Gb all colors in stock and some 16Gb, but I didn't ask.. (I don't carry my whole library with me). Was going to get an orange, but it looked more rust colored when I got to see it in person. Ended up getting a red that looks great w/ the brushed aluminum.
Joe

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 02:44 PM

Going this evening to pick one up, hopefully 16gb. I have a 2G iPhone, but I'm just tired of "touching my music", as I think someone else said. I want a clickwheel iPod again.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2008, 06:13 PM

no 16gbs in Seattle

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2008, 09:49 PM

No 16gb in Indianapolis either. Ended up with a yellow 8gb. Very nice...

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 11, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook867 View Post
I am in Kansas City. They had 8Gb all colors in stock and some 16Gb, but I didn't ask.. (I don't carry my whole library with me). Was going to get an orange, but it looked more rust colored when I got to see it in person. Ended up getting a red that looks great w/ the brushed aluminum.
Hmm, rust? Really? All the photos I've seen on-line look more orange than the orange shuffle was back in the day....hmmm.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2008, 11:41 PM

hmm, i dropped by my local apple store, and had a look. i was pretty impressed. the new graphical style of the nano looks ... very attractive to me. it's a little zunish, compared to the white screen i'm so used to, but it looks very polished. i hated the idea of a curved screen but somehow that screen looked amazing.

i wasn't a fan of the screen size (into the touch more than the nano now) but it was super contrasty and slick. i dont know if it's the screen calibration, or if it's a glass "crystal - if it were a watch" instead of plastic, but it seemed so .. good. it had amazingly good contrast. i wonder if the colors are better than the 3g ... (or maybe my 1g nano's are just scratched to heck, making it seem less contrasty)...

in any case, i like it a lot, and the navigation is still quite a bit ahead of the flash zune.

i wish the new nano's had fm. or both am and fm reception. while it may seem useless to many, my gym's show tv shows on flatscreens, and they broadcast the sound over fm frequencies. being able to listen to family guy without having to use my cellphone or my radio player would be awesome. as for am reception, i listen to a lot of talk radio and it's so sad that it's being ignored by electronics makers nowadays.

cheers!

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 02:31 AM

I want the whole damn spectrum.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2008, 03:09 AM

I played with one at the Apple Store in San Francisco today.

It can indeed be oriented both ways (Ooh! Sounds kinky!) A second or so after you hold it either on its left side or right side, the image goes right-side up. It will not, however, play video "straight up" - i.e. it will only be displayed so you have to turn it on its side to watch.

Another positive thing is that they've built in speech, so the menu and song titles can actually be spoken to you through the earphones. Why is this a great feature? It finally makes the iPod a practical device for the blind; who should love it. It was turned on on one of the units I tested and worked almost flawlessly (the only hiccup was speaking XII (as in twelve) as "x two". But overall it worked great - I don't know why Apple isn't touting this more, as the blind are a great market for iPods (Audiobooks? Podcasts? Hell yeah!).

I hope you can turn off shake to shuffle. I normally walk around with my iPod in one hand and kinda swing my arms as I walk, so I'm sort of afraid I'd be accidentally shuffling every few seconds. It'd be worse if I was a jogger and had my iPod on an armband. As I never use shuffle on my iPod anyway, I'd probably be happier turning it off. It worked great when I tried it though.

The screen looked nice, and has good resolution, but the curvature of the device made it somewhat reminiscent of my old Philco TV set. Who does non-flat screens anymore?

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2008, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
I hope you can turn off shake to shuffle. I normally walk around with my iPod in one hand and kinda swing my arms as I walk, so I'm sort of afraid I'd be accidentally shuffling every few seconds. It'd be worse if I was a jogger and had my iPod on an armband. As I never use shuffle on my iPod anyway, I'd probably be happier turning it off. It worked great when I tried it though.
You can turn it off in the settings, but I've found it to be a lot less sensitive than I thought it would be. I can only get it to shuffle about half of the time when I'm actually trying to shake it. No problem with accidental inputs.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nergol View Post

Another positive thing is that they've built in speech, so the menu and song titles can actually be spoken to you through the earphones. Why is this a great feature? It finally makes the iPod a practical device for the blind; who should love it. It was turned on on one of the units I tested and worked almost flawlessly (the only hiccup was speaking XII (as in twelve) as "x two". But overall it worked great - I don't know why Apple isn't touting this more, as the blind are a great market for iPods (Audiobooks? Podcasts? Hell yeah!).
Wow! I hadn't heard this. My (visually impaired) wife has worked through the difficulties of using her shiny white 5g ipod for several years.

This may make it upgrade time.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 13, 2008, 09:44 AM

Orange purchased last night....my gosh, I LOVE IT!

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2008, 05:22 PM

Okay, the wife's 20 (I thought it was 5 gig) gig ipod finallly died. In looking at prices and reviews on these new nanos, I've seen quite a few negative comments, particularly regarding the accelerometer activating album view. Would this complicate her ability to operate the ipod sightlessly?

Also has anyone tried out the speech navigation feature. Laat time we hit an Apple store, the new models there didn't have the feature installed, according to the Mac kid there. He said it would be a software update. True?
( Last edited by quesera; Nov 1, 2008 at 05:42 PM. )

Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2008, 07:57 PM

It is something you need to activate in iTunes, so out of the box, it won't have spoken menus on it. A checkbox in the iPod sync settings in iTunes does it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2008, 06:43 PM

I have to say: I prefer the fatty.

dustrho
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2008, 11:12 PM

I'm looking to buy a new iPod and have been giving some thoughts to this Nano, but I've been hearing some people complaint about the sharp corners on this. Are they really sharp or pointy enough to cause discomfort if carried around in your pocket?

Chris Rhoads / Forum Admin & Webmaster of Sandtroopers.com

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I have to say: I prefer the fatty.
I have to say: I completely disagree.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules