Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook 2 color poll:

iBook 2 color poll:
OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
May 8, 2001, 10:13 PM

What color(s) do you want to see the new iBook in? And do you think that Apple will offer the new iBook in colors?

I'd like to see it in a bad-ass black, a deep, deep blue, and forest green (sage).

Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will offer it in colors. I think the reason for all of the iBooks coming in the same speed and color is that it cuts down on manufacturing costs. Apple got the price down on that iBook, and to do so they had to cut a few corners. But I would rather have a cheaper iBook than a choice of color..white is nice, real nice. But damn, a black iBook sure would look bad-ass!

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

geek77
May 8, 2001, 11:57 PM

what'd I want to know is this....

Is the outer shell that is held on by four hex screws clear, with the white being below it, or is the outer shell white? If it's clear, it could be removed and painted from the inside. If it's white, we're kinda stuck with it (unless you paint the outside, but that would chip/scratch).

Anyone know? I can't tell from the photos.

cheerios
Professional Poster
May 9, 2001, 12:22 AM

I like the color it is now, but if I got choices for colors, i'd want like a silver/grey, a dark green dark blue, and maybe red. I like the fact they've made it look more professional. I don't think I'd want to be seen with an old key lime iBook, on campus, but I'm gonna get a new one for next year!

------------------

...it's only life after all!
--Indigo Girls
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Gaskell
May 9, 2001, 12:56 AM

geek77, I just got mine today, the outer shell is milky while. not clear, but not quite solid either.

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2001, 03:40 AM

"Midnite Blue" Yum

That's what I'd be most interested in.

DDJ

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2001, 04:00 AM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:
What color(s) do you want to see the new iBook in? And do you think that Apple will offer the new iBook in colors?

But damn, a black iBook sure would look bad-ass!

[This message has been edited by Milo Waye (edited 05-09-2001).]

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2001, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by Milo Waye:
Agreed on that black. I like the nice price too. But I think they'll get around to colors eventually. Why not car colors? Black, Alpine White, (Desert Sand). Yellow like Don Johnson's Nash Bridges ride. Mercedes Silver Smoke. BMW Anthracite. The burnt orange Palo Colorado on the venerable 2002.

[This message has been edited by Milo Waye (edited 05-09-2001).]

theiliad
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2001, 06:01 AM

Well it does seem pretty obvious with the "color A" thing that there are going to be more colours....Probably at MWNY..I'm hoping for a Graphite - esque version...mmmmmmmm

theiliad...

iEasyPOD - The easiest way to convert all your videos for the iPod

swiss cheeeese
May 9, 2001, 06:38 AM

I'd like also black (the inside still could be that silver-grey), with a red apple logo on the lid, or graphite.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2001, 09:53 AM

My favorite iMac colors have been Sage and Indigo. I think these would look great on the new iBook. For some reson I've never been a fan of graphite consumer Macs, although it is definetely the color of pros!

The color of the iBook should beg for attention and admiration... Like "OOoohh! Look at that color! - Who is that guy with the cool laptop???" etc.

Ohhs and Ahhs. That's the effect good colors have on people.

(I'm SO sure many PC laptop owners would think, "Dang! I have this crappy black [insert PC laptop maker here] laptop. Next time I buy a laptop, I want an iBook!")

------------------
\ / ( ) ( ) | ) ( ) ( )
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

phillyjim
May 9, 2001, 12:00 PM

I don't think that we will see a new version of the iBook in only 2 months (MacWorld Expo NY), but I would encourage third party developers to get those colorful plastic lid cover replacements ready, cause if they are cool enough looking, I'll be ready to buy 4 or 5, even at $30-$40 a piece. Also, give us a transparant rubberized version! I'll have cash in hand!

Milio
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2001, 01:43 PM

I haven't seen one firsthand yet, but if the cover can be removed and it's translucent, then why not paint it on the inside?

geek77
May 9, 2001, 01:47 PM

I'd pay for a clear cover, so I could put my one designs under it.

zeltrio
Forum Regular
May 9, 2001, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by OverclockedHomoSapien:

<snip>
I'd like to see it in a bad-ass black, a deep, deep blue, and forest green (sage).
<snip>
hmmm....yes......black would be cool.....but only if they called it 'bad-ass black' and not something lame like 'bowling-ball black'. =]

-z

------------------
"Fight and fear not for the gates of paradise lie under the shade of the sword!"
"A mighty maze! but not without a plan."
-Alexander Pope

davi
May 10, 2001, 05:43 AM

Hey guys,

Go on over to the Apple Store for Education, click through the Higher Education section and select a well configured combo drive model. The top line on the subtotal page reads "iBook 500MHz White"!!!

Is this a slip-up? The retail Apple Store doesn't mention the color. See below...

Summary
� iBook 500MHz White
� 256MB SDRAM
� 20GB Ultra ATA drive
� DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
� AirPort Card
� 12.1-inch TFT XGA display
� 10/100BASE-T Ethernet
� 56K internal modem
� RGB video output
� Two USB ports
� FireWire port