Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Router improved my wireless signal!! (By alot!)

New Router improved my wireless signal!! (By alot!)
mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 05:54 PM

Heh. Congratulations. Glad it's sorted. Which router did you go for?

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2003, 06:18 PM

Well, My message text didnt come thru so I'll paraphrase it.

I bought a Netgear WGR614. In my opinion worth every penny (109 after rebate). I get 2 more bars in every location that I used to get signal and 3 bars in locations I didnt have signal at all.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by Bruck:

I bought a Netgear WGR614. In my opinion worth every penny (109 after rebate). I get 2 more bars in every location that I used to get signal and 3 bars in locations I didnt have signal at all.
Which Apple ABS did you have previously? It used to be siad of the old graphite and snow models that any third party WAP had 20% better range because the 3rd party WAP had external antennas.

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 08:55 PM

glad you're having better luck with yours than i did with mine. actually, mine worked well except for an inability to connect with my mail service. there were a few addresses that it simply could not connect to. i'd disconnect the router, and go straight from cable modem, and it worked fine...but add the router into the mix and it just wouldn't do it. must have been a problem between the router and my modem or isp. tech support is horrendous, btw (most tech support is). anyway, good luck with it. wish it had worked with my setup.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 10:42 PM

Please tell me that your $109 figure is Canadian. I picked up two of these for $65/each with rebate.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2003, 11:00 PM

Bruck, did you have a Airport Extreme before?

I am deciding on whether to get the Linksys or Netgear.

Apple Airport base station is a bit too expensive for me.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 11, 2003, 11:07 PM

I recently purchased a DI-614+ by D-Link http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=20 and it works fantastic! I've got super reception all over my house with an original AirPort card in my 15" TiBook. I couldn't be more pleased.
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2003, 12:03 AM

I started out using a CRT iMac as a software base station with a clamshell iBook, and had maximum reception everywhere in my house and yard. Then I got a TiBook and reception went down to 2 bars if I got any farther than 25 feet from the iMac. I bought a Netgear MR814 for $35, and I now get max reception everywhere in my house and yard with the TiBook. The only downside is that I have been unable to get port forwarding to work through the router.

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2003, 12:31 AM

yeah, i'm happy with the new d-link i have as well. great reception anywhere in the house, and i'm networked to my pc desktop too. gotta love the bright side of technology.

T9000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
I recently purchased a DI-614+ by D-Link http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=20 and it works fantastic! I've got super reception all over my house with an original AirPort card in my 15" TiBook. I couldn't be more pleased.
So, I can buy that router and buy an Airport Extreme card and it will work? I want the router for my peecee, and I want to be able to be online all over the house.

mintcake  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 04:33 AM

Originally posted by T9000:
So, I can buy that router and buy an Airport Extreme card and it will work? I want the router for my peecee, and I want to be able to be online all over the house.
I'll let you know shortly, I'm going for the same combo. :)

Buck_W
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 08:40 AM

I don't know. Before buying I searched the forums (especially networking) and some were very pleased with their D-Link (or Netgear) and others were not. I decided to go with the 614+ and it turned out to be a good decision for me. Literally all I had to do was plug it in and the AirPort card in my PB immediately recognized it. I was surfing the web in minutes.

Even setting the WEP numbers for encryption was a snap. If you end up purchasing one, I hope you are as satisfied
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 09:13 AM

You should have no issues. Does the Air.Xtreme not switch automatically?? The xtreme cards should be backwards compatible - as most cards. That's the key selling point in these. Most networks are not 'g' @ this point so they have to be able to do this. I'm about to do the same since the new PBs are xtreme only (internal) - but could buy a 3rd party 'b' rated to silde intp PC slot should I want to.

H!
--
En Guarde!

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 09:18 AM

Nice. Is that not a G router?? Which card to you have??

H!
--
En Guarde!

Forum Links
Forum Rules