Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I just switched, from a PC to a 12" PowerBook.

I just switched, from a PC to a 12" PowerBook.
uv23
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 04:26 PM

Hi everyone. Picked up a 12" PowerBook on Friday and love it. To be honest, I was terrified that I would end up with a warped monstrosity with 666 dead pixels after reading all of the stories on here, but as far as I can tell, it's perfect.

My only complaint is some weirdness with Office v.X which will hopefully get sorted, an apparent bug with Disk Utility, and the palmrests on the book get very very warm. From all of my lurking and forum reading, I thought the heat issue was resolved with the 1GHz 12" PB but it doesn't appear that way.

At home, I have the book attahced via DVI to a Samsung SyncMaster 171P, a wireless G linksys router, and an external keyboard/mouse. I love having the expandability at home and the ultra-portability for the road, and this being my first experience with wireless, I love it!

I'm a .NET web developr so choosing a mac for my personal machine was a big decision. Have to say that I love OSX so far, even if there is no forward delete key. Pretty slick. I'm still on 256mb ram but my upgrade to 768 should be arriving next week. I'm hoping it'll speed things up, particularly with Word since I'm manipulating 200-300 page docs and scrolling/oprations are a bit slow. Does anyone have any experience with ram upgrades and resultant performance improvements on the PBs?

Anyways enough blathering, just saying hi.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Nov 30, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by uv23:
even if there is no forward delete key
Welcome!

fn-delete will get you a forward delete. If you get the BT keyboard, there is a forward delete key for you.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 04:46 PM

Maybe you can clarify something else for me then. I did find out about using fn-delete on the actual PB keyboard to do forward deletes, but my external keyboard is a G4 tower keyboard that I snagged from work. It has a control key, alt/option key, and an apple/splat key, but no fn key. Ho would I do a forward delete on such a keyboard? *newb newb newb* Also, when I use my PB at home connected to the external monitor an such, the actual book is closed and the fan runs constantly. I assume it's because the book is closed and can't dissipate heat as well just from being open.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 05:08 PM

Maybe you can clarify something else for me then. I did find out about using fn-delete on the actual PB keyboard to do forward deletes, but my external keyboard is a G4 tower keyboard that I snagged from work. It has a control key, alt/option key, and an apple/splat key, but no fn key. Ho would I do a forward delete on such a keyboard? *newb newb newb* Also, when I use my PB at home connected to the external monitor an such, the actual book is closed and the fan runs constantly. I assume it's because the book is closed and can't dissipate heat as well just from being open.
The forward delete key is in the grouping of keys where the home/end/pg up/pg down are located. It should be labeled 'delete'.

As far as the fans coming on more, you can open the PB lid to make airflow better. I personally don't see a difference in the fans coming on in closed lid mode w/ external monitor otherwise.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by schk:
The forward delete key is in the grouping of keys where the home/end/pg up/pg down are located. It should be labeled 'delete'.

No "end" key either (argh), and "delete" is the equivalent of backspace. Seems as though Apple has gone through a few diffeent keyboard layout revisions.
As far as the fans coming on more, you can open the PB lid to make airflow better. I personally don't see a difference in the fans coming on in closed lid mode w/ external monitor otherwise.
It said in the instructions that in order to use only the external monitor, the PB had to be closed. At least I think it said that.

Man, it's weird going from power PC user to newb Mac user. A bit embarassing to be sure.

gator
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 05:22 PM

You could use the Displays part of System Preferences to rearrange the monitors such that your Samsung LCD becomes the primary LCD (just drag the menubar from the small screen to the big screen).
12" PB 1 GHz Combo, 60GB, 512MB, AE
40GB iPod

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 05:35 PM

It said in the instructions that in order to use only the external monitor, the PB had to be closed. At least I think it said that.
It only has to be closed when you turn on the PB or wake it from sleep. After the laptop is on and displaying to your external monitor, you can open and close the PB lid as much as you want and it won't put the machine to sleep like it normally does. You can see if that makes a difference with your fans coming on.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2003, 07:19 PM

Interesting. Why would you choose a Mac if you're a MS-oriented developer?

It goes to show you the design plusses of the PowerBooks though...

BTW, I'd recommend installing a 512 MB SODIMM.

jamester
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 07:26 PM

As others have said, welcome indeed. The 12" powerbook is a great machine! I got mine last Tuesday - and my 512MB memory upgrade should be arriving this coming week - probably Tuesday... I'm a happy guy.

Welcome to the club!
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

si_lance
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I think being an M$-oriented developer he has intimate knowledge on how crappy the OS is. Also he's broadening his knowledge by using a very friendly unix. I love Linux, but OS X is very nice in comparison, and seems to have an almost fanatical support group. People who run macs are much more friendlier I've noticed then some of the Linux gurus. Congratulations on the Powerbook. I would have gotten one if I could afford it.

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 08:11 PM

Well I actually lead two lives. My day job is as a web developer, 100% microsoft. But for the last 4 years, I've been working for design oriented companies. That, combined with my own experience with design, has given me a lot of exposure to Macs. My second life is as the owner of a small writing and publishing company. I bought the PB to facilitate my personal life (email, internet, etc) as well as my second company, which is dependent on apps like Office and the Adobe suite. Believe me, I do enough development at work that I have no desire to also do it on my off time. Anyways, that was long and drawn out, but you get the point. I'm a pretty diverse guy and it's a fun experience taking on a new OS.

It goes to show you the design plusses of the PowerBooks though...
Indeed, the sex factor of the PowerBook is undeniable. I spent a long time looking at plasticky PC laptops before coming to the conclusion that I needed a Mac, and no one was going to tel me otherwise.

BTW, I'd recommend installing a 512 MB SODIMM.
Yep that's what I've got coming next week, to bump me up to 768. Will I notice a substantial difference? I've been told it will "feel like a new computer."

uv23  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by si_lance:
I think being an M$-oriented developer he has intimate knowledge on how crappy the OS is.
MS-oriented web developer. .NET really is an amazing framework. I'd never go back to ASP or any of the other web technologies I've used. So don't expect me to start developing Web Objects just because I'm using a Mac now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2003, 11:34 PM

Yep that's what I've got coming next week, to bump me up to 768. Will I notice a substantial difference? I've been told it will "feel like a new computer."
If you were the type that only ever had one or two small apps and windows open at a time, then no, it would make no difference whatsoever.

But, for a "power user", absolutely.

docholiday
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 1, 2003, 01:33 AM

Welcome aboard!

Instead of the End/Home/etc. buttons you usually use Cmd-Arrow Keys (full line/document) and Alt-Arrow Keys (one word/paragraph) to navigate. Unfortunately, this does not work with Office X. I remember it being on Office 2001 (which I only used for a short time), but don't know why they removed it.

Play around with or read up shortcut combinations in your frequently used apps. (eg. Safari using Cmd-Arrow keys goes back/forward through a page, using shift in addition to that cycles through the tabs)

Also, I would recommend getting Sidetrack, so you can right-click and scroll with your trackpad: http://www.ragingmenace.com/software...ack/index.html

once again, welcome!

docholiday
Powerbook 15.2" G4 1.5Ghz
1GB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm
4GB iPod Mini, Rev 2, Green

Forum Links
Forum Rules