Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Personal File Sharing option turns itself on and off

Personal File Sharing option turns itself on and off
PowerMatt
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 12:48 AM

My Problem: My Personal Fire Sharing option intermittently turns itself off without me telling it to do so. It seems like it happens everytime I reboot, restart, wake, etc. Is this a known problem? What can I do.

I have an AlPB with AP.

PS I tried to search the forum for "personal file sharing" but the search feature seems to be down.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

bmyers2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
My Problem: My Personal Fire Sharing option intermittently turns itself off without me telling it to do so. It seems like it happens everytime I reboot, restart, wake, etc. Is this a known problem? What can I do.

I have an AlPB with AP.

PS I tried to search the forum for "personal file sharing" but the search feature seems to be down.
I found this thread as I am trying to figure out why my personal web sharing is always turned off after rebooting etc..

I have an iMac and I recently bought a dual 1.8 which is the machine I am having the problem with. The iMac doesn't lose the personal file sharing on reboot/boot etc..

According to Apple Support article 107367 Personal File Sharing Stops When Not Connected to Network

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107367

When I boot my G5, there is a period where I am not on my wireless home network. It takes a few seconds as the name of my network scrolls across the top of the screen where the Airport signal strength eventually displays. I wonder if this has something to do with the way Airport Extreme works? I have Linksys equipment in my pc's (including Linksys base station) and have never had a problem accessing my network from the Mac side - just a new delay that seems to disable personal file sharing each time as the OS sees I am not on a network. I continue to seek the reason or solution to this - it doesn't make sense that I have to enable pfs each time.

I would be curious if someone with the ABS has the same delay and whether pfs is disabled each time on boot etc.. The one thing different between my two Mac's is the Extreme version in the G5.

Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules