Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Did you see the basketball brawl?

Did you see the basketball brawl?
Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 01:40 AM

I think Rodeny Dangerfield (rest in peace) could now change his joke to:

"I went to a fight once, and a basketball game broke out!"

Seriously, that Pistons/Pacers fight was nuts - people throwing beer and popcorn on the players, punches being thrown (and landed) on fans and players, mass chaos, the game having to be called, etc.

Is the NBA having ratings problems or something?

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:51 AM

damn missed it, ill have to watch sports center to catch it...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2004, 01:55 AM

I WANT VIDEO. NOW.
ice

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2004, 02:00 AM

NBA = RIP
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2004, 02:04 AM

holy crap..

i just saw it. and it was "NICE". whoa, NBA=RIP seems a good description.

tee-vo it please someone. i wanna play slow mo with some of those punches.
ice

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 20, 2004, 02:33 AM

ask and you shall receive: video (real video format, but pretty good quality)

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
ask and you shall receive...

wow.not bad...some pretty good punches...

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 02:44 AM

That's what you get when you're league is littered with a bunch of cultureless, uneducated, retards.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 02:51 AM

And they wonder why people don't watch NBA anymore..

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2004, 02:52 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
That's what you get when you're league is littered with a bunch of cultureless, uneducated, retards.
that seemed rough.

fair enough.
ice

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 02:58 AM

i watched it live.

incredible. the fans sucked too.
iamwhor3hay

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 03:04 AM

what a bunch of thugs, both players and fans alike. i hope many a charge, fine and permanent ban from the league results from this.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2004, 03:16 AM

dunno why I'm so interested in this. I hate watching NBA ball. but I do enjoy fights on occasion.

you DON'T throw a drink on a guy that's 7' tall (or whatever) unless you want to get jumped on. really. regardless of his profession, your current location, whatever. easy.

you DON'T square up with said 7' tall guy AFTER he's been in a ruckus over having a drink thrown on him. ("square up" = prepare to fight. in this case, i'm speaking of the spanish looking guy, short stocky, that jumped in front of Artest - on the court). that guy came on the court to start trouble. should have not left his Bud Light and stayed in the stands like a good boy.

you DO defend and protect your fellow players. you do. everyone knows that. they're a team and they're paid a lot/too much money to think that way.

you DO, however, get your wits about you and get out of current situation if it's bad for you on any/many levels. like if you're a professional basketball player and you find yourself in the stands beating on someone who's on the floor. or if fans are closing in on your playing field. head for the locker room, fast. but wait. my teammate/co-worker/my boy/my nigga/whatever is gettin' jumped and such over there.. **** this, i'm helpin' him.

easy enough to drop to the 'stupid thugs from the streets making too much money. ha ha'.

but that's too easy.

that dude got knocked the �uuck out.
ice

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 03:38 AM

IceEnclosure, just what are your point exactly? That it's actually okay to fight because it's "enjoyable"?
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Nov 20, 2004 at 03:56 AM. )

Scallywag
Nov 20, 2004, 03:41 AM

And people complain that hockey is too violent.

IMHO, that totally rocked. I hate basketball, but I'd watch it if it had that kind of hockey-like violence more often.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 03:53 AM

I grabbed the video, but it's in WMV format.

Anyway.. Linky

27.1mb.. 8mins 40sec.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 04:03 AM

This fight is going to go down in history. I can't wait for the rematch.

WTF?????????????????????????????
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 04:18 AM

a mac site and we only have the option of real (yeah right) or wmv (not on my time)...

anyone have a quicktime of the brawl?
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 04:45 AM

VLC is your friend.

these videos don't show everything though. some of the good stuff is left out.
iamwhor3hay

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2004, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
IceEnclosure, just what are your point exactly? That it's actually okay to fight because it's "enjoyable"?
I don't always have a point.

I'm saying two things i guess..

1. this isn't the players fault entirely. some blame for not running for the hills, yea. but whatever whatever.

2. that latino guy got knocked out nicely.
ice

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 06:05 AM

f the NBA, that was hilarious. those guys need their egos taken down a few notches anyway.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 09:38 AM

Very upsetting to watch. The players that went into the stands, were they sure they were going after the right guy? Did they care? Do they accept responsibility for causing a riot which may involve and put in jeopardy many otherwise innocent fans?

Didn't they throw the first punch? I know stuff was thrown, and there were fans on the court, and the fans incited this, sure. But still. If I'm in charge Artest and Jackson are done for the season.

And we're talking about Ron Artest, people. I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not.

Adopt-A-Yankee

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2004, 10:06 AM

Bah, my DVR stopped recording a few minutes before the riot.

Dec. 25 @ Indiana will be interesting. I doubt there'll be a gift exchange between the two teams.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 10:21 AM

That latino guy who came on the court to cause trouble got owned, and he deserved it.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 10:25 AM

go see it on espn if you haven't. shyt was da shizzle!

Montezuma58
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 10:29 AM

Unbelievable. Why would anybody waste perfectly good beer on an NBA player?

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2004, 10:45 AM

Good beer? I'm sure they were only tossing Bud Light.

Montezuma58
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 10:52 AM

But there are plenty of poor, starving college students that would be grateful if they could afford a Bud Light.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 11:01 AM

that was just nuts.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 11:05 AM

Pathetic.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

PowerMatt
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 11:15 AM

This comes just a week after Ron Artest asked his coach for a month off to recoup from the stress of recording and promoting his new hip hop album over the summer. NBA players have completely lost touch with what it is like to be a real person that has to function in society with other people. I guess Artest is going to get his time off as a result of suspension.

Stupid thugs.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 11:45 AM

I removed the flick from my iDisk.

( Last edited by scottiB; Nov 27, 2004 at 08:01 PM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

rezzi
Nov 20, 2004, 11:50 AM

Rick Carlisle never confirmed just why he benched Artest. You have to remember that Ronnie turned 25 only a few days ago, very young and hot-headedly immature. Still sorry I missed the live fight, though. Reminds me of that old-school brawl between Darryl Dawkins(Sixers) and Mo' Lucas(Blazers). Dr. J just sat on the floor and watched those nuts duke it out. Classic.

While all of the players in the league are not thugs, yes there are some thugs that play. Makes the rest of the league look bad. I'm normally a very level-headed guy, but not sure if I'd sit still after having bottles and chairs thrown at me unprovoked. If Artest truly wanted time off to promote his album, looks like he could really get it this time.

faragbre967
Senior User
Nov 20, 2004, 12:19 PM

I don't understand why everyone is blaming the Detroit fans for this. I live in the Detroit area and I know the people around here can be pretty bad, but regardless of what is said or thrown at a professional sports player, he/she should never react the way Artest did. It's shameful that he would jump into the stands to go after the guy who threw a beer at him. I think almost the entire situation was Ron Artest's fault; Ben Wallace provoked the fight with that shove, but Artest started the fan/player brawl. At the very least though, that probably just started a sweet rivalry between the Pistons and the Pacers.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2004, 12:58 PM

That was funny

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 12:58 PM

With emphasis on uneducated.

But seriously, are you describing the fans, the players, or people in general?
I, ASIMO.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by PowerMatt:
This comes just a week after Ron Artest asked his coach for a month off to recoup from the stress of recording and promoting his new hip hop album over the summer.
Yeah that's ridiculous. That would be like me asking my boss for paid leave to work on my guitar playing. My boss would probably respond "how about permanent unpaid leave?"

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by faragbre967:
I think almost the entire situation was Ron Artest's fault; Ben Wallace provoked the fight with that shove, but Artest started the fan/player brawl.
It was ALL artest.

There is no need, when your team is up 15 with 45 seconds left, to commit such a hard foul. Ben Wallace was just retaliating while making the statement that such a ridiculous, potentially injury-causing foul is completely uncalled for when a game is so out of reach.

Screw Artest. Ban him forever.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Here's
Wow...

Adopt-A-Yankee

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Here's (.mov/50MB/8:59) the ESPN replay of if it after the late NBA game.
I'm amazed at how the ESPN announcer portrays the melee as all the fan's doing. A beer hits Artest, he charges and attacks a fan who is still holding his beer, and when other fans try to defend the fan that Artest is trying to kill, the ESPN announcer makes it seem like the fans are at fault.

WTF is a player doing beating on a fan in the stands?

I've been to tons of sports events, and getting sprayed with some thrown beers is nothing new. Most know how to deal with it. It's not reason enough to run into the stands and attack a fan.

ESPN should be just as ashamed for their pro-player coverage of this event... blaming the fans for Artest getting hit by others as he beats on a fan in the 15th row.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:22 PM

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 01:24 PM

Good column by Dan Wetzel...

When you take a long, emotionless look at it � which is what first David Stern and later a Michigan court surely will do � the fault for the wildness that erupted at the end of the Indiana Pacers' victory at the Detroit Pistons on Friday will land at the feet of one guy, Ron Artest.

The Indiana forward made a serious and intolerable (no matter how understandable) mistake when his reaction to getting hit with a cup of beer was to hunt down the perpetrator.

Enraged, he climbed over press row, jumped the hockey boards and proceeded to attack a spectator in the stands. A near-riot broke out afterward.

It is an act that no athlete should ever, ever engage in, no matter how much a fan may deserve it.

To make matters worse in this case, no camera angle or eyewitness account I am aware of suggests that the fan Artest got a hold of � the guy in the black shirt � threw the beer.

That guy seems way too far away to even make the throw. ESPN's Jim Gray reported it was the fan with the white hat, which seems plausible since he later punched Artest from behind. And if you watch closely, the moment Artest grabs the guy in the black shirt, it is clear the fan is holding his drink in his left hand.

This looks like an innocent bystander.

Which is why David Stern has two choices. He either turns a deaf ear to all of the hysterical apologists out there and slaps Artest with a historic suspension, or says that when players are confronted by one out-of-control fan they have the right to charge into the stands and beat the hell out of the first guy they see.

Know this: When the video is played in the calm of a courtroom, Artest had better hope the guy in the black shirt was double fisting or he is cooked.

Teammate Stephen Jackson won't fare much better. After the black shirt's friend understandably threw a drink at Artest in an effort to stop the attack, the eager-to-fight Jackson raced over to throw a sucker punch that his career and bank account are likely to regret.

On a side note, Jermaine O'Neal can thank his lucky stars that his front leg slipped on the wet floor when he later threw that running haymaker at the clueless fat guy in the Pistons shirt who had gotten into it with Artest. Watch that punch again on the video. If O'Neal's left leg plants and he gets full force behind the punch, that fan gets hit harder than Rudy T.

The entire episode made for impossible-to-ignore video and will keep the chattering class going just as the Terrell Owens-"Desperate Housewives" debate was playing out.

But in the end this has to go back to Artest's reaction. Not to excuse the original beer-throwing hooligan (here is hoping he's arrested), but nutcase fans are nothing new. Artest isn't the first athlete to get hit by a beer.

None of the real craziness happens if Artest doesn't blow his stack. Everything dies down if Artest doesn't break the cardinal rule of athlete/fan interaction � no touching. This is nothing more than a satisfying victory for the Pacers if Artest acts like a professional.

NBA player is one of many jobs in which restraint is a prerequisite. Police officers deal with it on a nightly basis. Ditto for bartenders, bouncers, soldiers and so on.

The public occasionally may be drunken, pathetic idiots who lash out full of the courage that comes from the crowd. Getting hit with a beer may not be fun. But sadly that is one of the tradeoffs of the job.

When a fan crosses the line, you leave it up to security, you press charges, you turn the other cheek. No matter how tough that is.

You never, ever go into the stands to attack a fan. Ever.

Because you might punch an innocent person, incite a riot, break the law, get sued and give your sport as black of an eye as it's seen.

If David Stern doesn't want to teach Ron Artest that lesson, the legal system almost assuredly will.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 01:33 PM

I'm very impressed with Rasheed Wallace. If you had asked me 5 years ago if i thought he ever would step up to calm things down like that, i would have said "no way in hell."

artest and jackson (worse than artest IMO) could stand to learn a little form rasheed.

sideus
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:34 PM

A couple of fans just bought(won?) a NBA team last night. Lawsuits.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
I'm very impressed with Rasheed Wallace. If you had asked me 5 years ago if i thought he ever would step up to calm things down like that, i would have said "no way in hell."

artest and jackson (worse than artest IMO) could stand to learn a little form rasheed.
2 years ago even. But Sheed's won a title, and was in his home arena.

Jackson seemed like he was LOOKING for a fight though. Even Mike Breen and Bil, Walton were like "Uh oh, somebody's got to get him outta here!"

Adopt-A-Yankee

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 02:19 PM

man. nobody in detroit can behave themselves.

"when keeping it real goes wrong"

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 20, 2004, 03:09 PM

Many NBA players = Neanderthalean inspired lowlifes.

Watching a bunch of unitelligent, overgrown fools run around, chasing some orange ball is pretty damn boring, but I like this new trend the NBA is taking. Beating up fans and acting like ghetto thugs ? Screw the orange ball, I might just tune in every week if they keep this up. A little bit more blood next time would be desirable, and how about we let them have a few weapons also. Two teams just going at it, and ocassionally a fan or two getting injured. Now that would be interesting.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 03:12 PM

and take that shot clock down to 12-15 seconds while youre at it.

RUN MOTHER****ER, RUN.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2004, 03:19 PM

That may well be the most awesome thing I've seen in ages! It almost makes up for no hockey this season!

I still can't find where O'Neal ploughs the infamous fat guy!!! Is it shown in those vids?!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:

rasheed wallace has really simmered down. he dropped the number of his technical fouls down quite a bit.
iamwhor3hay

Forum Links
Forum Rules