Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Crucial Memory Woes...

Crucial Memory Woes...
Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2005, 03:37 PM

Last week i ordered a 256GB stick of RAM for my 15" Powerbook, this one to be exact, and after installing it I would get a kernal panic and/or system freeze within two minutes of starting the OS. I called Crucial up, explained the problem, and they sent me a new stick. I got the new stick today and after installing it I have the same problem as before, kernal panics and system freezes. I have tried the memory in both slots, and ran the Apple hardware test which found no problems.

I don't have the luck to get 2 bad sticks of RAM in a row, right? I figured Crucial was the way to go to avoid all the bad ram stuff. Any ideas?

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2005, 09:53 PM

There's about a 1% failure rate on any brand of RAM, so although its a long shot, it's not State Lottery time if you get 2 in a row, especially if the vendor had a bad batch. The 15" 1 GHz and 1.25 GHz and the 17" 1 GHz and 1.33 GHz are the pickiest Powerbooks for RAM compatibility. I suggest you respectfully ask and take a full refund from Crucial, and then get a module from Data Memory Systems http://www.datamem.com/viewcat.asp_Q_C_E_1108

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules