Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > core duo 2

core duo 2
jonicherry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2006, 09:35 AM

So think sceret says apple are going to use the core duo 2 in the mac pro.

I dont understand, how come only apple is using the core chip in its desktops? both sony and dell using pentium d or pentium extreme, why dont they use the the core duos yet? how much better are the duos than the pentiums?

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2006, 12:05 PM

I don't think pentiums even stack up to core duo 2 chips whatsoever. As to why Sony and Dell aren't using them...I'm not sure. Maybe they have specific models that do--again I haven't checked. Perhaps Apple has drafted a limited time exclusivity agreement with Intel to allow them to put the latest and greatest gear into their computers for a limited time. Unlikely, but I guess in the end you would need to find out from the respective companies.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 1, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by jonicherry

I dont understand, how come only apple is using the core chip in its desktops? both sony and dell using pentium d or pentium extreme, why dont they use the the core duos yet? how much better are the duos than the pentiums?
Pentium D sucks mucho power.

I'm glad Apple is avoiding Pentium D. They pretty much have to avoid Pentium D for the Mac mini and the iMacs though.

Anyways, I expect the PC makers to use Core 2 Duo heavily in their desktops.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2006, 12:20 PM

I dont understand, how come only apple is using the core chip in its desktops? both sony and dell using pentium d or pentium extreme,
The Pentium line of processors is basically finished. Its being replaced by the Core lineup, which includes the Core Duo (laptop chip), and the Core 2 Duo - of which there is a desktop and laptop version (IIRC)
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2006, 04:17 PM

Desktop motherboards for the Core Duo aren't easily available, since the Core Duo is officially a laptop chip. Since Apple contracts their own motherboards, they have more flexibility in this matter. And of course, from a system design view, the Mac Mini and iMac are closer to laptops than desktops, given their form-factors.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2006, 03:42 AM

I dont understand, how come only apple is using the core chip in its desktops?
They aren't.

The Mac Pro will use the Core 2 which comes in a notebook (Merom), desktop (Conroe) and 'server' or SMP version (Woodcrest). The Mac Pro will certainly not use Merom, so no notebook CPU in Apple's desktop line. You shouldn't mix up the Core 2 with the Core Duo which is basically 'just' a notebook chip.

A Conroe or Woodcrest CPU will wipe up the floor with a P-D. PC manufacturers will start switching to Conroe/Woodcrest as soon as they ship. The Pentium is basically dead (with the P-D as a desktop dual core stop-gap measure) and it's just a question of time until everybody will switch to Core/Core 2 CPUs.

Apple is perfectly in line with the PC world here. Actually, they are even doing a tad better by sparing us from things like the Celerons.

iMacfan
Senior User
Jun 2, 2006, 05:07 PM

Actually, the replacement for the Core duo is called the Core2Duo - but calling it just the Core2 would be (slightly) more sensible!
http://www.ppconmac.com - Mac compatability for your PocketPC!

G5man
Forum Regular
Jun 3, 2006, 01:18 AM

Core2 is better than Pentnium D, less power consumption, more power to process data. Hopefully the Mac Pro will be utilizing the more powerful Woodcrest core on the Core 2 Processors.
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules