Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The Future of Apple TV: Goodbye MTV

The Future of Apple TV: Goodbye MTV
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 03:47 PM

So I was thinking about this the other day. Apple already streams video trailers on demand to your Front Row Enabled Mac. And they have Music Videos (a ton) for sale on their iTunes Music Store. With the new settlement with Apple Records wrapping up nicely before the launch of the Apple TV, why couldn't Apple create a "Media Channel" on the Apple TV that always had streaming music videos and trailers to movies that they carry on the iTunes Music Store.

This could go even further by incorporating the technology TiVo already uses (Press "Thumbs Up" if you would like to record this show). How about "Press the "Play" Button on your Apple Remote if you would like to purchase this music video / TV Show / Movie". A Music Video channel would be seen as a feature that customers would love, they could even have genre channels like "Rock Music Videos" or "Pop Music Videos" or "New Music". Apple would like it because it would give them an opportunity to directly advertise to their demographic and their installed user base.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2007, 04:16 PM

Hey, anything that would kill MTV is pretty awesome in my book. I'd be all for this.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 04:22 PM

Sounds like a really good idea. The Apple TV would certainly already be wired for this, since it can connect to a router.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 19, 2007, 05:58 PM

Does MTV even play music videos anymore?

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 04:55 PM

What's MTV?
..... ovdje se glasovi odljepljuju iz rijeći i niko nikoga ništa ne razumije.

G5man
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2007, 11:37 PM

MHD plays music vids in HD from 12-5
Mac mini 1.42 Ghz 1GB RAM 80 GB HD + 160 GB External HD

mrgaskell
Senior User
Mar 7, 2007, 03:30 PM

Without MTV how would corporate American homogenize, produce and package every new trend and artist to all the teens? Without this well-oiled machine to introduce new styles and products through paid commercials and unpaid commercials (AKA music videos), which can conveniently be found at every suburban fashion mall the following week, our consumerist based economy would come to a crashing halt, thus bringing down every other world economy until we are back in the dark ages.

Reason leads me to this inevitable conclusion: MTV, not Democracy and Freedom, are the true pillars of our civilization.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 04:36 PM

I don't think there would be the bandwidth to handle actual streaming video formatted for aTV, and a playlist of fast start videos (where video will begin playing when enough has loaded) will result in pauses between segments.

I'm sure these problems could be overcome though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules