Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ATI Remote Wonder, anyone have one?

ATI Remote Wonder, anyone have one?
tr
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2003, 02:07 AM

http://mirror.ati.com/products/remotewonder/index.html
so, the title says it all. it looks cool, like an actual remote. i'm using a keysapn digital media remote , and while it works well, i don't like this super small size, since i always end up misplacing it. plus i hate the cursor controls. it's pretty neat that the remote wonder has a directional thumbpad, with right and left click mouse buttons.

thanks,

tr

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 02:03 PM

I just got one to use with my EyeTV, and it is really really awesome. You can get them off ebay OEM for $30, and it is well worth it. Far better product than the keyspan.

tr  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
I just got one to use with my EyeTV, and it is really really awesome. You can get them off ebay OEM for $30, and it is well worth it. Far better product than the keyspan.
sweet! that's what i wanted to hear!

tr

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 12:40 PM

I'm having problems installing the driver posted on ATI's website. It keeps crashing (unexpectedly quit message) upon completion. Then when I attempt to run the driver from the PREFs control panel, it does the same.

Anyone else? Am I doing something wrong?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 01:45 PM

What OS are you running?

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 02:00 PM

I'm running OS X 10.2.6 on a G4. In other words, I appear to meet all the spec requirements.

tr  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 03:53 PM

have you tried repairing permissions?

tr

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 04:51 PM

have you tried repairing permissions?
I ran DiskWarrior, is that what you had in mind or something more specific?

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 05:25 PM

HD/applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Hit the first aid tab, and run repair permissions

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 06:18 PM

HD/applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Hit the first aid tab, and run repair permissions
Thaks for the tip but no luck.

I've never had a problem like this before and can't figure out how or why this is happening.

Grrrrr!

Weezer
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 08:23 PM

what did disk warrior say? how much disk space do you have free? did you try restarting...? heh

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2003, 09:00 PM

I've got about 4GB of extra disk space. Disk Warrior found few problems but not many. Nothing that affected the ATI driver. And yes, I restarted after running DW as well as Disk Utility.

I've got a Radeon 9000 card, I wonder if there's a conflict? Nah, not with another ATI product.

I'm trying to get ATI tech support but their first reply to me sort of missed the mark. They thought I was talking about an Xclaim card!
No reply back since I provided links to their own product page and driver download page.

Arghhhh!

I suspect the driver is so new, and likely few remotes sold to mac users, that conflict reports aren't in yet.

Question: when you installed the driver, did you do so without the USB receiver connected, then restart with the USB receiver?

Also, is there any un-install procedure that you know of?

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 03:52 PM

Here's an update with my Remote Wonder driver problem, in case anyone is interested:

After several days of totally inept email support from ATI (going in circles 10 times over), I gave up and called them. Within 15 minutes I had received first rate help from a TierII support guy who told me that there had been other reports like mine. <whew>

It's amazing how pathetic email support can be while phone support is a total 180 in knowledge, speed, and professionalism.

Anyway, fwiw, there you have it. Now I hope ATI releases a patch or new driver.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2003, 07:07 AM

I'm considering getting a Remote Wonder (from eBay). lvee have you resolved the driver issues? Is anyone using one in Panther? Any other comments?

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 09:32 AM

ATI never did post an update. I did call them to ask about an ETA on an update but they couldn't give me one.

Anyway, the problem *was* resolved just this past weekend when I installed Panther on a separate drive. So I can use the remote wonder on Panther, but not under OS 10.2.8

Go figure.

lv

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2003, 11:04 AM

Does the remote/software have a broad range of programmability? Say I were to get a Televio card for my Power Mac, could I have it so that the number buttons on the remote work with the tuner? Can you make them into hotkeys?

lvee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2003, 01:21 PM

I haven't had a chance to test the software out yet but from what I saw, it is pretty programmable. I also have the Keyspan remote and if it works the same way, I suspect it can execute any keystroke you wish. Just assign keystrokes to specific buttons and away you go. (just guessing)

If Televio has keystroke commands, my guess is that you can use the remote. Sorry I can't be more definitive.

I wonder if you can just download the driver, install it, and test out the programming options?

http://www.ati.com/support/products/...sxdrivers.html

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 05:37 PM

good to hear that the drivers work with panther I saw the remote wonder mentioned in another post and its shipping now. as long as I can use it to change channels on my eyetv then I'm happy. Cheaper than keyspan, free shipping, what more could you ask for?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2003, 08:07 PM

well I found the answer I was looking for.

"Misc New Actions/Features
A number of new actions have been added, including Rip for iTunes (use the Record button), full-screen mode for QuickTime Player (use the maximize button) as well as a complete profile for El Gato's EyeTV built-in. Special background application functions such as full-screen for QuickTime Player are now available from the Application Control action menu as well."

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 10:28 AM

I made the jump last night and bought an OEM one on eBay. The software looked pretty sweet to me. I'll give my "review" when I get it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 05:22 PM

I still have another 2 days before mine is late. Did anyone get theirs yet? When you do post some comments and tips if you have them.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by SSharon:
I still have another 2 days before mine is late. Did anyone get theirs yet? When you do post some comments and tips if you have them.
What do you want to know? I've had one for about 2 months and love it. Works flawlessly with my EyeTV, no issues with panther. If you have a specific question I'd be happy to answer it.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2003, 07:23 PM

Thanks Weezer. How's the range, any interference from other wireless devices? Can the power button turn the computer on/off? I'm sure I'll think of more when mine comes.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2003, 06:22 PM

Well I got my remote today. Installed it in 10 seconds and it works great. No problems at all. I can't imagine how I will remember what every button does though in every program since they are all different. Its got good software and knows to switch profiles based on what apps are open and active. Nice product.

cougar337
Aug 11, 2004, 07:49 PM

Thought I would give a free bump, I was looking for a remote for my iTunes and have a Keyspan on order through Buy.com but they are taking their sweet time. I think I'll cancel my order with them and get one of these off eBay. Thanks!!!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 02:26 AM

you won't be disappointed. I've had my remote for a long time now and it has always worked well plus it's still on the original batteries (4AAA). I have also seen the newer ATI remote wonder II but its larger and looks a bit odd in my view. The good points are double the range, but that comes at the expense of having a much larger base for it, and it has better buttons but I still like the old one better.

Forum Links
Forum Rules